• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warning, -16 late build Viper turbo breakdowns, bad rods.

So if it's rubber it's old build. If the half moons are part of the valve cover it's a new build correct?

I would love to see Yamaha address this problem. Initially these new engines where supposed to make adding the turbo a very reliable option.

Where is this info that the new motor is made for boost? The rotating mass was lighten up for the engine to rev quicker. Over the years I have met Yamaha engineers that have come over from Japan to Yamafest. There not about turbos on sleds at all. One year, there was a turbo Yamaha on fire @ Yamafest. Engineers that were around said, that's why we don't turbo! In stock form, likely this engine will last forever. Yes I know Yamaha in N/America is pushing turbos, but only the mpi 180 kit.

Hopefully by the time you have it broke in this will all be sorted out. Enjoy your awesome sled in the meantime.
What's killing me is my '14 had a 190 kit. It's going to royally suck going back to NA, but it beats the alternative.

Where is this info that the new motor is made for boost? The rotating mass was lighten up for the engine to rev quicker. Over the years I have met Yamaha engineers that have come over from Japan to Yamafest. There not about turbos on sleds at all. One year, there was a turbo Yamaha on fire @ Yamafest. Engineers that were around said, that's why we don't turbo! In stock form, likely this engine will last forever. Yes I know Yamaha in N/America is pushing turbos, but only the mpi 180 kit.

It was speculation. What was not speculation was the press release stating the motor is equal to the previous motor in most areas including Durability and Quality.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/ya...is-three-cylinder-engine.138355/#post-1254153

What's killing me is my '14 had a 190 kit. It's going to royally suck going back to NA, but it beats the alternative.
Oh wow yes I know the feeling. Wish I never would have ridden a Turbo sled. No matter what I do to my NA well it just is not even close to a Turbo. But you know what on most trail it more than plenty and no time to think about needing more when corner after corner, trees,moguls,drifts and jumps are coming at you as fast as you can hit em. A person gets in the "zone" or as PA guys say Dancing! You will still get that guaranteed. Just need snow right!

It just means you won't make this sled an 800 straight line racer... I though that getup and go was great and an Apex contender to 70 MPH with everything stock. Modify clutches and that may extend to 100 MPH. But it is crappy that Yamaha didn't warn of change or acknowledge a problem...

Has anyone driven or logged any miles on a 16 new motor on low boost mpi 180 or hurricane 190 on stock motor internals?

I doubt it yet. Someone needs to get a thousand miles or so on it before it will mean anything...

Edit: and one person's success doesn't mean its safe. Need to determine if it is a flaw in a few rods or its across the board.

Back