• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ultimate Sidewinder Muffler Decibel Test

Guys,

I do most all of my riding in Northern MN and I have ran some loud exhaust on many sleds over the years and never once have I been stopped by a law enforcement officer for noise violations. I have driven by many law enforcement check points and was always waved through once they saw my registration sticker. Of course I did not go by the check point at full throttle but I approached them at a high RPM and speed before I saw them and slowed down and I am sure they heard me coming.

My take on this is that LEO (in MN) takes a few things into consideration when they decide to make an issue of your exhaust or not. If you are WFO late at night in town or near a landowner's house that allowed the trail to cross his property you will be (and should be ) stopped if LEO is watching and listening. Likewise if you are driving recklessly and you are annoying or endangering other trail users you will be (and should be ) stopped if LEO is watching and listening. In these cases LEO will be looking for everything and anything they can write you up for including an illegal exhaust.

My experience is that most LEO will leave you alone if you are following all of the other laws and are exercising common sense and showing courtesy toward others. Of course in any profession you always have a few SOB's that just want to be pricks and that applies to LEO as well. Usually though if you have an interaction with them and you are sober, courteous, & polite that will go a long way towards not receiving a ticket unless your exhaust is obnoxiously loud like a straight pipe.

Beast, do you still have your stock muffler? Drill out the rivets and you have a factory shield ready to go to a new home.

Here's an example of the stock shield on the very SanDale Hyperflow 3" you and I have - from our very own 1100saber.

View attachment 131642 View attachment 131643

And here's one off of TD's FB page of a SuperQuiet with the stock shield.

View attachment 131644 View attachment 131645
Looks like saber 1100 installed only one rivet in front face of front cover,and bolted the other 6 holes,instead of riveting them,i wonder why he chose to bolt them,it does not look as stock as the other muffler with rivets,i think I will try to rivet my shields togeather,because I feel our wardens here in maine,will see that and start looking closer than I want. I do like that idea though,the bolts allow it to be removed much easier.

maybe saber will chime in... wonder if the shields quiet it further... or just looks?

Looks like saber 1100 installed only one rivet in front face of front cover,and bolted the other 6 holes,instead of riveting them,i wonder why he chose to bolt them,it does not look as stock as the other muffler with rivets,i think I will try to rivet my shields togeather,because I feel our wardens here in maine,will see that and start looking closer than I want. I do like that idea though,the bolts allow it to be removed much easier.
I didn’t have any rivets in the tool box that night. I was just mocking it up. I used the self tappers to hold it together. I’ve since replaced them with stainless flush torx head. Looks cleaner, but still able to easily remove it if I wanted. And the idea for putting the shield was purely for looks. 3” has some bark...and although it doesn’t sound stock...I wanted it to look as close to stock as possible.

I didn’t have any rivets in the tool box that night. I was just mocking it up. I used the self tappers to hold it together. I’ve since replaced them with stainless flush torx head. Looks cleaner, but still able to easily remove it if I wanted. And the idea for putting the shield was purely for looks. 3” has some bark...and although it doesn’t sound stock...I wanted it to look as close to stock as possible.

Thanks.. where did you find the stainless torx? And are you saying the shields and insulation does or does not help with sound?

Thanks for exsplaining it,so there is more ways to skin a cat,or yammie lol the more ideas the better.

Now we're skinning snakes & cats.
If we don't get snow soon, we may EXPLODE!

And we are off subject again. We must make MrSled crazy...

Ben,if a customer wants this mod done for stock muffler,but he does not have his stock muffler,can you still help him out,do you guys have any access to new take offs or used mufflers to mod for a customer who has no core?
we bought a few cores.... and yes we have them available. Of course that raises the price. We can turn around mufflers and ecus real quick.

Has anyone been checked yet this year for sound? Would be great to have folks post their actual DNR tested results with whichever muffler their using.

Back