• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha only built 3,000 sleds in 2010?

I think the low sled volumes from Yamaha and small tweeks for 2011 might be due to "new" products being introduced in the 2012 season.Just my .02 ;)!

kingedwards99 said:
I see still making tons of sleds at affordable prices is Skidoo.

Affordable? Did you see the prices on the new 800 etec. its almost the same as the apex se, the cheaper sleds on the market are proably a Polaris, if your looking at prices.

I agree, I don't see Ski-doo as the "cheap affordable sled" people. At a few DooYami dealers the doos are either priced the same or HIGHER than the equivalent Yamaha. The new 800 Etc is only 1000$ less than the APEX, thier new 60hp 4 stroke is priced 200-300$ less than the 80hp phazer. Etec 600 is roughly even with the Nytro. I still see ALOT of 08' Yamahas and Doos left in dealer inventory also.

And I guess there down the toilet goes the theory of waiting a few years and picking up a sweet used 2011 sled when prices come down......

If there aren't many of them out there, forget finding a good deal on a used one!

Mike

Guys.... settle down. Yamaha isn't going down the toilet for Christs sake.

People just don't have the extra/disposable income they had just a few short years ago to buy luxury items like sleds,atvs,boats,etc.. That's why manufacturers are cutting production numbers.

If you were making a product & let's say you produced 10,000 of that product & only sold 3,000 of them. You have 7,000 units sitting around losing you money everyday!

What would you do if it was your wallet?

TurboJamie said:
In my latest Snowtech it says yamaha only produced 3,000 sleds in 2010? Is that a misprint?

Pure speculation, like most of that magazine.

There is absolutely no reason for Yamaha to give this kind of information away to a magazine. This type of information is usually not available from any company. The only way to approximate this number is to add the sales numbers all over the world as soon as 2010 is over. I estimate the Yamahas sold in Sweden only to be somewhere around 1000 units and there is no way in hell that Sweden alone would cover 1/3 of the total production run.

theCATman said:
If you were making a product & let's say you produced 10,000 of that product & only sold 3,000 of them. You have 7,000 units sitting around losing you money everyday!

What would you do if it was your wallet?

I compleatly agree with that. I work a part time job at a grocery store and its the same idea. we have to "keep the orders tight" meaning make sure that thers no stock left at the end of the night in the back it should all be sold at the end of the night. I think its the same idea here at the end of the year they don't want any stock left over, and i cant blame them.

3000 does not seem reasonable to me. Yamaha makes like 5 different sleds ex. Apex, Phazers (Not counting the "sub-model" like rtx or mtx and stuff). that only gives like 600 of each models?

Yamaha in my opinion is being smart.

While many dealers are being limited to few 2011 sleds, (and 2010s), I would be willing to bet some are still on the floor.

When the economy is as bad as it is now, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out sales will suffer, bad. First thing to go for most people is the toys.

When food is scarce, the overweight guy will suffer more than the trim. When 2012/13/14 Doo, Polaris and Cats won't sell because leftovers are stiffening sales, Yamaha will be riding the wave.

Doesn't the fat guy have more to spare? I think Yammy is smart, but they may have overestimated the toll the economy would take on sled sales. I think it has helped the older sleds hold their value better as well.

Maxout01 said:
Its almost like yamaha is closing the deal on them building sleds. I understand the cuts this past 2010 year. But now the huge rise in price says to me they just want to make less sleds with the profit of the same margin as when they sold more sleds.

I love yamahas, I really do. But honestly in the next 5 years the ONLY sled manufacturer I see still making tons of sleds at affordable prices is Skidoo.
To me BRP is the only company left in the game that seems to be serious about making sleds for the long haul.

Yamaha is such a large company that makes so many products, do they really need and want the sled division anymore?

This is how I see it, sleds need to go more to the basics like they used to be so they are cheaper. They all need to be fourstrokes, and probably significantly less power then an apex for example.

Season after season with little snow, recession never ending, money being harder and harder to set aside and current us wakos in charge of this country and making laws tougher and tougher while taking away job after job... You really see yourself buying anything like a sled new in the next five years with where this is all headed? Maybe yamaha is doing what they always did, looking way into the future.

They say the world's ending in like 2012 anyway isn't it, so really doesn't matter, lol!

Doo is going to be in one of the worst positions.

• The Canadian dollar is appreciating against most world currencies.
    Doo has recently introduced (and needs to recoup the costs of) more new tech than any other manufacturer.
    Doo isn't as diversified as Yamaha.

I think with the amount of market share doo has along with the industry leading technology ( none of us can argue that) they will contiune to steal sales from other manufacturers. Im sure cat will be loosing riders to other brands this winter. Im also sure that people who purchased yamaha sleds for 4s reliability have again jumped back to doo now with the 800 etec and the doo 4s offering. The new apex is cool I got to see one the other day. No question yamaha builds an awesome sled in the apex chassis and an even better motor.

