• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TD eco trail tune

Waldo,
Is there a big difference in knock between Lean 17 (290) vs Max 17 (275)???

Is there a big difference in performance between Lean 17 and Max 20??
Well no reply, but I'm guessing that lean 17 is meant for those who add some race fuel or who can be sure they are getting 94 octane. This way the mapping would have the AF at a higher figure than max 17, which maybe has a richer map to add a margin of safety for 91 use.
Would explain the name 'lean 17'

Well no reply, but I'm guessing that lean 17 is meant for those who add some race fuel or who can be sure they are getting 94 octane. This way the mapping would have the AF at a higher figure than max 17, which maybe has a richer map to add a margin of safety for 91 use.

Ben in Mexico for 10 days on a well earned break. So don't think you'll see him post here much.

Yep, on our North trip I ran PT SM alongside my buddy that had PT SQ. He easily beat me every fill-up.
How about power,could he pull by your SM with his SQ?

Interesting about such good gas milage with the tune and exhaust. May have to re-think this in the future for a stock-mod pipe but I don't feel you can go wrong with the Stock Muffler tunes and flasher so you can back down if you're getting knock while on a remote ride or tour. Almost 1000 miles on Ecotrail Stock Muffler on mine, I get 14-15 mpg.
13 mpg with my PT and Muffler mod with the hammer down ..Load it hard down low though .

How about power,could he pull by your SM with his SQ?
Snowbeast, we didn't get into top end pulls or dragging, but I couldn't pull over 120 mph with the SM, however, when I had my SQ around home, I saw 126 multiple times.

Snowbeast, we didn't get into top end pulls or dragging, but I couldn't pull over 120 mph with the SM, however, when I had my SQ around home, I saw 126 multiple times.
OK now that's what I would of thought,with a more opened up muffler. Thanks

Interesting about such good gas milage with the tune and exhaust. May have to re-think this in the future for a stock-mod pipe but I don't feel you can go wrong with the Stock Muffler tunes and flasher so you can back down if you're getting knock while on a remote ride or tour. Almost 1000 miles on Ecotrail Stock Muffler on mine, I get 14-15 mpg.
Did you change clutching at all with your stock muffler tune? Also what is your thoughts stock vs. the tune, if you rode it stock before the tune?

Did you change clutching at all with your stock muffler tune? Also what is your thoughts stock vs. the tune, if you rode it stock before the tune?

Here’s my thoughts on mpg with or without tune.
Had issues with mileage when my 2017 LTX-LE was new, brought it to the dealer whereas he claimed I should have been getting 15 mpg on good trails.

Trail conditions play a big role with mpg, we all know that, hard trails with no meal or powder on top are the best for mpg and SPEED.

With that being said, I have had 3 different tunes with (almost)same clutching set up.

STOCK: After dealer repaired mpg problem. 13.5 - 15

ECoTRAIL smm: Same clutching with exception to added weight on primary tip. Total 75.5 grams.
Also added a 22T gear. A bit better MPG by 1/2 - 1 mpg.

MAX SPOOL 16 sm w/ partial modded muffler: Same primary clutch set up but with a 35/39 R Helix to keep the revs down on WOT. Same mileage!

I have seen many posts with better mileage and maybe even better top end then mine, and it seems to me that the curvature of Dalton primary weights, (and the ease of weight adjustment of coarse) make for lower cruising rpms and better top end when compared to the much less curved stock primary clutch weights.

Any 4 stroke that I have owned, got better mileage when you loaded the primary heel for lower engagement and thus lower cruising rpms. Past clutch kits like the Heel Clickers or HH etc. allowed for heel or mid loading.

Next season I shall try out a set of Dalton’s with the stock helix and I am hoping that will give me a bit better mpg and top end speed!!! If not, oh well still happy with both mpg and power at this point, but squeezing more out of my set up is what I enjoy.

Here’s my thoughts on mpg with or without tune.
Had issues with mileage when my 2017 LTX-LE was new, brought it to the dealer whereas he claimed I should have been getting 15 mpg on good trails.

Trail conditions play a big role with mpg, we all know that, hard trails with no meal or powder on top are the best for mpg and SPEED.

With that being said, I have had 3 different tunes with (almost)same clutching set up.

