• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Nytro Front End+ Rebuild

Winding in my rebuild plans as my trip overseas is 27SEP... starting to see many are coming out of their summer slumber and thinking sleds again! Good to see... one of my last items is bar location, checking out the PowerMadd and OFT sites for steering relocation solutions and appears there are several options. I want to gain more foot well space (maybe 2") so want to move the bars up and back a few inches but not looking for a 5" vertical rise only for powder riding (we don't get that here in the East!)... anyone installed a PowerMadd pivot / riser block? Seems like it only adds an incremental 1.25" rise but with a 2" or 4" block on top might give me what I am looking for without cable issue; combination is $65 (pivot) and $50 (4" block)... looking for real world user experience and comments.

PowerMadd 4.25 Riser Blocks.jpg PowerMadd Pivot Adapter.jpg

6' or just over with boots, just my initial reaction first ride on Nytro, last ride of the year was the urge to push my toes further forward under me. At first I thought there was snow in there so thinking bringing bars back 1" and up 3" or so might be ideal. The OFT suggests 5" forward and up so might be opposite of what I want. The PowerMadd pivot might give me adjustments I want... have not seen anyone here post of the PowerMadd installation.

Last edited:
It's a couple of years since I ordered my HID's from DDM but I don't remember them being that much. I also ordered the 35w kit, can't imagine needing anything brighter.

You are correct radianguy, the base DDM kit is $35 plus the $20 for the HI/LO option so $55 + shipping would be the least expensive version, maybe what you purchased? If you upgrade the base to the middle (better bulbs) it is $59 plus $20 for the HI/LO option so $79 + shipping total. Grizz also suggested a shorter "patch cable w/ relays" from another vendor which was $30 shipped instead of the DDM auto designed relay / harness which means we have to hide a bunch of extra harness so you are at $109 + shipping. Once you get over $100 you are now into the price range of Rockmeister's HID kit designed for our sleds with a low current draw ballast (1.5A vs. 3A for the DDM) to save our stators, no relays required, and a special bulb design that eliminates the black "line" issue between HI/LO that you get with the DDM kits due to our light reflectors not being designed for HID bulbs; Grizz pointed this out in his HID post which he reduced by adjusting the bulb shields (not all would want to tackle that project). Bottom line, I am learning more about Rockmeister's HID solution (same vendor as the Yamaheater) now; I prefer to buy USA vs. an import if possible and support a fellow sledneck in the process!

Just off the phone with Brad Roux at PowerMadd... super helpful on riser options. Appears the UNIVERSAL PIVOT OPTION gives me the best of both worlds, mounts on stock steering post, gives me a pivot there to come up and back a little as I want with a 3" rise. If I want another 1", 2" or 3" of rise, they sell a block for this base. I understand we max out at 4" total additional rise without dealing with longer throttle and brake lines.

For $80 appears to get me out of the gate with future options. I also looked at the OFT steering post relocate kit which gives me 5" of rise and forward placement but then I have to add the same type of pivot / block if i want to go any higher and you are locked into the steering position with only the ability to rotate the bars forward or aft. I doubt I would want to go above 5" as I am not in the mountains off trail out here in the East.

Does anyone have experience with this PowerMadd kit?

PowerMadd Universal Pivot Riser 3 Inch.jpg

Just off the phone with Brad Roux at PowerMadd... super helpful on riser options. Appears the UNIVERSAL PIVOT OPTION gives me the best of both worlds, mounts on stock steering post, gives me a pivot there to come up and back a little as I want with a 3" rise. If I want another 1", 2" or 3" of rise, they sell a block for this base. I understand we max out at 4" total additional rise without dealing with longer throttle and brake lines.

For $80 appears to get me out of the gate with future options. I also looked at the OFT steering post relocate kit which gives me 5" of rise and forward placement but then I have to add the same type of pivot / block if i want to go any higher and you are locked into the steering position with only the ability to rotate the bars forward or aft. I doubt I would want to go above 5" as I am not in the mountains off trail out here in the East.

Does anyone have experience with this PowerMadd kit?

View attachment 130397

I have something like that on my Nytro but it was a Lake Effect product, but I am not sure they are making them any longer.

Mr, how do you like the idea of a dual pivot riser vs. the OFT style "rise". My main concern with the dual pivot is the "sway" left and right claimed by the double pivot riser solution. Not sure I really care but seems like the PowerMadd is the game in town. I found the Lake Effect URL after reading thread #432 or around there and they appear to be out of business... a shame, I love to see passion drive a business. Leaning towards trying the PowerMadd, found for $57 on Amazon with free shipping, why not!

Pulled the trigger, PowerMadd pivot riser on the way... if I want more rise I can add the 1" or 2" block for less than $30 and still put the stock plastic cover on the top! Lots to explore during the first snow.

The stock Nytro steering post angle sucks for all models. It is too swept back. Why Yamaha never corrected this at some point is beyond me. It was one of the changes they made going from the RX1 to the Apex chassis. The OFT steering relocate improves the angle greatly. Trying to achieve the same effect with a pivot riser makes for a funky sweep of the bars.

Interesting, thanks for comment, what some have reported on 6" MTX style rises, hoping less on 3"... I will post my impression of the "sweep"... Lots of tweaks I am learning on these Nytros!

Back from North Africa (90-95+ F last three weeks... but still thinking about snow). Installed the PowerMadd system for the bars: 3" pivot riser, sentinel guards, snow mounts, sentinel mirrors. All items worked well, some adjustments on the left guard mount to miss all the stock items including: brake lever when activated, brake lever mount casting (see pic), plastic bezel for light and brake buttons.

4s.jpg 5s.jpg 6s.jpg 7s.jpg 32s.jpg 33s.jpg 38s.jpg 38s.jpg

Here are some more pics of the 3" PowerMadd post setup. The directions suggest you can keep the stock base plate under your bars and remount it on top of the PowerMadd. This did not work as the lower pivot of the PowerMadd, which as you can see in the pic is essentially a short section of handle bar, was not machined so its "buldge" would fit into the stock lower mount's recession. The Yamaha base seemed to be complicated in this area for some reason (see pic). I took a few extra pics showing how these parts done fit together. Also the stock lower clamp has a key on the bottom right edge that was missing in the PowerMadd top mount so it would not fit flush, hence it is a throw away. Fortunately PowerMadd supplies enough nicely machined, black anodized bar clamps so I used four new on the bottom and two on top and re-used the two silver stock top clamps. The entire setup is solid and strong, adds a bit of a "Z" to your steering "shaft" in profile but does not feel awkward as some talk about the "sway" of the bars feeling different. We will see how it feels on the trail but the 3" rise is fantastic, not overly aped out with the stock seat and great standing position. I did not have to re-route or untie any of the cables but the throttle does get right on a hard right on the bars, when I do the electrical, I will free up some more space with adjusting some zip ties. They say you can add another 1" or 2" riser block on top of this but that would require some cable adjustment but not thinking any extensions.

4s.jpg 3s.jpg 2s.jpg 12s.jpg 10s.jpg 11s.jpg 6s.jpg 9s.jpg 16s.jpg 38s.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with previous postings- you're in for some funky handlebar motions. OFT steering relocate is widely considered a must-have, plus it includes oil lite bearings for the steering shaft. I can tell you from having the relocator and 2" lake effect riser the positioning and steering motion is excellent.

I wonder how many readers' sleds look exactly like your last picture right now...

Back