• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wolverine upgrade

grizztracks

Tech Advisor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
FX Nytro RTX, RS Vector, SR Viper RTX SE
Decided to update my 2019 X2 rspec 850 to a 2022 Rmax4 XTR 1000. Didn't use the X2 dump box much so went with the 4 seater which I think I'll get more use out off. Yamaha did a great job improving the Wolverine. The 850 X2 was a good machine but I would have never purchased it back in 2019 if the Rmax was available............. The Rmax is an impressive machine.

2019 Rspec 850
x2.JPG

2022 Rmax4 XTR 1000
IMG_8314.JPG

IMG_8315.JPG

Nice! I had a 20 X2 XTR for 5 months and sold it as soon as the RMAX came out.

Yea, I really like this color scheme....... Plow is hooked up and with the last storm put to use, SuperATV flip up window installed and rear speakers added....... Lighting, a few extra power ports, storage boxes and much more to come. It doesn't take long to spend $$$ on a new machine.

Yea, I really like this color scheme....... Plow is hooked up and with the last storm put to use, SuperATV flip up window installed and rear speakers added....... Lighting, a few extra power ports, storage boxes and much more to come. It doesn't take long to spend $$$ on a new machine.
Looking for fuel pressure specs on 2019 Rmax 850.
Stalls multiple times during cold starts.
TIA

Looking for fuel pressure specs on 2019 Rmax 850.
Stalls multiple times during cold starts.
TIA
The cold start issue is common. My X2 would take 2-3 attempts when I first got it. I found that it was better to stick to 87 octane fuel. I also replaced the muffler exhaust tip with a less restrictive port which unexpectedly reduced the cold start issue. Weller racing offers exhaust tips and ECU reprogramming that helps.

Attachments

• x2 fuel pressure.PNG
    x2 fuel pressure.PNG
    231.4 KB · Views: 34
The cold start issue is common. My X2 would take 2-3 attempts when I first got it. I found that it was better to stick to 87 octane fuel. I also replaced the muffler exhaust tip with a less restrictive port which unexpectedly reduced the cold start issue. Weller racing offers exhaust tips and ECU reprogramming that helps.
Thanks, I measured fuel pressure at 46psi.
This problem is getting worse however, as it seems to always take more attempts.
I see the fuel pump updates, do you know why?

Several guys have mentioned Iridium plugs help

I see that the oil pressure switch as well as the thermo unit change up to new part numbers.
I may try them both as it isn't a lot of cost.

There were fuel pump failures the first couple of years of the 850 but they weren't overly common. The fuel pump relay was also reported as a problem in cold weather areas. It can be upgraded to a solid state relay.

I believe it's a cold start ECU mapping issue.... These engines are designed to run 87 octane fuel so if you're running premium it can cause cold start issues. It takes more energy to ignite higher octane fuels. Also, the exhaust on these SxS are overly restrictive and impede air flow. I had an exhaust tip laying around so I installed it on the 850 muffler. I wasn't looking to correct the cold start issues but after the install it helped considerably. I doubt it's the oil pressure or temp sensors but you never know. The reports I've read regarding this issue tend to indicate that the Weller Racing upgrade tends to fix the problem. You may want to contact them instead of throwing parts at it.

There were fuel pump failures the first couple of years of the 850 but they weren't overly common. The fuel pump relay was also reported as a problem in cold weather areas. It can be upgraded to a solid state relay.

I believe it's a cold start ECU mapping issue.... These engines are designed to run 87 octane fuel so if you're running premium it can cause cold start issues. It takes more energy to ignite higher octane fuels. Also, the exhaust on these SxS are overly restrictive and impede air flow. I had an exhaust tip laying around so I installed it on the 850 muffler. I wasn't looking to correct the cold start issues but after the install it helped considerably. I doubt it's the oil pressure or temp sensors but you never know. The reports I've read regarding this issue tend to indicate that the Weller Racing upgrade tends to fix the problem. You may want to contact them instead of throwing parts at it.
It does seem like mapping, but why wouldn't it do this from new then is what I'm wondering.
The owner says it is slowly getting worse.
The updated parts don't cost a lot, so I'm trying them first.

I have another machine here that was rolled and now it will idle, but not rev up. Temp light on all the time.
How do I access the service manual on this site?
Thanks

I believe, and I could be mistaken, access to the service manuals is somewhat limited to just snowmobiles.

I have another machine here that was rolled and now it will idle, but not rev up. Temp light on all the time.
How do I access the service manual on this site?
Thanks
what year wolverine? we do have a few for some years.

Back