• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

YXZ at Haydays

I am impressed and it definitely changes the market. One thing that scares me is the price tag but you gotta pay to play! Other thing I wish is that they had a paddle shifter option for the steering wheel so you didn't have to take a hand off the wheel to shift if you are doing high speed or advanced moves. Maybe a fully auto version for people that want to leisure ride or don't know how manual trans work or do not want to be bothered shifting.

The optional Rekluse auto clutch will work pretty well for the guys that want more of an automatic transmission. You still have to shift with the Rekluse, but you should be able to stop in almost any gear without engaging the clutch and the motor will not stall. You should also be able to start from a dead stop without using the clutch in most gears (I would think 1st and 2nd for sure).

Funny story ... When Yamaha revealed the YXZ on Sept 1, I sent my 10-year old son a link to the website (because he had reminded me of the reveal as I was heading off to work that morning) through my wife's email address and asked her to let our son see it when he got home from school. My son replied back later that afternoon "Thanks Dad. Mom says she thinks it's ugly, and that if you buy one she's leaving." Knowing that the reply came through my wife's email address and that she would see my reply to that remark, I wrote back "I'm gonna miss her". Shortly thereafter, I got a reply saying "Your nose is growing" to which I again wrote back "Sorry honey, but you walked right into that one".

Personally, I kind of agree with my wife on the looks. I do think it almost looks better without its plastics, which seemed a little on the flimsy side. But I hope that the aftermarket will come up with some things to improve that. I also have the same comment for some of the chassis' structural members. As for the transmission, I think it's a huge plus over a belt driven SxS and I'm glad Yamaha went in that direction. Time will tell how the transmission holds up, but the motor and transmission combo seems pretty stout to me and other than clutch plate wear, it should be reliable. Although it doesn't look easy to access that transmission for maintenance. Lots of plastics covering everything up.

I am kinda concerned about all the plumbing and hoses being really exposed in the rear wheel wells. Saw some really poor welds and frame wasn't even side to side in back of the Turbo one. I guess having owned Raptor and YFZ I really like the look of it. Can't wait o drive one. Dealer says October!

I am kinda concerned about all the plumbing and hoses being really exposed in the rear wheel wells. Saw some really poor welds and frame wasn't even side to side in back of the Turbo one. I guess having owned Raptor and YFZ I really like the look of it. Can't wait o drive one. Dealer says October!

The units that were on display were all proto-type pre production units. I think the Blue one that was at Yamaha tent was the closest to production but still a pre-pro.

Back