• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Where does it OFFICIALLY say Apex is being dropped?

Why do they need to lighten up the weight of the Apex? It’s not built for the snow cross track or ditch banging. Are you carrying the sled on your back down the trail? Some guys should lose some weight around their mid sections and quit worrying about the weight of their sled. It’s built for groomed trail riding and that’s exactly what it delivers. I’ve owned a RX-1 and 2 Apex’s and have loved riding all these sleds. They’ve made small changes to the sled over the years and it has evolved into what in my opinion is a great groomed trail riding sled. What also sets it apart from the other sleds is the reliability and quality. I’ve logged over 40,000 miles combined on all these sleds and have zero breakdowns. And that means everything when you’ve taken time off work and traveled 7 hours to your riding destination. The last thing you want is a engine failure and I’ve seen plenty of them on the trail. Nothing worse to ruin your vacation. So I’ll continue to ride the overweight Apex with a smile on my face and watch the other guys with tears in theirs eyes behind a tow strap. I’m currently shopping for a 2018 Apex. I want one more before they’re discontinued. Between my new one and 2013 I’ll have plenty of continued great miles in my future. To each their own.

Nobody these days seems to care about anything but light weight. Watch any snowmobile show or just talk to other brands of sled owners and they all say the same thing. "Yamahas are too heavy....no thanx i will stick with my 400lb whatever..".....

That's an awful broad brush to say all people care about more than reliability is weight and nobody cares about anything but light weight. I guess that makes me in the minority because I would never sacrifice reliability just to have a light weight snowmobile . I also don't watch the snowmobile shows to be told what I should and shouldn't like.

The end of the Apex will mean re sale will hold or go up do to many who demand them for what they are and have been. Especially if Sidewinder goes belly up.

Too bad Yamaha didn't keep making the Apex Vector line like that monster called Viking for us folks who want the quality's it offers and can't get in the Sidewinder. compared to the Apex the Sidwinder seems much more completed and expensive to maintain with more parts to break down ? correct me if I'm wrong.

For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble- Rob X1 above

Now that is FUNNY and so true, self included Yamadoo

Our Late TY friend Turk used to say," were I am from we RIDE our sleds we don't carry them."
I always say to the weight loud mouths, "Do you ever fill your sled with Gas? When they say yes I remind them that there sled now weighs what mine does on Empty. How can you stand to ride it?

Last edited:
Nobody these days seems to care about anything but light weight. Watch any snowmobile show or just talk to other brands of sled owners and they all say the same thing. "Yamahas are too heavy....no thanx i will stick with my 400lb whatever..".....

Again it depends on what you’re doing. If you want a sled that you’re spending the majority of time off trail and easy to toss around, the Apex isn’t for you. The majority of trail riders don’t care about weight. They want creature comforts like power steering, heated seats, comfy suspension and most important reliability. When I’m 500 miles from my truck on a long saddlebag trip, i want a quality engine/sled that will get me home. And that’s what my Apex does every time. A 800 2 stroke with a burned down piston isn’t very light on the trail. My 185 pound frame plus the weight of my Apex is lighter than the 250 pound guy and his 800 2 stroke going down the trail. Is a 600 class 2 stroke lighter than a 4 cylinder four stroke sure. But I and most Apex owners don’t care about that. We don’t want to be bogged down carrying 2 stroke oil, plugs and worried about a lean burn down on a cold day. Been there done that. Never again. I’m surprised that you’re so down on Yamaha and the Apex being an owner? Jump to the other side for the light weight sleds. You’ll be back, most are.

Last edited:
News flash Yamaha 4s are heavy sleds...lol ....Yawn zzzzzzzzz
Thankyou my point exactly. And if yamaha want to survive theyve got to loosen up on theire reliability and move more toward being compatable with weight reduction.

I had 2 Yamaha dealers tell me that Yamaha sleds are hard to sell. Even the one I bought my latest Apex XTX from.
Lol. That is when i knew the door was open for a low offer. 5 minutes later after "consulting" with the owner, it was mine.

Thankyou my point exactly. And if yamaha want to survive theyve got to loosen up on theire reliability and move more toward being compatable with weight reduction.
No way I would be interested in that trade off. If you want that type of sled by a doo and buy another doo every 3500 miles. Lol

This is just a ridiculous statement. Yamaha should build a lightweight unreliable sled to be competitve in the market. Just give me a sled that’s reliable with excellent quality. I don’t care what the weight is.

Back