• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Where does it OFFICIALLY say Apex is being dropped?

I believe a few years back I seen a post where Yamaha was experimenting with carbon fibre, they were trying to come up with a way to keep it from cracking in supreme cold conditions, I'm not sure of the outcome, this might be part of the equation in the development of a all new Yamaha chassis that is to come.

I can't part with my apex, as after all the improvements, it is just a riot to ride. And it's new half brother is not light by any stretch. In fact, the apex steered easier on our 1 inch of snow, but that is because of the curves and slim jims. The tuners make quite a twin rut. Some side by side comparos are interesting. Sw on our grass drag strip. It's fast! 2017-12-10 18.42.39.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-12-10 18.43.52.jpg
    2017-12-10 18.43.52.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 2017-12-10 18.55.19.jpg
    2017-12-10 18.55.19.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 147
  • 2017-12-10 18.43.26.jpg
    2017-12-10 18.43.26.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 138
Well if noone else will say it i will. I love my apex.....but yes i think there must be a way yamaha can lighten up the apex and still keep the SAME quality......they're just got to be willing to try. And im not thinking a few pounds......thats no different then a good dump.....im talking 100 lbs. Just stop for a minute guys and really think what that would mean for riding these sleds. Shed 100lbs and keep ALL the quality. .....WOW !!!
Thats the challenge i think we all need to present to yamaha corp.
All you guys that say they dont care about weight im sure would change theire mind if they could drive one 100lbs lighter. Dont be stubborn guys.....it would make every part of riding an apex a better experience.....and watch sales explode. There wouldnt be a need then to end the apex because of low sales.

The chassis is so simple and lean, not sure you could lighten that up very much. There's a thread on snowestforums detailing how they removed weight from the sled...but you'll have to give up power steering. The weight doesn't worry me. I think I'd be satisfied with killer, long-stroking suspension front and rear....and a more comfortable riding position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The chassis is so simple and lean, not sure you could lighten that up very much. There's a thread on snowestforums detailing how they removed weight from the sled...but you'll have to give up power steering. The weight doesn't worry me. I think I'd be satisfied with killer, long-stroking suspension front and rear....and a more comfortable riding position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be tough to lose significant weight. A big problem, if you can call it that, is today, everything is narrow...the apex is really wide because of the 4 cylinder. The sw feels light, and narrow, but it is heavy too..I'd bet real world close to the apex weight. There is zero wasted space on the sw, it is packed tight, and the footwells much deeper, so you sit or stand over the front axle, where the apex you are really over the front arm more or less, as far forward as you can go. Makes a big difference on a bump, as you are in the center of notion on the sw, and no kick. We have a nice g out drainage ditch I test compression and launch on, and the sw handles it extremely well, where the apex will actually pick the front out the other side and fly..the sw absorbs it, as I think I'm so far forward, the front stays down. But it is fun comparing the two for sure! Apex has nothing to prove to me. Best sled I ever had. Time will tell with the sw.

Last edited:
I'll never go back to a marine fishing boat outboard 2 stroke motor again. 4 strokes are just so much better overall for outboard marine motors. I hate my 2 stroke weed wacker. However I can see why some people like their snowmobiles to be 2 stroke. Two-strokes are far simpler machines than four-stroke engines. They’re also lighter, easier to work on, and downright angrier, pumping out a lot more power per "cubic centimeter" of displacement, which has won them a lot of fans. Problem is at around 5,000 miles you are going to start having problems with that 2 stroke motor. Plus ever tightening emissions regulations around the world keep making it more and more difficult to build a 2 stroke. Look up opposed-piston engine, mostly abandoned after the second World War. That might be the answer!!!

This started as an official declaration of discontinuation of the Apex...and quickly turned into a weight thing....:jack:

To answer the question....it has NOT appeared in print or any other definitive manner that the Apex is discontinued. So it aint over till its over..as in they aren't on the floor anymore.
Only Yamaha knows if or for how many units they have the tooling and parts available to continue Apex production/sales.
Will they continue to do so??? Up to them. As long as the customers open their wallets for one they will prolly continue to do so...until they run out of parts and or something influences them to stop doing so.
They may simply stop making Apexes to stimulate sales of their other sleds which have incurred big R&D and production costs that need to be recouped....even if they have a warehouse full of Apex parts.

Apex buyers don't care about the weight...if they did they wouldn't even consider one.

