• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Soupy's belts

What is your definition of to hot of clutches? I checked mine on my new SW yesterday and they were HOT to the touch, like I couldn't hold my hand on them. On the 310hp apex it was always cool enough to touch.

Hot enough to cause premature belt failure, delamination.

IMO the CAI under the hood is robbing just too much air for the engine that could be going to the clutches also. I want to put the CAI filter back out of the hood where I had it to help get that cool air back into the intake tract as well, but will need a tune change with more fuel to prevent from going way too lean. The bit of testing I've done with under hood thermometer showed me that its just hot the air going into the CAI and the air around the clutches. Only way they stay cool now is if your just going easy up at 80MPH and keeping it under 100MPH and staying off the loud flipper. When using the flipper a lot, stuff gets real hot, real fast on the bigger tunes! So between heat and rough ground it gets rough for the belt life.

Even unblocked I still don't think that single intake snorkel on the clutch side is capable of providing enough flow to the proper area needed to cool the clutches. For starters it's located ON TOP of the clutch guard!

Hauck vent works very well. My clutches are drastically cooler using this. Has a frog skin behind the vent for snow dust. Very nice piece.

The cowl already has a vent at the rear, so only makes sense to have one in the front for air flow.

Hauck uses MoFlow, which is what I used. I wanted to support the dealer but Hauck kinda pissed me off when they took my order over the phone but neglected to tell me that they didn't have the parts in stock and didn't know when they would be receiving more. MoFlow was great, even made a custom mirror-imaged vent that I can install on the exhaust side if needed. I really don't think that little stock vent in the back is placed properly or sufficient for the amount of cooling required.

Nice work soup.. Cutting up the belt guard looks like a bit of puzzle...

I did my best to go straight thru with the hole saw but it wasn't perfect. That guard is junk anyway after 18 blown belts!

I did my best to go straight thru with the hole saw but it wasn't perfect. That guard is junk anyway after 18 blown belts!

So my guard took 18 blown belts? I am guessing you probably had to straighten it out a few times. Did panel survive all 18 belts?

So my guard took 18 blown belts? I am guessing you probably had to straighten it out a few times. Did panel survive all 18 belts?

Not really. The first blown belt after install, your guard deformed so badly that it pushed on and ripped the lower panel away from 1 of the rivets. I wasn't very happy about it, took some pics & was gonna send them to you but I quickly realized the problem was more mine than yours.

Blew my first belt at about 400 miles, blew the lower panel to pieces, got it warrantied luckily. I'd say I've blown about 10-12 belts with your guard in place and straightened it out 3-4 times. I'd like to replace it if I can confirm hot belt resolution, which is going to take more miles. Overall it's done its job very well, considering the abuse.

It sounds so simple yet the engineers from both Cat and Yamaha haven't figured out how to vent the clutch area on their flagship sleds. What a shame that many have to deal with this on such an awesome sled. I feel very lucky that mine is not a belt blower but I feel for those like soupy who have been going through this crap for two seasons. I hope you have found the solution soup and now you can enjoy this awesome sled without all the headaches.

Are the majority of the belt blowers tuned? My Dad has a 17 LTX SE with 3,500 miles, original belt. After reading everything on here I pulled over after a long pull to check the clutches and they weren't that hot. Warm to the touch actually. He also has an 8JP belt with zero belt dust. Did he just get lucky? Or are most of the belt issues associated with 240-270 HP?

It sounds so simple yet the engineers from both Cat and Yamaha haven't figured out how to vent the clutch area on their flagship sleds. What a shame that many have to deal with this on such an awesome sled. I feel very lucky that mine is not a belt blower but I feel for those like soupy who have been going through this crap for two seasons. I hope you have found the solution soup and now you can enjoy this awesome sled without all the headaches.
I sure had a blast last wknd!

Are the majority of the belt blowers tuned? My Dad has a 17 LTX SE with 3,500 miles, original belt. After reading everything on here I pulled over after a long pull to check the clutches and they weren't that hot. Warm to the touch actually. He also has an 8JP belt with zero belt dust. Did he just get lucky? Or are most of the belt issues associated with 240-270 HP?
My buddy blew his first belt with under 100 miles on the machine, all stock.

Blew my first belt with only a few hundred stock miles too.

He got lucky. Go buy a lottery ticket! Lol

Blew my first belt with only a few hundred stock miles too.
My own 18 blew the first belt at just over 300 miles. Both my buddy and I are running the 8DN since. They still blow, just not as often. We found that there was alot of belt dust from the 8JP, even with the short amount of miles we put on them. 8DN's have far less dust.
I did get 740 miles on a 8DN on a trip North a few weeks ago, where we were running to-the-pin pretty much the whole trip. But I looked at it when I got home, and a cord was starting to come out the side, so I tossed it.
Like to see Yamaha develop a new tougher belt, preferably the Mitsuboshi brand that makes the 8DN

Back