• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spindle bushing removal, premium bushing upgrade

grizztracks

Tech Advisor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
FX Nytro RTX, RS Vector, SR Viper RTX SE
I order a set of premium bushings from UP bushman. The upgrade kit is all stainless steel with a full length single bushing that fits snugly in the spindle and should last much longer than other options. Here are some pictures of removing the OEM bushings and installing the kit.

Clean end of bi-metal bushing and locate slit:
IMG_0012.JPG

Use a tapered punch to roll the bushing starting at the slit:
IMG_0027.JPG

With the bushing rolled over use a socket or bushing driver to drive both bushing out at the same time:
IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

Premium bushing kit:
IMG_0046.JPG

Clean the spindle then drive/press the new stainless bushing in:
IMG_0047.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

Grease bushing and anti-seize the spacers:
IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

Last edited:

I've been looking at these myself, are the spacers the same size? or different sizes to allow more ski stance options.

moab11 said:
I've been looking at these myself, are the spacers the same size? or different sizes to allow more ski stance options.

I didn't measure them but I believe they are the same size as stock.

I did Upbushman's spindle kit last summer and it's still as tight as when I installed them. If you have any slop in the spindle, I'd suggest going to him for the fix, it really worked on my sled. I can't believe that the stock bushings are just a thin split bushing....

Sledboy04 said:
I did Upbushman's spindle kit last summer and it's still as tight as when I installed them. If you have any slop in the spindle, I'd suggest going to him for the fix, it really worked on my sled. I can't believe that the stock bushings are just a thin split bushing....

Yeah, I think what really wears them out is the steel inner sleeve. Water gets in there and rusts the sleeve. Then the rusty sleeve acts like sand paper and rapidly wears out the bushings.
Makes sense to make them out of stainless steel ;)!

Use a piece of threaded rod and some washers to draw the new bushing into place. Less pounding can be a good thing.

1975FA said:
Use a piece of threaded rod and some washers to draw the new bushing into place. Less pounding can be a good thing.

The bushing is stainless steel and as long as the spindle is clean it drives in fairly easy. In some cases the spindle has egged out and the new bushings are loose. UP bushmen recommends a special Loctite (#640 Piston Sleeve Loctite) in his directions if that's the case. Pressing the bushings out and the new in is the best method but not a must. The spindle should be able to take driving the bushing in as long as you don't get carried away......if they can't we shouldn't be riding with them.

I used a big C clamp to press the new bushings in, works slick ;)!
You can use different skis with this kit. The sleeves are 3" long to fit the Yamaha trail width skis. I my case I'm running Polaris Gripper skis and they're sleeve length is 3 1/16". So I just simply installed a 1/16" thick washer on one end to act as a spacer.

Bill

Back