It would be nice to see Yamaha offer a sled(s) that are light, 2 stroke and have modern capable suspension which is a different market entirely. But they don't:(
They have left that market entirely to the competition.

I have a couple of 2 stroke off trail and lunatic riding sleds. They are great at that...and piss poor at high mile high speed trail riding...and don't hold a candle to an Apex for driveline reliability.

When groomed trail riding the only time I care how much my Apex weighs is IF I have to pick it up, move it without power or get it unstuck. Otherwise all of its other considerable strengths are front centre:yam:

Well crap the Apex really is gone! Now I am going to be forced to find a 2017 or 2018. I see the have 0% for life of the payments. I need a 1.75 xtx. Time to start looking unless they are retooling the factory and are going to start making them again based on the R1 sportbike newer engine design. It would really suck to buy a 2017 and then find out the NEW 2020 or 2021 Apex is coming out. Holy smokes did I just type 2020? What happened to the year 2000. Seems like yesterday.
WDP_0910_APEX_XTX_LE_1.75_50_White_Red_HI-RES.jpg

Well crap the Apex really is gone! Now I am going to be forced to find a 2017 or 2018. I see the have 0% for life of the payments. I need a 1.75 xtx. Time to start looking unless they are retooling the factory and are going to start making them again based on the R1 sportbike newer engine design. It would really suck to buy a 2017 and then find out the NEW 2020 or 2021 Apex is coming out. Holy smokes did I just type 2020? What happened to the year 2000. Seems like yesterday.
WDP_0910_APEX_XTX_LE_1.75_50_White_Red_HI-RES.jpg

Ecklund Motorsports in Appleton has a leftover 2017 Apex XTX 1.75. Pat's in Greenland also has one listed on their website, but it might have already sold.

Ecklund Motorsports in Appleton has a leftover 2017 Apex XTX 1.75. Pat's in Greenland also has one listed on their website, but it might have already sold.
Thank you I'll check it out. I went over to the Sidewinder section of Ty4stroke and those seem like they are absolute junk! Belts breaking, oil leaking, all kinds of problems.

Last edited:
Thank you I'll check it out. I went over to the Sidewinder section of Ty4stroke and those seem like they are absolute junk! Belts breaking, oil leaking, all kinds of problems.

To be fair, you'll find plenty of complaints in all the sections. Just part of any internet forum. Love my Sidewinder.

Faults of the Apex.
Hand warmers almost live up to their name. They are cool and almost warm to the touch.
Headlight spread is a joke.
Darts like a squirrel on crack.
Mono in factory trim is a bucking bronco.
W arm breaks constantly. On my third one. Last two have been beefed up and this last one repaired 4 times already.
Exhaust. Here is some fun. Flex headers don't like to flex. Titanium y pipes are too fragile. Snap crack pop. Eats donuts faster than the local PD. Exhaust pipe breaks due to lack of mid support. And if that's not good enough lets go put on a $3500 EXUP system on it and make out of..... yup, titanium.
The drone. The dreaded 30-35 mph drone. Enough to drive you deaf and crazy.
RA. Who the heck thot of that??
Plastic bushings. What a great choice to help keep the front end sloppier than a triple Big Mac in the hands of a 5 year old.
Oh wait. Lets put some wiring in the tunnel and connect it to a shock. That should be good for a couple of F bombs.
How about wheels with non replaceable bearings? Great idea.
Clutch engagement that gives you monkey arms in one short season.
Let's put a non moisture connector upside down on the main relay so it can corrode.
Then let's add some non moisture proof ground blocks. That will help your lose your mind.
A speedo that 15%+ off . A sure way to rack up them miles quickly.
Reverse linkage that if not adjusted within a thou will pop out and grind you a pound.
Oil tank that loves to weep oil on your clean garage floor.
Three tiny little beer tabs to keep that rad in place. Good until you hit the a second set of whoops on a Sunday afternoon ride on beat trails.
Never need to bring ice home from the store for your wobbly pops because your tunnel collects about 5olbs of that icy goodness.
Transfer rod that clunks sooo bad that you think you have broken the W arm. Again!
A skid that eats sliders faster than shot gunning a beer on a hot summer day.
You can enjoy all these things as long as it will start because that dang fuel relay freezes up around the same temp that Mother Nature uses to make snow. This helps you create new words in front of your Cat Poo Doo friends.
And if that does get you mad enough to melt your helmet off your head try changing the plugs because not you flooded it. Just to add insult to you already euphoric state now the battery is toast because the relay stuck and burnt your starter.

