• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

The thing that disturbs me the most is since the headquarters moved to Canada, their “involvement” in social media, racing, and advertising has dropped big time. The last 2 snow-tech magazines had zero advertising from Yamaha and they must have never given a long term test sled either. No reports. Sounds like their trade show setups have been lacking also. Considering it’s the big 50 this year, don’t you think they would be proud of that and try to advertise that aspect? I have no idea what’s next, but I see a company that has zero interest in being in it to win it. So what was the advantage of moving headquarters? What has changed or got better? Either they are burrowed in at Minoqua r&d building something unbelievable or they are done. Plain and simple.
A big X2, and very well said! At the Big East Show this year I asked the Yamaha ""Rep"" :rofl: that was there? ""It is Yamaha's 50th anniversary in snowmobiles this year right? Yes sir, why do you ask. Well you'd never know it by this display!!!"" No posters, hats, t shirts, mugs, pens not even a simple key chain! #$%&* No swag of any kind, freebie's or to purchase! In that whole show the only thing acknowledging there anniversary was the 2018 FXR jacket with 50th patches that Port Yamaha and Highlands were selling! Sad, very sad indeed.:( My hope is that they are burrowed in at Minoqua, :Rockon: but I think the reality is they'll ride out this OEM agreement and see what move Textron makes with Cat! Look at the sales of ATV's, SxS's versus sleds. Lets face it, Textron bought Cat for the dirt side and got sleds as an after thought! End of rant, so flame away! ;)!

Not to be captain obvious but they would not have put all the R&D into there new CLUTCHES and launch it years before what people say "There Getting out of the sled business"!!:dunno:..POPCORN IS POPPING LOL

Last edited:
Not to be captain obvious but they would not have put all the R&D into there new drivetrain and launch it years before what people say "There Getting out of the sled business"!!:dunno:..POPCORN IS POPPING LOL
Not to sound ignorant but, what new drive train?

You have to remember Cat is already dead they sold out, Textron has there own idea's about the direction they will go, they are keeping the Cat name for now to sell sleds, the atv -utv side are slowly changing over to the stampede line, the sled line will follow or be sold, Yamaha lives!!!

See no change unless Cat name drops and only Yamaha name exists, other wise nothing changes!

This is spot on! I feel all the magazines that I read seem to talk up the other 3 but never really much on yamahas. Even with the sidewinder coming to light in 2017 there was not a whole said in the magazines. It's always about POO and DOO's all the time. Another thing I noticed when I'm on snowmobile pages on facebook, everyone is trashing Yamahas. Saying they are complete garbage and why would anyone buy one. I just shack my head and say open yours eyes. These light 2's are weak. I have seen many DOO's with twisted frames. I just wish more people would actually sit down and do a little reading on all he brands before they start running there mouths.

Wasn't too long ago Cats where fair game to trash on TY and considered substandard. Then they stuck the Yamaha name on one and everything changed. Best sled on the snow LOL!

Dang this is depressing! How about going to local grass drags and 2 of 3 winning sleds are Yamaha’s. Or go riding during the week, low snow or cold and the ratio of Yamaha on Trail doubles vs the weekend warrior crowd on other brands. Or how about owning 1 sled vs buddies that had to buy 3 because thier sleds were shot? Maybe I see through blue glasses but I am proud to do so. Thought of Yamaha being gone from snowmobiles is just so depressing. All snowmobiles would suffer cause the makes left would make even more junk. Can’t happen.

Sorry is happening! All lines being swallowed by Cat.

Wasn't too long ago Cats where fair game to trash on TY and considered substandard. Then they stuck the Yamaha name on one and everything changed. Best sled on the snow LOL!
I do feel cat has come a long ways since the mid 2000's. There was a time when I talked a lot of trash about cats. Maybe its because my brothers was such a piece of crap and always had a problem but all I know is cat sleds a pretty nice now and are probably the most reliable 2 stroke out there.

Don’t forget Yamaha change many fasteners when putting their name on it and I do believe there is an all Japanese sled coming

Thats because the quality of Cat has come up since the agreement. The agreement has helped both companies.

Thats because the quality of Cat has come up since the agreement. The agreement has helped both companies.
I have a really hard time thinking Yamaha brass and engineers walked into TRF and said no no no you are doing it all wrong! Cats improvement in quality came from most likely a change in the regime and the fact that the 13 was a disaster when it should have put them on par with doo for sales. Never underestimate a big wig that wants to save money the easy way. He will literally kill a company with cheap parts outsourced. Similar to Yamaha. Do you really think Yamaha is the same company that they were in the 80’s when they had the market? No they are not. Because the people that created the original phazer, vmax 4, 700sx and srx no longer reside. What’s left is performance damper and slingshot engineer’s! God help us!

They did not tell them they were doing it all wrong. They just had to make some adjustments. They upgraded the quality of some of the parts and assembly. There was no change in Cats regime at that time. The build quality of the Procross chassis from 12 to 14 and then from 14 to 17 is night and day. I have to believe Yamaha has SOME input on the chassis they were getting and putting their name on.
I think this arrangement has helped both sides. Cat gets good engines and some insight on quality control, Yamaha gets a superior chassis and maybe some help getting product to market faster. There is no denying the passion the people at Cat have for the sport of snowmobiling, maybe some will rub off on some Yamaha folks.

I have a really hard time thinking Yamaha brass and engineers walked into TRF and said no no no you are doing it all wrong! Cats improvement in quality came from most likely a change in the regime and the fact that the 13 was a disaster when it should have put them on par with doo for sales. Never underestimate a big wig that wants to save money the easy way. He will literally kill a company with cheap parts outsourced. Similar to Yamaha. Do you really think Yamaha is the same company that they were in the 80’s when they had the market? No they are not. Because the people that created the original phazer, vmax 4, 700sx and srx no longer reside. What’s left is performance damper and slingshot engineer’s! God help us!
I have to disagree with you on that because my 2014 Yamaha Apex is the only snowmobile that has ever held up, so they still make a perfect machine.

They did not tell them they were doing it all wrong. They just had to make some adjustments. They upgraded the quality of some of the parts and assembly. There was no change in Cats regime at that time. The build quality of the Procross chassis from 12 to 14 and then from 14 to 17 is night and day. I have to believe Yamaha has SOME input on the chassis they were getting and putting their name on.
I think this arrangement has helped both sides. Cat gets good engines and some insight on quality control, Yamaha gets a superior chassis and maybe some help getting product to market faster. There is no denying the passion the people at Cat have for the sport of snowmobiling, maybe some will rub off on some Yamaha folks.

Yamaha made some suggestions on fasteners & Cat listened. They also learned some cost cutting improvements so they could spend an extra minute to re-check things for quality control. This was admitted by AC in an article. I can not remember what mag & am looking thru my stuff now.

Cats are Cats I rode them for years and had few problems with them, one can believe that the quality has improved since Yamaha put their sticker on them. Some even now believe that the Yamaha sticker sled is superior to the identical Cat sled! Yet Cat guys always thought the quality was there! My nephew loves his Cats and says Yamaha is junk!

I rode Cats for years. Has 12 in a 17 year period. Loved the performance. Worked on them constantly. The last new one was a 2004 F7. It rattled apart in 2 years. It was then I began to buy Yamaha. Loved the motor. Still needed some work.
I ACTUALLY own a 2014 Viper and a 2017 Winder, they sit side by side in the garage, so I can tell you the quality has come up.

Back