• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TAPP Set up 998

Upstater57

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 Tcat EPS,
2014 ZR9000 (sold)
1978,1979,1980 SRX (sold)
As the season ended, I started getting ready for next year. I am adding the 225/240/270 tune to my stock 998. Just did the intake clamps, 3bar, and BOV. Looking to put my TAPP clutch on it. I will be using the Ron Ward torsional secondary kit on the stock ADAPT secondary.

Any advice on which TAPP spring to start with?

Depends on what you're looking to do? If you don't want high engagement stick with the black spring and go with the plus one rollers. Keep the weight on the roller bolts and not on the arms as the weight on the bolts acts like tip weight on a conventional arm and weight on the arm is like heal weight on a conventional arm. Feel free to PM me if you need more info

I haven’t had a ton of time with my Tapp yet and am running an STM 11.25” secondary but most of my miles are with a blue spring and plus 2 roller with short bolts. I just changed it over to +1 rollers with medium bolts and washers to I’d have adjustability options on the clicker where I had to be on clicker 6 before

You could get away with plus 2 rollers if you had really Tall gearing, but engagement is high as well as belt wear.

As the season ended, I started getting ready for next year. I am adding the 225/240/270 tune to my stock 998. Just did the intake clamps, 3bar, and BOV. Looking to put my TAPP clutch on it. I will be using the Ron Ward torsional secondary kit on the stock ADAPT secondary.

Any advice on which TAPP spring to start with?
All sources I have talked with are the Yamaha secondary is by far the best most efficient in industry. Replacing the cat secondary on cat sleds with Yamaha adds mph and acceleration. Do with that what you will but that’s conversations I’ve had with many in the clutching world.

All sources I have talked with are the Yamaha secondary is by far the best most efficient in industry. Replacing the cat secondary on cat sleds with Yamaha adds mph and acceleration. Do with that what you will but that’s conversations I’ve had with many in the clutching world.
Its a true torsional clutch and works better than the team/adapt compression clutch for sure. I think pro4 and stm yield similiar results when setup well. Not a big gain for the yamaha guys switching to an stm or pro4 secondary aside from shiny bling but much larger gains to be had for the cat guys imo. Switching jackshaft and buying clutch and misc hardware , helix spring etc puts you suprisingly close to the price of a pro4 or stm. I have over 9000 miles on 2 different winders and a little over 4000 miles on a 23 cat. Yamaha secondary performs better overall and runs cooler.
Boss/adapt secondary can be made to work very well, just not as well imo. Torsional conversion is a great improvement But not to get this thread off topic, Dave at tapp seems to recommend the blue spring more than the black for those requesting low engagement as some had issues with the black spring breaking. Blue is
100/190, there is also now a brown spring which is 120/200 and black is 140/210.

I have the Black Spring in my son's TAPP on the '19 LTX and I have the Blue Spring in my TAPP on my '23 LTX. I personally like the Blue spring's lower engagement better than the Black. TAPP also told me they are recommending the Blue over the Black due to some with the black breaking. I'll be switching my son's over to a Blue as well.

What time
I have the Black Spring in my son's TAPP on the '19 LTX and I have the Blue Spring in my TAPP on my '23 LTX. I personally like the Blue spring's lower engagement better than the Black. TAPP also told me they are recommending the Blue over the Black due to some with the black breaking. I'll be switching my son's over to a Blue as well.
What tune are you running? I say this because I've had great success with the black spring with the 305 Hurricane header tune. Dave recommended the black spring for that power range.
That said i have swapped the black out for the more stout Red spring on both of my sleds. More backshift

What time What tune are you running? I say this because I've had great success with the black spring with the 305 Hurricane header tune. Dave recommended the black spring for that power range.
That said i have swapped the black out for the more stout Red spring on both of my sleds. More backshift

I am running TD Max 17 tune.

Just be aware of the Yamaha roller secondary as I am seeing the pins wear the holes bigger in the casting on higher mile secondaries.
Otherwise it's a great clutch.

Just be aware of the Yamaha roller secondary as I am seeing the pins wear the holes bigger in the casting on higher mile secondaries.
Otherwise it's a great clutch.
Yes I noticed this on 4 sleds and actually always serviced buy me. That’s when I did the switch to STM primary and secondary. But I do agree I really like the Yamaha clutch’s myself. I think If I was to buy new sled I would stick with stock and just do a 280 HP tune IMO.

Has anyone found a way to keep the pins from turning? You still need to get them out to replace rollers so loc tight is not a good option

What rollers are you guys using that make the pin seat wear oblong?
High torque rollers in yamaha secondary for me.
Has anyone found a way to keep the pins from turning? You still need to get them out to replace rollers so loc tight is not a good option
Thunder Products clutching is working on something.
A longer pin that does not spin would be the fix.

A longer pin that does not spin would be the fix.
I was thinking about this Tim since now the buttonhead screw keeps it from sliding out. Holding it in place would have the added benefit of keeping the pin from spinning. I have never had this problem, but don't put big mileage on my machines.

Back