TurboJamie said:
I think with the amount of market share doo has along with the industry leading technology ( none of us can argue that) they will contiune to steal sales from other manufacturers. Im sure cat will be loosing riders to other brands this winter. Im also sure that people who purchased yamaha sleds for 4s reliability have again jumped back to doo now with the 800 etec and the doo 4s offering. The new apex is cool I got to see one the other day. No question yamaha builds an awesome sled in the apex chassis and an even better motor.

Now thats some funny stuff, you gotta share some of that industry leading technology with us. LMFAO

Sorry to make you think different but Etec is industly leading, they are #1 for a reason.

Imagine Etec in a 4 stroke application.

Yammerhead said:
Maxout01 said:
Its almost like yamaha is closing the deal on them building sleds. I understand the cuts this past 2010 year. But now the huge rise in price says to me they just want to make less sleds with the profit of the same margin as when they sold more sleds.

I love yamahas, I really do. But honestly in the next 5 years the ONLY sled manufacturer I see still making tons of sleds at affordable prices is Skidoo.
To me BRP is the only company left in the game that seems to be serious about making sleds for the long haul.

Yamaha is such a large company that makes so many products, do they really need and want the sled division anymore?

This is how I see it, sleds need to go more to the basics like they used to be so they are cheaper. They all need to be fourstrokes, and probably significantly less power then an apex for example.

Season after season with little snow, recession never ending, money being harder and harder to set aside and current us wakos in charge of this country and making laws tougher and tougher while taking away job after job... You really see yourself buying anything like a sled new in the next five years with where this is all headed? Maybe yamaha is doing what they always did, looking way into the future.

They say the world's ending in like 2012 anyway isn't it, so really doesn't matter, lol!

Doo is going to be in one of the worst positions.

• The Canadian dollar is appreciating against most world currencies.
    Doo has recently introduced (and needs to recoup the costs of) more new tech than any other manufacturer.
    Doo isn't as diversified as Yamaha.

you missed my point completely. You can go to the local dealer and buy a brand new skidoo xp tnt with the 500ss motor as a left over, or even brand new just came in sled for 6,000 and under. That tnt with that motor is a great, light chassis, thats fast with lots of power, reliable and an awsome sled all around.
I would not buy it over my apex, or even over a 600 or 800 etec, but the point remains you could go to the dealer and buy a new sled that is in a new chassis with rebuildable shocks and can hang with the best of them for literally half the price of most other machines.
Its sleds like these that I was talking about. And its not just skidoo. Polaris has a few themselves in this price range. I'm sure others do that im missing.
Not many people would go spend 7-8k on a phazer over a tnt for example because with the doo, yea it has older tech, but its in a new tech chassis that even the 12,000 doo has also. What new yamaha sled can you buy for that price with that much power in the best chassis yamaha makes?

Skidoo is indeed spending alot in future technology, but they make older tech thats cheap and in a proven new tech chassis that is just as fun to run with the best of them, with some drawbacks yes, but enough to warrant double the price??

I'm just saying sleds are getting to futuristic making them too expensive. I dont know many rich people who like sleds. Most sledders I know come from different demographics, so most dont want, need or have that money to spend on a sled. Plus with the weather patterns seeming to eat winter up in a month instead of giving us a real season, and the bad economy with rising unemployment and high costs of living, its just makes me nervous for the future of our sport.

If alot less of us buy new, with every year there will be less and less used. Less leftovers, and eventually could be not there or very hard to get into.

I wish they all were able to do better with sleds in the 6-8,000 range category, because it could be the highest selling category in the near future. Doesn't make them the fastest, best sleds made. Its just what we can all afford and will buy to stay in our beloved sport.

Also I dont know what the numbers of sleds each manufacturer are as to what they sell each year, but skidoo seems to be what everyone has at least one of more then not. I like yamahas better, but have had more doos then yamahas simply because of prices and availabilty. I'm sure that varies by area of living and riding though.

I understand why they are all expensive, and also understand the pressures they are under from the government. But the bottom line is that the 6-8,000 range seems to be the line stuck in peoples heads when thinking "yes ill buy new this year, or ill buy used cause new is to expensive". If the doesn't change in our heads an wallets then the reasons they are so expensive really dont matter cause they wont sell anyhow.

More people involved in our sport is better for us all. The smaller we get as a whole, the less we have for trails, groomers, clubs and so on. So to me I'd rather be running around on a 69 oly going 15 mph with a huge sport, then a 130mph sled with no trails to ride.

I tend to think outside the box into the future and because of that it kinda hurts me enjoying whats now.

I'm more worried about how the prices affect the future of our sport as a whole then i am of having the best of the best sled out there.

Back