• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 lineup !!!

I wll say I think yami's line up is fine other than a big hp touring sled and maybe a lighter higher hp apex although itis hard to argue with the way an apex works.. I am not sure what yami could have built to keep me fron switching, I guess if they would have had a tricked out xtx I may have bought one. I didn't care for the graphics at all and the rear suspension I feel is an old design that wouldn't work as good as my 136 nyto.I also think a true x-over should have wider ski's and a bigger fuel tank. I really tried to like tell myself I would keep my rtx but once I saw the Assault I just had to have it.

Well for me the shock package and the fact its a 146, I think it is a TRUE crossover sled, trailable and able to go out to cooke city and play on the hills. I also wanted more power and my buddies dragon runs damn hard and gets decent mileage.

I don't know but after all the problems i had with the fusion and switchback 900's polaris is gonna have one heck of a sled before i switch back. If you ask me the Assault is the same piece of junk sled with a new motor that will most likely be discontinued in 2010. lol

Daranello said:
SumpBuster said:
Saw a tv show sledtrax or something where the turbo cat 170 hp did 105 on ideal conditions on radar? Big whup.

Far from ideal conditions, the were on a soft packed trail and no other sled top 100mph......it 6mph faster than the F1000.......its going to be fast, and give them credit for sticking a turbo in before yamaha :die
Ok..not perfect conditions. But when they design and build their own 4 strokes, and get some consistent quality, I'll give them credit...lol.

Cory, I took the 3 year warranty, but I don't think the chassis has ever been the problem and the 800 in a friends dragon runs great. I hope they do only make the assault one year so I don't see them everywhere I go.

for me the assualt w/146 with a suspension that can handle rough hard trail riding and be a good boondocking sled with a great shock package and under or close to 500lbs. it just so happens this year poo put one out. like i said i will not buy a sled this year, but that got my attention. dont take it personally if someone doesnt like what you ride. I tried the apex but it wasnt for me, i had the warrior when it came out and i put 30miles on it and sold, they both are very nose heavy IMO. i have 2 vipers now that are bullet proof. one has 136 expert x with 1.5 camo that does well boondocking and on the trails. Nothing from yamaha (havent ridden the xtx) that i have tried fits what i want. i want to try the xtx in a bad way to see how that will do for me. it needs a deeper lug track right off the back with wider better skis and a taller riser. the assualt fits good as is, thats what makes appealling to me for now.

SB
"Ok..not perfect conditions. But when they design and build their own 4 strokes, and get some consistent quality, I'll give them credit...lol."

Um Suzuki builds the 4 strokes for AC... And Suzuki builds the HAYABUSA.. I think that Suzuki is the only motor maker of the 3 that could give Yamaha any trouble in 4 strokes... but only if AC lets them. And if they did let them I think the remaining 2 brands would be completely out classed in 4 strokes. JMO

Ok, I realize that...Suzuki builds great stuff. Although when Cat went from Kawasaki in the 70's to Suzuki, it seemed a step backwards in power. Not to get booted or bash cats, I just wanted to pat Yammy on the back for designing and building the entire machines. Now if a sled said Suzuki on the hood..no problem. Cat used industrial truck motors..the 660, and adapted for snowmobiling, so the whole effort to me pales in comparison to what Yamaha designs and builds. Put a big motor on a toboggan will probably go pretty fast..LOL.
I'd like Yammy to always be percieved to be a step ahead, but in no way does my 06 Apex feel outdated. I think they spend a lot of time 'thinking' and designing future products. I don't want them to rush anything because some of us will jump ship if they are not the fastest 4 stroke. On the other hand, I also won't pay 12000 for an updated 06 Apex either. So to get new money, it needs to be a significant step up. I don't see any significant step ups, four stroke wise, from the competitors. Yet.

dirkdiggler said:
The one thing I'll say is in 2002 Yamaha released the Viper which in it's day was today's Nytro and in 2003 they released the RX-1. I would have loved to have seen a Replacement for the apex and I would have bought one!!

If Yamaha had released a replacement for the Apex in 2009 I would have bought it, my plans were set to buy that sled in 2009, it didn't surface.

OK - I did buy the 2008 Apex RTX today !!! No need to wait until next year for bold new graphics, one click less on the hand warmer adjustability and a 9.4 gallon tank. The graphics on the '08 are just as nice IMO, and I like the 10 gallon fuel capacity :) As far as I can see, everything else is just the same between the '08 and '09 Apex RTX. I'm happy with it :)

SharkAttak said:
well at least we have another year to chat and hope for a 2010 rocket

If you want a rocket - GO TURBO APEX - no need to hope and wait for next year. Get it today! I did buy a '08 Apex RTX today for my next rocket science project LOL :)

SumpBuster said:
Cat used industrial truck motors..the 660, and adapted for snowmobiling,

Wrong the 660 is a motor out of a Suzuki car. In Europe it was a more high strung motor, it was detuned for sleds same as Yami detuned the bike motor which was adapted to snowmobiles.

Truck motor! Who started that rumor? Doesn't matter its not in use in 09.

Deadman said:
I'll be ordering my FIRST Yamaha this year, and I am VERY GLAD that they didn't change much, because now I know I have a proven design! :)

Very good point !!! :)

Back