• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Steve verses the 8jP

Actually, I'm going to take an even stronger stance on this and say "it doesn't matter one bit what Yamaha thinks at this time with the issues we have." Frankly, they abandoned SW owners on this issue.

Why do I suddenly have a visceral reaction thinking about this?

Facts:
  • There are TONS of stock sleds blowing belts in low miles with the calibration they shipped these sleds with. In fairness, there are also a bunch that do not, why is that? One of the 8 man-made wonders of the world to this day.
  • Secondary rollers shot at 100 miles or less for many of us
  • Primary rollers shot after less than 500 miles for many of us
  • Coil spring bind in the secondary
Opinion:
  • Yamaha used to represent the very best in factory clutching, they dropped the ball on the Sidewinder.
If it really does turn out that Yamaha's offset spec is off and the main culprit of belt blowers, we can add that to the list of why their clutching opinion doesn't carry the weight it used to. Years ago, one of the Yamaha clutching engineers would visit TY, I think he's long gone. I still love Yamaha and this sled, don't get me wrong, but they've made multiple blunders on this clutching we've had to figure out ourselves like NEVER before.

Particularly given the msrp on these...

STOP the CLOCK!
Not only did we get off topic, but somehow we forgot that completely STOCK sleds were blowing belts.
Obviously more power is harder on belts no matter what the clutches &/or set-up.
I only included my PowerTrail in my post to show i'm running MORE power & getting better results with some alterations aimed at belt life.
The REAL test will be at or over 1000 miles for me. FLEECER is happy at 800 which is TRIPLE his best belt life so far.

Let's refocus our thoughts on stock belt life for now. My clutch set-up is actually close to stock (on purpose) with exception to weights & rear spring.
WINTER WOLF is running Hurricane 275 SM tune with better results then stock & FLEECER is running 300 TD tune with better results.

That's what this post was about. If i can ADD power & get better belt life, then logic says these principles should increase stock sleds' belt life exponentially.

P.S: Has anyone noticed my new found love of ITALICIZED words yet? It adds some emotional ZING don't you think?

STOP the CLOCK!
Not only did we get off topic, but somehow we forgot that completely STOCK sleds were blowing belts.
Obviously more power is harder on belts no matter what the clutches &/or set-up.
I only included my PowerTrail in my post to show i'm running MORE power & getting better results with some alterations aimed at belt life.
The REAL test will be at or over 1000 miles for me. FLEECER is happy at 800 which is TRIPLE his best belt life so far.

Let's refocus our thoughts on stock belt life for now. My clutch set-up is actually close to stock (on purpose) with exception to weights & rear spring.
WINTER WOLF is running Hurricane 275 SM tune with better results then stock & FLEECER is running 300 TD tune with better results.

That's what this post was about. If i can ADD power & get better belt life, then logic says these principles should increase stock sleds' belt life exponentially.

P.S: Has anyone noticed my new found love of ITALICIZED words yet? It adds some emotional ZING don't you think?[/QUOTE

Thank you for your time to post this, would you mine sharing what the other two have for clutching.

I've got quite a few setups. Send me a PM with what you are running for hp and what you're interested in doing and I'll share my opinion for what its worth.

Steve you crack me up. Hope we run into each other and ride together.
Ditto. What a flair for words Steve has. If we don't get some snow in NY I might be taking a trip to Maine soon to ride. Me and my friends are on suicide watch.
Very informative post by Steve. I never blew a belt last year in 800 miles. Most of it was with the orange TPI spring wrapped at 60 (they say this is a no no) with the stock helix and 59mm offset as delivered. Many lake runs and corner to corner runs. This year I an going with the sm Hurricane bundle. Still up in the air as to what helix to run. I do believe these high power tunes need higher helix angles with stiffer springs to help with belt life. The huge torque numbers these tuned sleds are producing combined with the low angled helixes are crushing these wimpy belts for many. High traction, high gearing, rider weight and these quick spooling tunes also take their toll.

Steve, not sure about your italicized words, but your BOLDED words are great, LOL! Hope to see you in Maine sometime.

Steve, not sure about your italicized words, but your BOLDED words are great, LOL! Hope to see you in Maine sometime.

I was just testing to see who is paying attention.............................OK, i lied............i hit the WRONG button

They were ThunderProducts with over 6000 miles on them. To their defense i went crazy on my belts last year during testing.
I have 3 new grey hairs to prove it! I'm up to 12 at the age 51. 2 more added today. LOL

Steve, I have recorded this information and this is the first set of secondary rollers that has come to our attention of failing. If you have any pieces left of the rollers, I would like to get them to return to our supplier to investigate.

No problem.
I haven't even looked at it yet. Hoping to get it apart Saturday. I will give you a call & send them to you.

Pushing on the helix and tearing the belt out of the clutches and letting the sheaves snap back closed can crack/break a roller. I'm by no means pointing any fingers here at all just a heads up if removing the belt without the tool.

I've only used a belt adjuster/remover since day 3 owning this sled.
That's actually how i had float to begin with.
I believe stock there is hardly any float & when i bought this sled, "float" was all the Rave.

Pushing on the helix and tearing the belt out of the clutches and letting the sheaves snap back closed can crack/break a roller. I'm by no means pointing any fingers here at all just a heads up if removing the belt without the tool.

That's a very good point.
Because you can't remove the guard in the field, it's very hard to get your hand in there with good control of the situation.

There should be a warning label:
PLEASE SPEND ANOTHER $200 for a BELT REMOVER ON TOP OF OUR $17,000 ASKING PRICE OR YOU COULD BREAK ROLLERS!
Then in FRENCH......
Then in SPANISH.....

P.S: I'm not sure i've ever seen any snowmobile warnings in Spanish, but i don't want to sound Racist

Back