• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What exhaust is not too loud.

racecar

Suspended
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Zr9000
Can't make my mind up on a muffler. I want more power and a little more of a performance sound but too loud. All the posts I have read that everything available is very loud and guys are getting fines. Quebec and Ontario is very strict I don't want any fines.
What you guys running out there would like to hear your feed back.

I have a D&d and have the insert kept in it and it's a very nice sound not too loud at all I don't think , and ik evo makes one that passes fb levels too

If pulled over in Quebec, they will check for the SSCC stamp on the can. No stamp and you will be fined.

Last edited:
I have a D&d and have the insert kept in it and it's a very nice sound not too loud at all I don't think , and ik evo makes one that passes fb levels too

The EVO Magnum Muffler passed Wisconsin and Michigan DNR decibel levels and gains 10-11 hpr.

20161111_154931.jpg

If pulled over in Quebec, they will check for the SSCC stamp on the can. No stamp will be a fine.

Don't know how Quebec is....but the DNR agent told me that anyone can modify their exhaust on their sled, as long as it meets decibel requirements.

The EVO Magnum Muffler passed Wisconsin and Michigan DNR decibel levels and gains 10-11 hpr.

View attachment 124845

Don't know how Quebec is....but the DNR agent told me that anyone can modify their exhaust on their sled, as long as it meets decibel requirements.

In Ontario you can't do any modification to an exhaust, visual inspection and if it's not stock you might get fined. I believe Quebec is the same. However, if you have a reasonable system and no how to keep it hushed up, don't brappp it like a snow cross wannabe and chances are you won't get noticed.

In Ontario you can't do any modification to an exhaust, visual inspection and if it's not stock you might get fined. I believe Quebec is the same. However, if you have a reasonable system and no how to keep it hushed up, don't brappp it like a snow cross wannabe and chances are you won't get noticed.

Not true. I forget the exact law and Im too lazy to look it up. Magnusson and something act. But basically, it states you can install any after market muffler as long as it is of comparable sound level to OEM. Unfortunately some cops are ***holes, and will still give you a ticket no matter what. Then you will have to waste your time fighting it in court.

Not true. I forget the exact law and Im too lazy to look it up. Magnusson and something act. But basically, it states you can install any after market muffler as long as it is of comparable sound level to OEM. Unfortunately some cops are ***holes, and will still give you a ticket no matter what. Then you will have to waste your time fighting it in court.

Shadow44 is correct. MSVA non OEM muffler is not permitted. $115 + surcharge.
In Ontario it has nothing to do with dB levels. Sledders are ALWAYS confused about that part of the MSVA.

Removing or modifying any component
(2) No person shall drive or permit to be driven any motorized snow vehicle upon which any component or device, which was required under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the motorized snow vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada, has been removed, modified or rendered inoperative. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (2).

I have the TD Super Quiet muffler and it's not much louder than stock, but has a deeper tone. It's ~ the same size as the factory muffler and if you search their FB page you'll see a pic of a customer that used the stock muffler shield, it looks stock and has the SSCC stamp. They'd have to remove all the heat shields to find out it wasn't and I don't see that happening on the trail. If you're really worried they're modifying the stock muffler for better flow, that should pass visual and sound inspection no problem.

I have the TD Super Quiet muffler and it's not much louder than stock, but has a deeper tone. It's ~ the same size as the factory muffler and if you search their FB page you'll see a pic of a customer that used the stock muffler shield, it looks stock and has the SSCC stamp. They'd have to remove all the heat shields to find out it wasn't and I don't see that happening on the trail. If you're really worried they're modifying the stock muffler for better flow, that should pass visual and sound inspection no problem.

If its not crazy loud, generally they won't even bother looking at it.... its the guys that you can hear for 5 miles coming.. or BRRRAAAP, BRRAAP thru a bush right before a checkpoint are the guys that they ask to lift the hood or open a side panel. Most likely not an issue with the TD Super Quiet equipment.

Shadow44 is correct. MSVA non OEM muffler is not permitted. $115 + surcharge.
In Ontario it has nothing to do with dB levels. Sledders are ALWAYS confused about that part of the MSVA.

Removing or modifying any component
(2) No person shall drive or permit to be driven any motorized snow vehicle upon which any component or device, which was required under the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) at the time that the motorized snow vehicle was manufactured or imported into Canada, has been removed, modified or rendered inoperative. R.S.O. 1990, c. M.44, s. 18 (2).

Yes, but you can run any muffler that you like on your sled, provided it is not louder than stock. So unless they have a SPL meter and a standardized test, technically you can't get a ticket. The reason is, if your your stock muffler wears out, you are allowed to replace it with an after market part. Oem manufacturers are not allowed a monololy on replacement parts. If you're not allowed to replace your muffler with a comparable aftermarket muffler, that means it is illegal to use non OEM other parts as well. Such as brake pads or carbides, and that is certainly not the case.

Yes, but you can run any muffler that you like on your sled, provided it is not louder than stock. So unless they have a SPL meter and a standardized test, technically you can't get a ticket. The reason is, if your your stock muffler wears out, you are allowed to replace it with an after market part. Oem manufacturers are not allowed a monololy on replacement parts. If you're not allowed to replace your muffler with a comparable aftermarket muffler, that means it is illegal to use non OEM other parts as well. Such as brake pads or carbides, and that is certainly not the case.

Big Phil, once again.... there is NOTHING in the MVSA about sound levels (go read it). Guys always argue about this... We are not talking about a guy with aftermarket muffler on a 1981 Ski-doo citation right?, get real.......we are talking about guys that you can hear coming 5 miles away. If a guy pulls up on a crazy loud 2012 Ski-doo MXZ or a 2010 Nytro Turbo :) with a CAN or a non OEM muffler, he is getting a ticket $115 bucks.... Think what you like, but the MSVA is very clear. You are giving out very bad information. I'm not saying the legislation is good or bad, I'm just telling you, that you can get a ticket.

If your correct, no sledder would ever get a ticket right?

I have wrote the tickets, many of them..... Hey listen you want to run a aftermarket exhaust go for it, just don't be telling people its legal, cuz its not and be prepared to pay the ticket. Hopefully the exhaust is not so obnoxious that it gets land owners upset and closes trails.

BTW I have a friend that gets at least 1-2 charges every year, he likes his exhaust, knows its not legal and pays the tickets......

Last edited:
For what it's worth a guy over on the HCS forum in the cat turbo section just talked about getting a hard time from the cops in NY about the TD super quiet 2.5 on a thundercat. I believe it was his buddies sled but his Suzuki turbo with same muffler did not get looked at, just thought I'd share. If it were me I'd want till after winter and send my stock muffler to d&d to have it modded, only thing I don't like about that is you can't go back stock...

don't get yer knickers twisted but, if it wasn't for guys running aftermarket cans, the 8-10 feet of snow we got last month would be here instead of green grass. i know its true cause a guy with a hockey stick graph says so. AND i saw it on the internet. so to answer your question, find someone to make an app that transfers rpm on the sled to whatever exhaust sound you want to hear in your helmet via bluetooth. endless possibilities. in your mind you will have THE baddest sled on the planet. and you and the app guy can buy a mountain to ride on with the proceeds. do your clutch. now that's making lemonade silicon valley style! ;)

This is what the DNR agent said to me.....they sit in their vehicles and if they can hear a sled coming a mile away with their heater and radio on....they will pull him/her over and check them.

Take the heat shield off and mount it on the aftermarket muffler ;)!

Back