• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Would you buy an all new 2014 Yamaha sled if...

kinger said:
Easy boys, the SDI/Etec lines of engines are amazing they do what yammi cant; make the same or better power, make the same or better mpg, and make the same or better cost of use, all in a two stroke lightweight package.

I know everyone here bleeds blue but we cant shun a good technology when you see one. Also we need to stop with the motors going kaboom and assume every one is a ticking time bomb, do you know how many MORE ski doo motors are on the trails compared to yamaha, its like 3-4:1 their odds go up dramatically with that much more iron out flying around.

I know lots of etecs and SDI's with 8000+ miles no rebuild. I know a few that didn't make it that far. I know a few yammies that threw rods through the case, I know quite a few that didn't.

Point of this post was to vote if you wanted a 2 stroke or not.

I'll agree to a point! My buds SDI burns about as much oil in a season as I change. In a long season he burns more but not enough to really worry about. He does burn expensive oil though and only Doo oil will Doo! Bad on a long haul if he runs out.

Up side of the new Doo tec. Way less oil consumption. Good mileage! Lighter motor.

Down side. Still have to carry oil on long bagger trips. Motors still go boom more often then 4 strokes. They still stink of burnt oil. Still afraid of a lean out on long pulls across lakes.

So my answer is still no! I'll stick with the 4 strokes even if I bought a Doo!

thor452 said:
so are you changing the oil in the phazer weekly? I love my motor but dont see any reason to change it more often then yamaha recomends as it is made to run "12000rpm" all day everyday. it can and dose take it constantly. if you are doing it more often then that well thats your bag but that dont mean that the sdi is better on oil it just means you got money to waste on unneeded oil changes.

I change the oil in our Phazer every 1500km with Amsoil full synthetic and the filter once a year. The oil is pretty dank, even after that many kms. The crank bearings went in it at 3,000km and with the warranty now gone, I'm not taking any chances. Are you saying its a bad thing to change the oil that often? Don't forget in a twin 4 stroke both pistons are moving at the same time, so that's a helluva lot of movement in such a "little" motor.

I would buy a new Yamaha in2014 if they bring out a sled that is comparable to my current pro rmk in weight and handling. If it has a 2 or 4 stroke would not matter to me.

Suckur said:
I change the oil in our Phazer every 1500km with Amsoil full synthetic and the filter once a year. The oil is pretty dank, even after that many kms. The crank bearings went in it at 3,000km and with the warranty now gone, I'm not taking any chances. Are you saying its a bad thing to change the oil that often? Don't forget in a twin 4 stroke both pistons are moving at the same time, so that's a helluva lot of movement in such a "little" motor.

Wow every 1,000 miles. That is overkill! Most years I get 3,000 miles. Thats an insane amount of oil changes. But hey its your money.

Twin or triple of quad the pistons are all moving at the same time. Once up and down for each revolution.

Sasquatch said:
kinger said:
Easy boys, the SDI/Etec lines of engines are amazing they do what yammi cant; make the same or better power, make the same or better mpg, and make the same or better cost of use, all in a two stroke lightweight package.

I know everyone here bleeds blue but we cant shun a good technology when you see one. Also we need to stop with the motors going kaboom and assume every one is a ticking time bomb, do you know how many MORE ski doo motors are on the trails compared to yamaha, its like 3-4:1 their odds go up dramatically with that much more iron out flying around.

I know lots of etecs and SDI's with 8000+ miles no rebuild. I know a few that didn't make it that far. I know a few yammies that threw rods through the case, I know quite a few that didn't.

Point of this post was to vote if you wanted a 2 stroke or not.

I'll agree to a point! My buds SDI burns about as much oil in a season as I change. In a long season he burns more but not enough to really worry about. He does burn expensive oil though and only Doo oil will Doo! Bad on a long haul if he runs out.

Up side of the new Doo tec. Way less oil consumption. Good mileage! Lighter motor.

Down side. Still have to carry oil on long bagger trips. Motors still go boom more often then 4 strokes. They still stink of burnt oil. Still afraid of a lean out on long pulls across lakes.

So my answer is still no! I'll stick with the 4 strokes even if I bought a Doo!

My sentiments exactly, the Dootec 600 I ride with uses about a quart every 200-250 miles, so only in a BAD season does he use less oil than me. He USE to get 20+ mpg and 300+ miles per quart of oil UNTIL it blew up and Doo reprogrammed the computer when they installed the new engine. And I really wouldn't say there is ALOT more doo engines on the trail either as I still see ALOT of "OLD" Yamaha RX1 and Vectors on the trail and RARELY see a REV1 on the trails in Minnesota. I DID find all the Rev1s though, went to the local salvage yard to get some parts for my nephews raptor and there was a "Sea of Yellow" with less than a 1/4 of them having impact damage, the only Yami's there were older 2 stroke with HIGH miles or impact damaged 4 strokes.

yamadoo

When my engine fails beyond repair in my 2011 800etec and my chassis fails in my 2010 nytro rtx se Im going to make a yamadoo. I heard we might soon see articyama's

I have been 4 stroke since the introduction of the Vector, and I have been Yamaha since the 96XT. In all that time my only failure was the dreaded 97 600SX twin that went off like a Bouncing Betty at 1,000 miles 75 miles from nowhere. That said, I would be all over a Yamaha 2 stroke in a crossover chassis.

Bring out a good 700 class motor with 150 or so would please me to no end.

The day that Yami goes to 2 strokes will be the day that I kiss them goodbye. I ride them right now solely on the 4 stroke motor, and I have no regrets what so ever, best engines in the industry bar none. :Rockon: But a 2 stroke in a Yamaha chassis would be like taking a '69 GTO and putting a new Honda Civic motor in it...totally defeats the purpose IMO.

I would be interested only if i was buying a dedicated mountain sled. Otherwise, no way. It took a lot of penny saving to buy my apex which is my first 4stroke. I dont miss working on the old 2 Stroke, for the last 3 years its been really nice to turn the key and ride.

Back