• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark plugs

That's right. But why would guys with the Apex drop colder to a 10? Or guys with tunes drop to a colder 9? I guess what I'm trying to find out do these plugs burn that much more that it's required to drop a heat range? If our 998T uses an 8 seems like you would want to stick with an 8 unless there is some reason IE more heat from these plugs. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's right. But why would guys with the Apex drop colder to a 10? Or guys with tunes drop to a colder 9? I guess what I'm trying to find out do these plugs burn that much more that it's required to drop a heat range? If our 998T uses an 8 seems like you would want to stick with an 8 unless there is some reason IE more heat from these plugs. Thanks for the info.

Hotter plugs have a tendency to knock with higher compression or higher boost. It’s a good idea to run cooler plugs in these situations to prevent this.

Understood. It seems like under those conditions one would want to drop the heat range regardless of plug brand or type. But I am trying to get a handle on this EK double prong plug. Does it make that much more of an explosion than a single prong plug of like heat range, that it would require dropping to colder plug?

Understood. It seems like under those conditions one would want to drop the heat range regardless of plug brand or type. But I am trying to get a handle on this EK double prong plug. Does it make that much more of an explosion than a single prong plug of like heat range, that it would require dropping to colder plug?

Naw that double prong stuff is mostly BS.
As you run higher boost it will eventually require more ignition energy to prevent misfires. Tungsten electrode plugs have always allowed me to run more boost before running into problems. They have a very small electrode that focuses energy and helps prevent misfires.
Back in the day the older dirt bikes with weak ignitions could really benefit big time from using a tungsten or iridium plug. They also last 4~5 times as long as a standard electrode plug.

I run Denso IU31A plugs that are like a 10.5 heat range, but I also run over 20lbs of boost so it might be overkill for most.

Has anyone on here actually ran an NGK CR*EK plug in their own 998T engine whether it be a heat range of 8,9 or 10?

Ok lol. But you have ran the engine? I am still a bit confused why everyone is dropping a heat range with these plugs whether it's in a stock or modified application. I have been doing lots of back reading on these plugs and dropping a range seems the norm.

Ok lol. But you have ran the engine? I am still a bit confused why everyone is dropping a heat range with these plugs whether it's in a stock or modified application. I have been doing lots of back reading on these plugs and dropping a range seems the norm.
I have been using CR8EK for a couple of years now. The main advantage is that the flame kernel goes straight out from the electrode rather than wrapping around the single electrode. This promotes a better flame for ignition. Also these plugs don't require gapping like a single electrode does. Don't be afraid to use them as there is no negatives with them. PS I have heard that irridium plugs don't like the very cold for starting.

I have been using CR8EK for a couple of years now. The main advantage is that the flame kernel goes straight out from the electrode rather than wrapping around the single electrode. This promotes a better flame for ignition. Also these plugs don't require gapping like a single electrode does. Don't be afraid to use them as there is no negatives with them. PS I have heard that irridium plugs don't like the very cold for starting.

Actually the gaps on the CR8EK need to be the correct gap. Excessive plug gap can cause ignition delay and damage coil packs. The Ignition system being used dictates spark plug gap, not spark plug type.

As far as iridium plugs not starting? I have had no issues. They maintain the proper gap up 5~10 times as long as a standard plugs. They also require less ignition energy and are better at carbon shedding.

There’s a reason iridium plugs are more expensive, they just plain work better than nickel electrode spark plugs. M2C

I have had no starting issues with the iridium plugs I believe it starts better with them

Back