• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Update from "ttabs Nytro mod shop"

Sinc I am new at this???

ttabs said:
Finally, for the finale of my first round of mods, I've decided that the SWAY BAR's got to go. Easy shmeezy right? Wrong!!!!

There are two retaining clamps inside your chassis that hold that bar in place - one on each side. There are two screws on each clamp. The lower one is approached from the outside of the sled and is easy to pop off. But the top screw is an allen head screw that you have to get at from inside. Two problems - the engine block leaves you hardly any room and there is a frame pipe right in the way of things. It's a tight squeeze fellas.

What we found worked was using a short allen head fitting and a 5mm wrench combo. I was able to pop one side off OK but the other side we stripped out.

So, it's Harbor Freight time. I lost my patience and brought out the big gun.

680P4210027.jpg

My Sway Bar is history. :drink: The sled now feels more agile and it's a good start to getting it where I want. I've got a Bogey wheel kit coming in the months to come that'll make this thing carve on a dime.

Check out this update ....
What has this done to you handeling? Any changes in ride, or repracutions? I am new at this and always interested in hearing about changes/improvements. I mostly do trail riding in the midwest. Thanks for the input. By the way nice detail in the forum :rocks:

ttabs said:
Smitty's offset axle kit is now available. Mine came in last week ... your choice of colors....

06020.jpg

I attached my 8" bogey wheels here to show it off. Witht he kit, you also get a new track tensioner system that will tension the track up from the front of the wheels ... more like a Rev.

06022.jpg

The only thing I'm waiting on is the custom exhaust 'tunnel dump' and that should be ready this week. I'm about ready to start my rebuild and I'll post a step by step of what's all going on.

06001.jpg

Who makes those 8" wheels?

Re: Sinc I am new at this???

sheetwright said:
What has this done to you handeling? Any changes in ride, or repracutions? ...

sheet - Removing the sway bar has pro's and con's. For the pro's - it helps you pull your sled over on to its side much easier for great manuverability when boondockin around in the back country. Since that's what most mountain riders do is goof around off the trails on the steep stuff, it's a great mod.

Con's - it will make your sled more unstable on the trails. For instance, on a tight high speed turn, you'll feel a greater tendency of the sled to want to dump you on the outside of the turn. If you're a trail rider over there in flat land country, I'd stick with the sway bar.

CROW said:
I ordered mine up from Western Power Sports. You'll want to get them with a 25mm bearing for Smitty's kit.

Sheetwright - before you get carried away and remove your sway bar, just un-bolt one side and ride it. this essentially eliminates the effects of the sway bar. Personally, I don not like the way it handles on or off trail with the stock shocks, if you had some fox shocks it might be okay by running a little stiffer preload.

Crow, you can also order similar whells from Avid. I have a set on my summit and I'll be putting a set on the Nytro.

Ttabs, going from 7" to 8" wheels would offset the axel 1/2" up. Judging from the picture then, it looks like the axel may be about 1/2" back too(or front I guess). Would you say that is about right?

That would mean my track could be 1" further back with the larger wheels and offset axel. So I guess I have made up at least 2" for 156" track, and the tensioner should be good for the rest. What do you think?

First - I also ordered Avid 8" wheels for my Rev two years ago. They worked great (along with their CnC'd drivers).

You are also correct in that this axle kit is offset 1/2" up and either front or back - depending on if you're using a stock track or to help accomodate a longer track.

I will also say that this particular axle kit is well engineered and stout! Smitty does a great job and is really tuned in to customer satisfaction. In fact, he's obsessed about that! :Rockon:

Re: Sinc I am new at this???

ttabs said:
sheetwright said:
What has this done to you handeling? Any changes in ride, or repracutions? ...

sheet - Removing the sway bar has pro's and con's. For the pro's - it helps you pull your sled over on to its side much easier for great manuverability when boondockin around in the back country. Since that's what most mountain riders do is goof around off the trails on the steep stuff, it's a great mod.

Con's - it will make your sled more unstable on the trails. For instance, on a tight high speed turn, you'll feel a greater tendency of the sled to want to dump you on the outside of the turn. If you're a trail rider over there in flat land country, I'd stick with the sway bar.

CROW said:
I ordered mine up from Western Power Sports. You'll want to get them with a 25mm bearing for Smitty's kit.
Thanks for the input. Wish I had the snow you had out there. Loved it out toward Yellowstone this year. We can only dream in the midwest. Thanks again

RE: No Swaybar & Stock Shocks

I ran one ride w/ the sway bar unhooked (completely, unhooked--my bad).

On stock shocks, I didn't like it. It 'rolled' way to easily...tryin to turn with any down hill angle was .. tough. This was in more setup snow, so it wasn't all that easy to just pull it over n carve (as I would in normal/pow snow conditions).

That being said, I'll prob be removing the sway bar when I put the Barkbuster front end on...and some different front shocks.

?

woodsrider said:
Sheetwright - before you get carried away and remove your sway bar, just un-bolt one side and ride it. this essentially eliminates the effects of the sway bar. Personally, I don not like the way it handles on or off trail with the stock shocks, if you had some fox shocks it might be okay by running a little stiffer preload.
Are you talking different Fox shocks then the ones that are allready on the 08 RTX? Sounds like a move for a powder guy, more then a trail guy so far. Thanks for the input

Re: ?

sheetwright said:
woodsrider said:
Are you talking different Fox shocks then the ones that are allready on the 08 RTX? Sounds like a move for a powder guy, more then a trail guy so far. Thanks for the input

hehe Being in the Mtn talk forum, I think most are refering to their MTX's...which, as far as i know, are not Fox.

For trail riding, I wouldn't go without it on this sled.
But its easy to test for yourself, unhook one side (remove the silver linking piece)...and ride it. Some jumpers liked it unhooked on the Rev..more predictable / consistent weight xfer (or..lack there of).
All the sway bar does is: The more weight you put on one side of the sled/ski, the more the sway bar will re-apply (transfer) pressure (weight) to the opposite side of the sled/ski.
Helps lower ski lift, allowing faster speeds through the corners/twisties.
But also, HINDERS the ability to pull the sled over on its side (onto 1 ski). Your essentially fighting the sled itself when you WANT it to roll over..

The reason most/I say it sucks with stock shocks, is because the shocks are valved too softly and w/o the sway bar, will not "hold itself up" properly w/o the ability to xfer weight to the other side of the sled.. With a stiffer shock setup, (Floats with air adjustment) the shock will 'hold' the additional weight with out having to transfer it else where.

And I think my Nytro carves much easier than my Rev with the sway bar gone .... and that's with stock shocks. The best advice here then is to undo one side and see for your self how it works with your riding style.

hmmm, did not notice my stock shocks not holding the sled up...found it infinitely easier to carve than my Rev, granted I ahve a different front end (timbersled) but thought it was predictable, and stable...

I was going with floats just to save weight...but now not sure what I might slap on up front...

gonna have to do some 'sperimentin' wife hates that, as it means spendin more money only to have parts left over laying around...I need a Sponsor!!!

Back