STOCK: After dealer repaired mpg problem. 13.5 - 15

ECoTRAIL smm: Same clutching with exception to added weight on primary tip. Total 75.5 grams.
Also added a 22T gear. A bit better MPG by 1/2 - 1 mpg.

MAX SPOOL 16 sm w/ partial modded muffler: Same primary clutch set up but with a 35/39 R Helix to keep the revs down on WOT. Same mileage!

I have seen many posts with better mileage and maybe even better top end then mine, and it seems to me that the curvature of Dalton primary weights, (and the ease of weight adjustment of coarse) make for lower cruising rpms and better top end when compared to the much less curved stock primary clutch weights.

Any 4 stroke that I have owned, got better mileage when you loaded the primary heel for lower engagement and thus lower cruising rpms. Past clutch kits like the Heel Clickers or HH etc. allowed for heel or mid loading.

Next season I shall try out a set of Dalton’s with the stock helix and I am hoping that will give me a bit better mpg and top end speed!!! If not, oh well still happy with both mpg and power at this point, but squeezing more out of my set up is what I enjoy.
what did your dealer find with the poor mileage? I was wondering cause my 17 ltx le is getting 11 mpg, excessive exhaust staining on the panels and poor idle sometimes?

what did your dealer find with the poor mileage? I was wondering cause my 17 ltx le is getting 11 mpg, excessive exhaust staining on the panels and poor idle sometimes?

They found a fuel regulator problem, so I was told they changed out rail and all whereas it was not in stock but a new sled on the floor had it.

I rode 640 miles stock then I installed TD clutching with Dalton DTYA-1 empty (74g) TD rollers, Dalton black Teal primary spring, Dalton black Orange secondary spring at 70°, stock helix. If you are staying Powertrail or lower don’t get DTYA-1 you should get QAY 70g weights and load them as needed. There was a noticeable performance increase from stock.

So guys, what is the difference between max spool17 and lean 17, besides 5hp?
Waldo, what do you like better about lean 17?
thanks
lean 290 17 is fast - !! - hard to beat - i dont have killer studs so i spin more than the racer guys so i dont hook as good. because max spool spins up quicker, u need good traction to get the benefit, imo, and if im running 94 - i want 290 instead of 285 - but lets not get too picky about those numbers - ive had the best luc with lean 17 at 290 - there all so close its kinda hard to tell and each snow day could yield a different result. i run max 17 in the UP because u should after u fill up from the trailer. but i was stuck on lean 17 in the u p and it was fine - light came on in a long pull but still ran 110 everywhere - killed everyone but at 500 feet - light came on and they went by me... LOOSER - got to hear that all f'en day but it was so fun - ill be bringing some booostane next time - they actually waited for me to fill up before ---- ya - anywAY - just do it - ur not gona hurt it... order from ben now - 10% off.

Last edited:
They found a fuel regulator problem, so I was told they changed out rail and all whereas it was not in stock but a new sled on the floor had it.
i call BS on this - !! i got 9-11 with stocker - now 12-16 - but its wide open alot! not as much now at 300 LOL

i dont doo this every day so i m not gona reply quickly - usually - lean 17 is one of the first big tunes - its on the jute box at 290 - 94 octane. i dont like to check the light coming on so i try to use the correct fuel - from a pail, not 110 from a pump - USE GOOD FUEL !! - i havent seen the light on 17 max 91 - i have sen light with 91 on lean 17 290 when i should have ran 94 - so just do what ben says and itll work - hes the best ive ever seen on r&d - he actually tests it on the trail, track, hills, his #*$&@ works better than anyone i ever used x 2 - and ive tryed em all.... he actually gives a dam and cares about u all... ill use his stuff - period - not the other guy s. non of bens motors r coming apart ---- cant build a trail sled,, in a cage.... and release it to the public.. without issues. my viper tunes from "others"were soo far off its not even funny. tested and tuned my #*$&@...

i call BS on this - !! i got 9-11 with stocker - now 12-16 - but its wide open alot! not as much now at 300 LOL

Whatever you want to call it Waldo!
I’m just stating facts bud, no Bs from me. I complained to dealer on numerous occasions about my bad mileage. He repaired it and told me what they found and what they replaced it with. After their repair, Voila 15 mpg many times over!!

So what is BS about that Bud...

Back