• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Those Who Have Swapped Suspensions

blkhwkbob

VIP Member
Well, let's hear it--how good do they actually perform? I'm sick of getting my butt kicked by the No-action, to the point of selling the damn sled. After the suspension swap, how close to a newer sled like a Doo do they ride? If there isn't a BIG improvement, it just doesn't seem to make sense to me on a 12 year old sled.

Well I have & love my 03 rx1 LE, but hated no-action, swapped a 08 vector monoskid and its a new sled, let 2 guys w/same sleds try it Saturday and they couldn't believe it I also have ice attack XT prestudded track, skid $400. I feel like I have a nicer sled than most $10,000 sleds last sled I will own.

Well I have & love my 03 rx1 LE, but hated no-action, swapped a 08 vector monoskid and its a new sled, let 2 guys w/same sleds try it Saturday and they couldn't believe it I also have ice attack XT prestudded track, skid $400. I feel like I have a nicer sled than most $10,000 sleds last sled I will own.
Matter of fact everyone with noaction that's seen it is doing same thing, if your close to me your welcome to try mine out, Larry

I put a Polaris prox in my warrior. Was night and day better than proaction with ohlins.

M20 air wave the ride is incedable fox floats on the front i personaly feel it rides better than anything i have been on I constantly get wanna swap for a bit from the group I ride with and there all 11 and newer cats and doos u gotta be in the sled for the long haul though the skid is 1900 bucks. Heard good things about the mono swap though and I actualy bought another 03 rx1 and iam gathering parts gonna do the mono in that sled

U gotta do the whole setup to get the big changes apex seat bar risers and skid swap and everyone will till u it will ride like a new sled night and day it goes from omg my back once u run the rough stuff to holy crap lets run that trail agian!

I have an M10 from a Polaris. The harshness is gone and it never bottoms out. The skid cost me $250 and you still use the stock rear mounting brackets and the front shaft mounts to the same place so it's an easy swap. Only downside is it doesn't transfer weight well from a dead stop, so if you are into racing the M10 is not the best choice.

I have the ski-doo sc3 skid with x shocks and loves,it is like night and day.We just did a 2003 viper and he loves it. cant stop riding it lol.

I was thinking about a new skid also I weigh 280 and a very aggressive rider. My suspension at the end of the day beat the crap out of me and would bottom out constantly. I tried about every setting on the skid to help out with little success. I found a used boss seat that raised my ride height at least 5 inches on the sled. What a difference it made for me and rides like a whole different sled now I never bottom out anymore.

x2 on the M20 airwave. I chose to stay with my stock front shocks and went straight rate springs and 13mm sway bar (no funds for anything more). Except for the power and sound it is not the same sled. I wasted a lot of money trying to get the no action to handle the bumps, shocks, valving, you name it, I tried it. Now the smoothness of the trail is no longer dictating my riding speed....... Last year before the 13 mm sway bar and straight rate springs I rode a 12 apex with factory air ride (fox air I think). The 2012 at that time handled better, probably due to the power steering and the factory larger sway bar, but it did not handle the bumps better. This year I have added the sway bar and springs. Big improvement. Better ride than the '12, and handling is excellent!

I purchased a 03 RX1 last year with just 7000Kms to replace a 2nd sled. After exhaustive research I swapped in a Cat T660 skid(almost new) that came with the Rebuild-able Fox shocks! Never rode the no-action skid, but sold it for more than the Cat skid! Very happy with the way things turned out. This was a one owner sled and the person had taken great care in it. It took some research to get the measurements right, but was worth it. Measure 3x, drill once! Even used the Cat backing plates as they are very strong, powder coated. Relatively little fabrication and some minor handling adjustments. The RX1 has been a great addition to our stable. Son loves it....!

As mentioned- Apex seat + riser + Mono skid will give you a new lease on life plus the skid swap is very easy because some of the rivet holes line up with where the new mounts need to be so no template required. However, when you add up all the costs it might be cheaper to sell your sled and look for one that has been modified, or look for an older Apex.

In my '03 I have a 136" skid from a 1999 Arctic Cat Powder Special, and I added coupling blocks to it. Only ridden 170 miles but I really like it so far. Only cost about $200 total.

Back