I'm sure there is more but I think this will get my point across.
Not one sled nor manufacturer are without their issues.
I love my Attak. Puts a grin on my face every time I go out. I have fixed almost everything on my sled that I have mentioned above. The only ones that I have not addressed are the items my sled does not have.
I know newer models have addressed some of the issues but they still have issues. Thus we have an Apex section here on TY.

Better do a little more research. Maybe start a poll asking how many like their sidewinder. Most people only post asking about fixes or if having issues. Also, lots of people adding more boost and tweaking, rather than leaving well enough alone. Sidewinder is still considered a newer model. Like anything else bugs need to be worked out and more miles need to go on before we see how things hold up. I have an '06 Apex RTX still. Should have read that forum back in 2006. Heck, the original suspension only lasted one year in that model, before it changed. I'm guessing you would've said, guess I better get an RX-1.
Love my Sidewinder. Rode the Apex once this season. Enjoyed it and miss the sound and engine, but the ride ain't nothing like the Sidewinder. Neither is the arm pull!

Faults of the Apex.
Hand warmers almost live up to their name. They are cool and almost warm to the touch.
Headlight spread is a joke.
Darts like a squirrel on crack.
Mono in factory trim is a bucking bronco.
W arm breaks constantly. On my third one. Last two have been beefed up and this last one repaired 4 times already.
Exhaust. Here is some fun. Flex headers don't like to flex. Titanium y pipes are too fragile. Snap crack pop. Eats donuts faster than the local PD. Exhaust pipe breaks due to lack of mid support. And if that's not good enough lets go put on a $3500 EXUP system on it and make out of..... yup, titanium.
The drone. The dreaded 30-35 mph drone. Enough to drive you deaf and crazy.
RA. Who the heck thot of that??
Plastic bushings. What a great choice to help keep the front end sloppier than a triple Big Mac in the hands of a 5 year old.
Oh wait. Lets put some wiring in the tunnel and connect it to a shock. That should be good for a couple of F bombs.
How about wheels with non replaceable bearings? Great idea.
Clutch engagement that gives you monkey arms in one short season.
Let's put a non moisture connector upside down on the main relay so it can corrode.
Then let's add some non moisture proof ground blocks. That will help your lose your mind.
A speedo that 15%+ off . A sure way to rack up them miles quickly.
Reverse linkage that if not adjusted within a thou will pop out and grind you a pound.
Oil tank that loves to weep oil on your clean garage floor.
Three tiny little beer tabs to keep that rad in place. Good until you hit the a second set of whoops on a Sunday afternoon ride on beat trails.
Never need to bring ice home from the store for your wobbly pops because your tunnel collects about 5olbs of that icy goodness.
Transfer rod that clunks sooo bad that you think you have broken the W arm. Again!
A skid that eats sliders faster than shot gunning a beer on a hot summer day.
You can enjoy all these things as long as it will start because that dang fuel relay freezes up around the same temp that Mother Nature uses to make snow. This helps you create new words in front of your Cat Poo Doo friends.
And if that does get you mad enough to melt your helmet off your head try changing the plugs because not you flooded it. Just to add insult to you already euphoric state now the battery is toast because the relay stuck and burnt your starter.

I'm sure there is more but I think this will get my point across.
Not one sled nor manufacturer are without their issues.
I love my Attak. Puts a grin on my face every time I go out. I have fixed almost everything on my sled that I have mentioned above. The only ones that I have not addressed are the items my sled does not have.
I know newer models have addressed some of the issues but they still have issues. Thus we have an Apex section here on TY.

I'll let other people respond but from my experience, 2012 and beyond apex are darn near perfect. (yes I hate the drone but I don't live in Canada where there are speed limits)

I'll let other people respond but from my experience, 2012 and beyond apex are darn near perfect. (yes I hate the drone but I don't live in Canada where there are speed limits)
Yep, only took 6 years to perfect. And you're ripping on a sled that is only in it's 2nd year. I own both, also including an '09 Vector. Each sled has it's merits (engine being #1), but each also has it's drawbacks. My ideal would be a boosted Apex motor in a procross like chassis.

Back