• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamalaris build

zx4ever

VIP Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
08 nytro ty4stroke customized
Well with it being summer and not much happening on ty4, I will share my progress on my latest project. After 9 years of owning and customizing my nytro with help from my ty4 friends. I am finally modifying on a different sled. I found a blown motor dragon for sale for $350 so it is going to be my platform. I am going to put a nytro drivetrain and motor into it. I am hoping it will be better balanced than the nytro, I will keep my nytro and use it when my wife comes with me. Or when the snow is really deep as this yamalaris will not have a turbo. Here is a few pics of the dragon when I picked it up. I will update weekly as I make progress on it. Jadon

D542B307-0494-43E2-BCAC-9642A1AA7AE6.jpeg
6FEA3434-0321-464D-9756-DC1332652656.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

I know lots of people think I’m crazy. To spend all the time to make this happen. But I look at it this way. 1 I can’t afford to buy a new sidewinder. 2 I know my nytro so well that if something goes wrong I usually know how to fix it because I have had the whole sled apart and know how everything works. 3 if I use the nytro stuff I can steel parts off my other sled if needed. 4 in western Canada you have to almost give away your nytro. And I am hoping that it will weight in a lot lighter than the nytro. Here is a picture of my yamalaris in the garage beside my turbo tank.

75F4274A-D25E-4243-836C-6B5EDD85BB37.jpeg

Interesting :) Why not turbo it?

There are many reasons. First is because I have a turbo right now and I hardly use the extra power. And I also know about all the extra things that can go wrong with them. And the extra weight that comes with It. Mostly cause this sled is a experiment I want to see how the nytro motor will handle in the Polaris chassis. Another reason is my wife is in need of a newer sled with electric start so stock power will be fine. If this sled turns out as great as I am hoping, I want to make another one in the Polaris pro chassis for myself and use the turbo nytro sled I have right now as the donor.

Spoke to some guys in Finland who put a nytro engine in the pro chassis. They said because of the added weight up front it handled very smoothly and not like a motorcycle ready to flip over anytime.
They didn't reinforce anything but I think they turbo'd it. Not sure what the difference is between your chassis and the pro. Without too much reinforcing I think you'll lose weight on both builds. Good luck!

Norse thanks for the reply just the kind of feedback I’m hoping for. I am going to set the motor as back and as low as possible to help it be stable and predictable. Unlike the nytro which is hard to get over but once it does your not getting it back. As for weight I’m not that concerned on this build as the dragon chassis is about 40 lbs heavier than the pro anyway. But they say the chassis is very similar except for the rear suspension. Which I will be modifying to be like the pro. The only reinforcing I am doing is around the chaincase area as that is a common buckle point on Polaris’s anyway. And I need to mount the nytro chaincase to something.

I still don't get it, but admire your determination and work ethic.
It's too bad Yamaha didn't do better with the chassis right from the get-go back in 2003.

First up do the easy thing first mount the Speedo and temp gauge. Cut out old Speedo hole bigger, and cut nytro speedo into some black puckboard. Looks clean and room for more gauges down the road if needed.

203885A3-45E0-4E48-9F1E-170662BB3010.jpeg

Next is the handlebars. The nytro controls fit well on the Polaris Bars And even room for the gold finger, which is a must on my turbo tank. Also installed key and plugged pull cord hole, won’t need that no more.

C7237E47-E087-418F-9440-F127C2C9E1E4.jpeg

2868669B-B295-44EB-BD04-1187DC9F3666.jpeg
5A0E145F-1A86-4099-982B-1CA55C463C1F.jpeg

Time to work on the rear suspension. It has a spring suspension and I am going to upgrade it to the pro shock suspension. For the time being to save some money as I have a shock that will fit I fabricated a lower and upper rear shock mount, it seems like it will work as needed I cycled it thru full motion and it does not bind. down the road if it is not good I will buy a used rear arm and lower shock mount. but for now I will give it a try.

Back