• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 Vector - steel rear skid shock

Groomerdriver

TY 4 Stroke Master
Took it out to take measurements. THe shock will compress and expand kinda easy. When you compress it all the way in, it will not expand out on it's own. Is this normal or do I have a bad shock?

Sled's going to the dealer tomorrow anyway...lost a FR outer idler wheel on my last trip.

Same as Thumbs up stated. That is normal operation for that style of shock. This is not a junk shock. I find this shock to be about perfect for a trail cruiser and that is what this was intended for. I would like to see a little less rebound to the shock, but when dialed in correctly this thing works. Thank you Yamaha!

Undecided - are your studs tightened fully? Buy the picture they look like they are not fully seated.

Oak Hill said:
Same as Thumbs up stated. That is normal operation for that style of shock. This is not a junk shock. I find this shock to be about perfect for a trail cruiser and that is what this was intended for. I would like to see a little less rebound to the shock, but when dialed in correctly this thing works. Thank you Yamaha!

Undecided - are your studs tightened fully? Buy the picture they look like they are not fully seated.

I've got others telling me that if this is a gas shock, it should rebound on it's own. As to the studs, dealer #1 put them in. I was kinda wondering if they were seated all the way myself! Am taking sled to a different dealer (same ownership as dealer #1 I bought the sled from) who is into shocks. He wants to go thru my sled. I'll have him go thru the studs.

Oak - u talkin about the front or rear track shock? you cant "dial in" the rear, and thats the one I'm talking about

Undecided - I am talking about the rear shock (No adjustment). I am saying the total set up rocks when set up properly. I believe the rear shock to be a gas bag shock, it will not return by itself once compressed. A high pressure gas shock will return on its own when compressed. I tryed an Ohlins rear shock and let me tell you. If you think it rides harsh now, put on an ohlins and it will feel like there is no suspension at all, very stiff. :Rockon:

The stock rear delivers a cushy ride, especally over stutter bumps. But once you get it into big whoops, G-outs, or just aggressive riding on a bumpy trail it bottoms out like crazy. It also lacks rebound damping when pushed and reminded me of the old term Yamahahop.

I will be replacing it soon, just not sure with what. The rear shcom is definitly the weak link in the Vector suspension package. The other three shocks are soft, but managable.

Rockrider - if you stand while running the real rough stuff, the sled will just glide over them and not bottom. For trail cruising and small whoops this shock works excellent. If you are very aggressive and hit the rough trails and do not stand you will bottom out. Ohlins would be the shock for you. :exc: :yam:

You said it perfect that the shock is good for trail cruising and small whoops. For ditch banging, and aggressive riding, it lacks the valving to keep the skid from crashing through its travel. I always stand when I'm riding hard through the bumps and with the stock suspension, if you don't you'll probably rupture a disc.

That said, the Vector is a trail sled and the reason I bought it is because I got an excellent deal because it was a left over and the fact that the Nytro is simply a Vector with a taller seat, better shocks, gearing, clutching and a riser. When I'm done with my Vector it will be rider forward like an Apex and have better shocks than the Nytro.

Oak Hill said:

Oakhill - could you please list all the sleds you've owned??? Just curious.

Undecided as you requested, here is a list of all the sleds i have owned:

1. 1973 Polaris Colt SS
2. 1979 John Deere Spit Fire
3. 1989 Phazer
4. 1990 Ski-Doo 2 up
5. 1995 Ski-Doo MX
6. 1995 Ski-Doo MXZ 440
7. 1996 Ski-Doo Formula SL
8. 1996 Ski-Doo MXZ 583
9. 1997 Ski-Doo Formula Z 500
10. 1997 Ski-Doo MXZ 600
11. 1999 Ski-Doo MXZ600
12. 2000 Ski-Doo Formula 600
13. 2000 Ski-Doo MXZ 700
14. 2001 Phazer Deluxe
15. 2005 Vector ER

As you can see, I had a history with Ski-Doo and now I will stay with Yamaha. The Best Sleds I have ever owned and riden! :yam:

undecided said:
Took it out to take measurements. THe shock will compress and expand kinda easy. When you compress it all the way in, it will not expand out on it's own. Is this normal or do I have a bad shock?
A "good" shock should return to the fully extended position by itself if you compress it.

Oak Hill said:
novarossi - a high pressure gas shock will. This is not a High Pressure gas shock. I believe it to be a gas bag shock! Does anyone know? :exc:

dealer had the skid out and said its a regular hydraulic shock.....pretty much what one could buy from Dennis Kirk for $25. Thank you Yamaha!

Center shock has been revalved a little softer and front shocks have been revalved too - way too stiff on compression he said. (will get revalve details tomorrow) again..Thank you Yamaha!

Now I'll be starting over and hoping I wont need heavier front springs to counteract the revalve, and hope that he got the center revalve right, otherwise it's another $40 (per shock revalve cost) + labor down the tubes.

Oak Hill said:
Undecided as you requested, here is a list of all the sleds i have owned:

1. 1973 Polaris Colt SS
2. 1979 John Deere Spit Fire
3. 1989 Phazer
4. 1990 Ski-Doo 2 up
5. 1995 Ski-Doo MX
6. 1995 Ski-Doo MXZ 440
7. 1996 Ski-Doo Formula SL
8. 1996 Ski-Doo MXZ 583
9. 1997 Ski-Doo Formula Z 500
10. 1997 Ski-Doo MXZ 600
11. 1999 Ski-Doo MXZ600
12. 2000 Ski-Doo Formula 600
13. 2000 Ski-Doo MXZ 700
14. 2001 Phazer Deluxe
15. 2005 Vector ER

As you can see, I had a history with Ski-Doo and now I will stay with Yamaha. The Best Sleds I have ever owned and riden! :yam:

I'll just say it......no wonder you think this is a good trail riding sled....you've never owned one IMO!

Blast away!!!

Undecided - I do not know what I said or did to you, but you sure are a negative person looking for a fight. Do not knock what other people have bought and riden in the past. Those sleds that I paid hard cash for where great sleds at thier time and some of them still are. The Vector I ride to date is the best riding sled that I have owned. I am sorry that you feel your sled rides to harsh and is a disappointment to you. To most every Vector owner on here, this is a great sled. I would recommend that you sell your Vector and buy another sled. Life is to short. Wish you luck! :o| :o| :o| :ORC

Back