• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Would you buy an all new 2014 Yamaha sled if...

We have a 600 SDI with 12,300 miles, that's 20,000 km. Gets as good mpg as my phazer and uses less oil (burn vs change). Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Suckur said:
We have a 600 SDI with 12,300 miles, that's 20,000 km. Gets as good mpg as my phazer and uses less oil (burn vs change). Things that make you go hmmmmm.
HMMMMMMM,nah.Can,t yet fall to the unholy BRP(bring rings,pistons)just yet,If i go darkside it maybe polaris first but with the way fuel prices are going fueling up a 12gallon tank just gets old(and hurts my wallet).As for the claims about wonderful fuel economy just give me that E-TEC sucker for a day,i will make the arabs happy :yam: .

Suckur said:

This statement makes me go hmmmmm. So your burning less than 4 litres a year, hmmmmmmm.

Sled Dog said:
Suckur said:

This statement makes me go hmmmmm. So your burning less than 4 litres a year, hmmmmmmm.

Is he saying his SDI uses less 2 stroke oil that the 4 stroker burns? I'm a tad perplexed on his meaning.... He prob has a very reliable SDI but obviously it would use more oil, that's how 2 strokers lubricate themselves. Shoot, Ive always turned up oil usage on my 2 strokers as cheap insurance.

Back to the question of the OP, for serious off trail riding can't beat 2 strokes. Is it old technology with inherent less reliabity? For the most part, yes. But is it more functional off trail? Absolutely, yes. Lighter weight, easier to throw around and maneuver, less issues with being put on side or rollovers. And most paramount: 2 strokers are just easier and more fun in the back country.

Super Sled said:
Sled Dog said:
Suckur said:

Is he saying his SDI uses less 2 stroke oil that the 4 stroker burns? I'm a tad perplexed on his meaning.... He prob has a very reliable SDI but obviously it would use more oil, that's how 2 strokers lubricate themselves. Shoot, Ive always turned up oil usage on my 2 strokers as cheap insurance.

Back to the question of the OP, for serious off trail riding can't beat 2 strokes. Is it old technology with inherent less reliabity? For the most part, yes. But is it more functional off trail? Absolutely, yes. Lighter weight, easier to throw around and maneuver, less issues with being put on side or rollovers. And most paramount: 2 strokers are just easier and more fun in the back country.
I beleve he is saying he didnt burn enuff oil in his two stroke all year to equal a oil change in a four stroke he is also running a 600 sounds like he dont get out much and likes little motors makes sense that he would like a 600 sdi. my answer more horse power makes heavy seem light it is a diffrent ride with the extra pounds but if you have the ponies you have to remember you are along for the ride on a yamaha as it dose what you tell it not where you throw it.

Lol Thor, I'm a poor trainer I guess then b/c I've never been able to get any of my sleds to obey my commands. (this is just playing, btw ;-) )

My opinion now (it has shifted after riding a heavy 4 stroke mountain sled) is that four strokes suffer too great of a performance/ functionality disadvantage OFF TRAIL as compared to two strokers. Makes the fun factor diminish too much. And for why? I like my sled in the deeper stuff to respond to leaning by turning, not fighting me and just plowing forward, and i'm a decent rider wearing 195 pounds absent gear on. That is not functionality and forget playing in the trees without completely wearing yourself out.

Yes there is greater reliabilty inherent with 4 strokes and for on trail I'm a believer. But for off trails/ mountain segment, two strokers have an inherent advantage by far. This is why Yamaha's market share is diminishing in those segments (and these sleds are the only growing segment btw). Out west you don't see many Yamahas, at least I didn't.

So Yamaha: come on, stay in the game, please. Release a DI/ SDI 2 stroke motor in a lighter chasis for off trail. This is my humble opinion from a die hard Yammi guy.

i agree that the weight is a burden off trail just wanted to get you going alittle. I also believe a four stroke can be lighter if they were to stick the money in r&d but then would it be affordable. I dont know personaly id rather be sure i got a ride home but that may all change when i hit the mountains next season.

What I am saying is that I have 20,000 km on a two stroke. I guess if that means I don't get out much then some of you guys are incredibly devoted riders. Also, in a 4 stroke that likes to operate at 12,000 rpm all day, the oil should be changed quite often, if you like your engine and want it to last. I am also saying is that the "little" 600 SDI which has the same power as a Nytro and weighs 100 lbs less burns oil at a slower rate than we change it in the phazer. The two stroke dominates off the groomed trail but the phazer takes it in really rough trails. If I had to choose between the two I'd take the 2T simply because it handles so well, has incredible power and is efficient to operate. We also find it breaks suspension components a lot less than the phazer does. Our Apex is a great sled too, but I wouldn't take it off the groomed trail. It's just too heavy and weird handling in soft snow, it wants to go down the fall line. The 800 Freeride my brother has is a different beast altogether. It is hard to steer at slow speeds but get it in the trees and hit that flapper. Wow! Each machine has its own advantages and disadvantages I guess. Yamaha has its 8-12% market share well taken care of.

i dont get your comment about oil consumption,your saying that a 600 sdi burns less oil that a phazer's oil change,better check the oil pump on the sdi before it goes boom,if you can ride 5000 km on 3 litres of oil,your sled must have special powers

so are you changing the oil in the phazer weekly? I love my motor but dont see any reason to change it more often then yamaha recomends as it is made to run "12000rpm" all day everyday. it can and dose take it constantly. if you are doing it more often then that well thats your bag but that dont mean that the sdi is better on oil it just means you got money to waste on unneeded oil changes.

Easy boys, the SDI/Etec lines of engines are amazing they do what yammi cant; make the same or better power, make the same or better mpg, and make the same or better cost of use, all in a two stroke lightweight package.

I know everyone here bleeds blue but we cant shun a good technology when you see one. Also we need to stop with the motors going kaboom and assume every one is a ticking time bomb, do you know how many MORE ski doo motors are on the trails compared to yamaha, its like 3-4:1 their odds go up dramatically with that much more iron out flying around.

I know lots of etecs and SDI's with 8000+ miles no rebuild. I know a few that didn't make it that far. I know a few yammies that threw rods through the case, I know quite a few that didn't.

Point of this post was to vote if you wanted a 2 stroke or not.

kinger said:
Easy boys, the SDI/Etec lines of engines are amazing they do what yammi cant; make the same or better power, make the same or better mpg, and make the same or better cost of use, all in a two stroke lightweight package.

I know everyone here bleeds blue but we cant shun a good technology when you see one. Also we need to stop with the motors going kaboom and assume every one is a ticking time bomb, do you know how many MORE ski doo motors are on the trails compared to yamaha, its like 3-4:1 their odds go up dramatically with that much more iron out flying around.

I know lots of etecs and SDI's with 8000+ miles no rebuild. I know a few that didn't make it that far. I know a few yammies that threw rods through the case, I know quite a few that didn't.

Point of this post was to vote if you wanted a 2 stroke or not.

Let's see, My first valve adjustment is coming up at , oh yea 25,000 miles. You aren't even close. And why not buy a 2008 APex or Nytro with 300 to 1000 miles for 5000K and put another 5 or 6 k in it to lighten it up? Then you have
a light sled with reliability and handling. Not to mention the power differences if you boost the Yamaha.

Back