• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo Dynamics clutch kit

Well damn! Maybe this is my problem?! Maybe that sent me the wrong secondary spring?
I had the same issue, I ordered thinking it was going to be black orange and recieved black tan, when I called they said that is what dalton has been sending them lately. I think it would work better with 8JP belt and isnt needed with ultimax, its a pretty stout spring.

I had the same issue, I ordered thinking it was going to be black orange and recieved black tan, when I called they said that is what dalton has been sending them lately. I think it would work better with 8JP belt and isnt needed with ultimax, its a pretty stout spring.
Thanks for the information. I agree! Very stout spring! I struggled wrapping it at 6-2 last night. Now that I have read your reply, I think I will take it back apart and try it at your recommendation. I do still have the stock spring as well so I will try both.

The Black/Tan is my go to spring set at 6-1 with a straight 37 helix.
(The tangs are right at 0-1 being about 0° wrap)
Running a 141 1.5 track.
2500km this year with that secondary trail set-up no blown belt.

I read somewhere on this forum that Dalton was out of Black /orange. They suggested Black tan to 40 to be close to the orange @ 80. Their website has all the torsion and compression values listed. That thing is a brute @ 70 or 80.

I just cant seem to get this thing clutched right! So frustrating! I am thinking of ditching everything and going back to the setup that was on the sled when I bought it. It came with stock primary and secondary springs, stock rollers, stock weights, OEM 8JP belt, 35/39 reverse helix, and 1 glide washer. With the TD clutch kit and the XS 825 belt I just cant get my RPM's right. I have the QAY70 Dalton weights empty with two glide washers, secondary spring is the black/tan currently wrapped to 3-3 (started with 3,2) and currently running with the stock 35 helix, thunder products rollers, and very clean clutches. My RPM's will sometimes hit 9,000 but drop quickly to 8,450 - 8,500 and not move up much higher than that holding it WOT. Fastest I have seen on this sled is 112mph. Track seems to be hooking up well most of the time it is the ICE Ripper 1.5. I took the studs out for this past trip.

If anyone else is running the 270 Hurricane tune with stock gearing, what are you seeing for RPM's, Top speed, and what is your clutch setup?

Thanks for the information. I agree! Very stout spring! I struggled wrapping it at 6-2 last night. Now that I have read your reply, I think I will take it back apart and try it at your recommendation. I do still have the stock spring as well so I will try both.
Wow how the heck did you get that monster wrapped to 80* man you must have strong hands? I was running it at 60* on dalton 41/35 and it worked great,but still had a little more heat than i like,if i run it again,it would be at 50* and that would be on 41/35 not a straight 35 you could try that helix w/that spring @3-1 for 40* i bet it would work.

I just cant seem to get this thing clutched right! So frustrating! I am thinking of ditching everything and going back to the setup that was on the sled when I bought it. It came with stock primary and secondary springs, stock rollers, stock weights, OEM 8JP belt, 35/39 reverse helix, and 1 glide washer. With the TD clutch kit and the XS 825 belt I just cant get my RPM's right. I have the QAY70 Dalton weights empty with two glide washers, secondary spring is the black/tan currently wrapped to 3-3 (started with 3,2) and currently running with the stock 35 helix, thunder products rollers, and very clean clutches. My RPM's will sometimes hit 9,000 but drop quickly to 8,450 - 8,500 and not move up much higher than that holding it WOT. Fastest I have seen on this sled is 112mph. Track seems to be hooking up well most of the time it is the ICE Ripper 1.5. I took the studs out for this past trip.

If anyone else is running the 270 Hurricane tune with stock gearing, what are you seeing for RPM's, Top speed, and what is your clutch setup?
you need to check your secondary clutch temperature. It might be getting real hot with that spring. I tried that spring at 40 degrees with 35 helix and xs825 belt and it averaged 10-15 degrees warmer than stock yellow yamaha spring. At 50 or 60 degrees of wrap its gonna be even hotter. If your belt gets too hot it will drag rpms down. If you have yellow yamaha spring try it at 50 or 60 degrees and see if it works better. If you dont have yellow but have a pink spring try that at 70. If you see no improvement then I think you may have a boost leak or some other issue going on thats limiting your power cause you should be close to 8800-9000 with those weights empy and 35 degree helix, possibly even over reving a bit.

you need to check your secondary clutch temperature. It might be getting real hot with that spring. I tried that spring at 40 degrees with 35 helix and xs825 belt and it averaged 10-15 degrees warmer than stock yellow yamaha spring. At 50 or 60 degrees of wrap its gonna be even hotter. If your belt gets too hot it will drag rpms down. If you have yellow yamaha spring try it at 50 or 60 degrees and see if it works better. If you dont have yellow but have a pink spring try that at 70. If you see no improvement then I think you may have a boost leak or some other issue going on thats limiting your power cause you should be close to 8800-9000 with those weights empy and 35 degree helix, possibly even over reving a bit.
I have been through all my clamps and am quite sure that there is not any boost leaks. This thing was a monster and over turning at 9,250 RPM's with the clutch set up that was in it before the switch to the TD clutch kit and XS-825 belt. The reason I changed was belts wouldn't last 200 miles. If I could get a consistent 8,800 - 9,000 RPM's, I would be happy.

I have been through all my clamps and am quite sure that there is not any boost leaks. This thing was a monster and over turning at 9,250 RPM's with the clutch set up that was in it before the switch to the TD clutch kit and XS-825 belt. The reason I changed was belts wouldn't last 200 miles. If I could get a consistent 8,800 - 9,000 RPM's, I would be happy.
Yes but you said you were running stock clutching before, my 230hp eco trail tune with stock clutching would turn 9200+ with 8JP, add another 40hp to that and it would be tapping the rev limiter. Bottom line either way is that black tan spring isnt a good choice for 8jp belt and 35 degree helix. Try some different stuff in secondary and see what happens. If it doesnt help you got something else going on

What do your QAY70 ramps weigh empty? You should be running so very high rpms with them empty,well depending on spring,that hurricane tune produces very good power and quick spool,you said it is his 270 tune? Man i would think you should see 9100 no problem,make sure your primary is not binding,w/no spring,rebolt cover on to clutch,and slide up and down,if it moves ok,load spring back in,and compress it again,either by standing on it,or by pushing down on it.Next pull your secondary,carefully check to make sure all looks good there,again assemble w/out spring and check throughout travel,and try stock yellow at 50 or 60 degrees of wrap. Is everything free in your skid,drivetrain,and gearbox? That xs825 belt works great once broke in,but does drag rpm down 200-400 compared to 8jp.

Yes but you said you were running stock clutching before, my 230hp eco trail tune with stock clutching would turn 9200+ with 8JP, add another 40hp to that and it would be tapping the rev limiter. Bottom line either way is that black tan spring isnt a good choice for 8jp belt and 35 degree helix. Try some different stuff in secondary and see what happens. If it doesnt help you got something else going on
I made an error above, I meant the black tan isnt the best choice for xs825 with 35 helix. Try a lighter spring or 40 wrap at most with black tan and report back what it does. Ride a good 10-15 minutes before paying attention to rpms, not uncommon to rev a bit higher to belt gets warmed up

Back