• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Best Suspension setting

drumz11 said:
chop1869 said:
I'm waiting on a set of ski savers from Bergstrom to try on my Xtx. I'm 6' and 280 lbs. Stock 4" carbide but I want to try the cat staggered aggressive 4.5". Anybody tried those yet? I rode an XF1100T last season with the staggered and could steer with 1 hand easily.
Hopefully he sends the shims with the ski savers. They make a big difference with darting. I ran ski savers on this skid before adding shims and they didn't do much alone. I would shim them. My carbides showed too much front wear on this chassis last season so I'm guessing these xtx's will benefit as well
Ran last weekend with the savers and shims on groomed trails with loose snow on top. Handles great 65 front 120 rear and center spring loose. I'm going to let limiter out one hole to reduce steering effort and hopefully it won't push. Still on stock 4" single.

Ran 142 miles yesterday on the new 6" Slim Jim Dooleys. Some freshly groomed trail....some hard pack with light snow on top. What a difference !! Darting is completely gone.....could ride with 1 hand on the bars at 40 or at 65mph.
Turning effortlessly now and going exactly where it's pointed.

My weight with gear: 220lbs
front shocks: 85psi
rear shock: 120psi
front skid shock: 1/2 way
limiter strap: middle

I've never bottomed out but I feel like I might get bucked off when riding the chatter. Not sure if I want to mess with the rear shock now that I have it steering so well.

Could coming down say 10 pounds in the rear affect my steering ??

you can try 10 pounds but when I dropped to 100 in the rear I found it bottoming out all the time. 120 is the only setting that does not buck me off in 1' chatter or bottom out on 3' mogul

Has anyone ever tryed a rear cat shock with coil over spring. I see that the 2015 viper m tx 153 comes with a coil over shock on rear of rear skid, i wonder if that would help the ride on the xtxs one thing u wouldnt have to worry aboat is if shock blew your suspension wont collapse

freelance said:
Ran 142 miles yesterday on the new 6" Slim Jim Dooleys. Some freshly groomed trail....some hard pack with light snow on top. What a difference !! Darting is completely gone.....could ride with 1 hand on the bars at 40 or at 65mph.
Turning effortlessly now and going exactly where it's pointed.

My weight with gear: 220lbs
front shocks: 85psi
rear shock: 120psi
front skid shock: 1/2 way
limiter strap: middle

I've never bottomed out but I feel like I might get bucked off when riding the chatter. Not sure if I want to mess with the rear shock now that I have it steering so well.

Could coming down say 10 pounds in the rear affect my steering ??

Freelance, I think if you do that your steering will suffer, you will bottom out on big washouts and still have a bad stutter/chatter ride. The center shock should be softened up and then more pressure in the rear shock so you get the full use of your suspension and a couch-like ride. Not only will that help your ride in the rear, It will help keep the skis planted cause where the pressure is being forced down at the rear of the suspension.

Now I'm confused... :D
This thread seem to suggest lighter preload on the front skid shock, but your findings (in this link) suggest stiffer center shock spring... I've ordered the Zbroz 160 lbs spring as I'm 220 lbs with gear. Hope it will work :)

Post your results, but everybody I know that has done it likes it.

Stiffer spring but less preload. Was discussed before but you always are better off with the highest rate spring that achieves ride height and the qualities you want. Preload is stored energy and it is hard for the shock to control it. Less needed the better. Now if you are a real light rider and arent using much if any preload to get a good ride and feel you want then you are good or maybe could even go lighter if its backed off all the way.

Here is my settings after this weekend and it's even better than it was before.

Front shocks 68 (checked with skis in the air) maybe going down to 64 this weekend.

Center shock with 11 threads showing, rear shock set at 130 and limiter straps now sucked down another hole. I am in the 3rd hole now and the skis will come up 3-4 inches on the hard-packed trail. Rail like no tomorrow with the stock skis a the ride is very plush. If I just get on my sled, I have 3 inches of movement.

When I sit back, I can carry the skis up to 80mph
(see Winterfest 2014 in the racing section for a video)
Does this work good for washboard trails?

Does this work good for washboard trails?

Yes, no issues and still have the same setup pretty much other than having more threads showing on the center shock because of the spring getting some miles on it.

This setup I have run across 2-3 foot moguls with no problems at 80mph

Here is my settings after this weekend and it's even better than it was before.

Front shocks 68 (checked with skis in the air) maybe going down to 64 this weekend.

Center shock with 11 threads showing, rear shock set at 130 and limiter straps now sucked down another hole. I am in the 3rd hole now and the skis will come up 3-4 inches on the hard-packed trail. Rail like no tomorrow with the stock skis a the ride is very plush. If I just get on my sled, I have 3 inches of movement.

When I sit back, I can carry the skis up to 80mph
(see Winterfest 2014 in the racing section for a video)

Should the track/skid be off the the ground when adjusting rear shock pressure and should the skis alway be off the ground when adjusting shock pressure? Also, does it matter if it's summer or winter when you make your adjustments?

Should the track/skid be off the the ground when adjusting rear shock pressure and should the skis alway be off the ground when adjusting shock pressure? Also, does it matter if it's summer or winter when you make your adjustments?

Yes, always adjust your pressure with the skis off the ground and the rear suspension off the ground.

Winter to summer will be not the same...always good to check pressure before a good ride in winter

Yes, always adjust your pressure with the skis off the ground and the rear suspension off the ground.

Winter to summer will be not the same...always good to check pressure before a good ride in winter
Great information/advice, very much appreciated.

*I have another question and the answer may be long, so if don't want to or can't answer, I completely understand. The Viper (2014) is new to me so I'm always very appreciative of any and all feedback and help. So here's the question; fully dressed I probably weigh approximately 260-270 lbs (6'5" tall). Where should I start as an initial setting (starting point), i.e. ski and skid shocks pressure, etc? I will be riding mostly trails and some lakes and rivers.

Thank you in advance.

Back