• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying The 8DN BELT

YamahaTim said:
NOS-PRO said:
I know the feeling about projects Yamadog.....

just never enough time in a day.

I'm thinking of making a project out of my Viper as well. And getting two new sleds. Or trade it in?? Don't know yet, and I have a month to think about it!

One with no belt issues! And easier for my wife to ride! Might jump ship for her!? ;):D

boy, wish I had all that money! But, it was like christmas today, rolled out my iron worker to find a brand new 8dn belt hanging on the wall. :Rockon:

FAMILYMAN said:
YamahaTim said:
NOS-PRO said:
I know the feeling about projects Yamadog.....

just never enough time in a day.

I'm thinking of making a project out of my Viper as well. And getting two new sleds. Or trade it in?? Don't know yet, and I have a month to think about it!

One with no belt issues! And easier for my wife to ride! Might jump ship for her!? ;):D

boy, wish I had all that money! But, it was like christmas today, rolled out my iron worker to find a brand new 8dn belt hanging on the wall. :Rockon:

Right on, let us know how it works. :-o

New experiment. I cut a set of 8FS weights with the flat profile down to 50 grams. Engages at 2600 and launches very well on asphalt with wheels and I am anxious to test it this weekend. Even at 2600 it spun the track on the pavement. Hit 8800 solid down the street but I suspect to lose 400 rpm when I hit it up the hill. Will post results Monday.

stingray719 said:
New experiment. I cut a set of 8FS weights with the flat profile down to 50 grams. Engages at 2600 and launches very well on asphalt with wheels and I am anxious to test it this weekend. Even at 2600 it spun the track on the pavement. Hit 8800 solid down the street but I suspect to lose 400 rpm when I hit it up the hill. Will post results Monday.

I think I have a set of those lying in my clutching box....hmmm. Was going to try my 8BU-10s and see what kind of pull that would do.

Gotta get this thing switched over to asphalt..... Track check in is only 3 weeks away.

NOS-PRO said:
stingray719 said:

I think I have a set of those lying in my clutching box....hmmm. Was going to try my 8BU-10s and see what kind of pull that would do.

Gotta get this thing switched over to asphalt..... Track check in is only 3 weeks away.

I am after good solid rpm with no hunting that is why I went to "mountain weights" with flat profile. The stock weights have a ramp that makes higher rpms to get over initial ramp hump then down the ramp it changes angle for top speed. Good for 2 strokes with low torque but not really working for me with big torque and deep snow. Matt from MPI recommended these and after I thought about it I remembered I had to put 8FS flat profile weights in both the boosted Phazers to get them right. Problem with Viper is getting enough rpm which is kinda wierd. I am down to 50 grams now.

loudelectronics said:
Stingray did you change your gearing at all for the longer track or still using stock?

Still stock gearing, but I am suspect of my primary spring and think I will change it tonight and retest.

stingray719 said:
loudelectronics said:
Stingray did you change your gearing at all for the longer track or still using stock?

Still stock gearing, but I am suspect of my primary spring and think I will change it tonight and retest.

Stingray, I was just wondering. Are you doing all of this for "her" sled?

YamahaTim said:
stingray719 said:
loudelectronics said:

Yeah, she says leave it alone but I can't....lol. As soon as its perfect I will quit. She also complains I ride it too much :sled1:

stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:
stingray719 said:
loudelectronics said:

Yeah, she says leave it alone but I can't....lol. As soon as its perfect I will quit. She also complains I ride it too much :sled1:

Lol. Right on! Just wondering, if I even think about putting more stuff on my wife's sled she gets mad! She says these things already cost to much I don't want any upgrades on mine! But I don't really ride hers that much. It's really not that much fun. Well if mines in the shop I guess I'm riding a stock Vector...lol

stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:
stingray719 said:
loudelectronics said:

For some reason I have my mind in the gutter :rofl: :moon:

NOS-PRO said:
stingray719 said:
YamahaTim said:
stingray719 said:
loudelectronics said:

For some reason I have my mind in the gutter :rofl: :moon:

:tg:

I did something very unorthidox in the primary and it really worked well on the asphalt with wheels on the skis. Not ging to say what I did until I test it tomorrow.....but the clutch engaged at 3k and I thought the sled was going to wheelie over backwards. Runing around 8800 rpm at 6k altitude but I know I am going to lose some rpm up at 10k altitude. Can't wait to test!!

I have around 1000 miles on the 8dn belt and have been noticing the rpm decreasing in the mid and top end. Thought is was just the warmer weather but after playing with the clutching it didn't really help. Thought I would try a new 8dn and bingo the rpms were back.

8dn seems sensitive to belt wear, but all you have to do is shim the secondary or slap on a new 8dn.

Back