• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Nytro Front End+ Rebuild

That is my fear too but it was half price on amazon so figured worth trying... it didn't feel that strange but until on the snow hard to say, I will likely relax the angle a bit from the max vertical position I set above so it is more in-line with the shaft, plan to add the OFT at some point and then put the PowerMadd on top to fine tune final bar location. I actually want the bar a little further back as the cockpit seems a bit tight like I am up on the tank, boots jammed into the footwells... will report back once on the snow, I do like the standing position, much better.

The "L" slot in the Yamaha clamp half made it easy to unstow the handlebar assembly once it was taken out of the shipping crate. There was a nub on the OEM handle bar assembly that allowed for quicker assembly. The nub, which essentially was a tall rivet, could be broken off if you wanted the bars to be positioned differently than factory settings.

Interesting insights Mountain... thanks.

Skis are on! Interesting how biased they are tips up with the Bergstrom shims and reversing the rubbers. Claim is this moves the touch point back to where it belongs under the spindles vs. forward as in the stock configuration. I have some more close ups of the rubber under compression I'll post tomorrow.

5s.jpg 8s.jpg

Your thread has helped me so much.. I really appreciate your insight, honesty and weighing price vs performance.. I have everything I need order from Travis(barn of parts) two more payments and I’ll be doing the same thing. You have made me really consider a ski change. Would it be ok if I sent you a PM to bounce some questions off you? I also ride in NY.. cherry creek mostly. We are in artic cat territory up there.. they will appreciate our sleds power when we are towing them!

Exciter, thanks, I am glad my info has helped. I am trying to put extra pics up too as often people assume everyone knows what they are talking about. I am happy how things are coming out, on my list for future is the MountainTech A-arms and full skid plate, but for now I will add them down the road as the upper bearings will be shot in a few years and everything else is required with either arms, I may squeak in the full skid plate, lets see how the next quarter goes! By all means, PM me as well.

Sweet build. I need to do the same with the 08' I picked up the end of last season. However shoulder surgery is going to delay my build and have me skipping the upcoming season unfortunately. What ball joints did you go with? G.B.

Thanks, winding it in now... I went with all 2013 front end parts, the three piece ball joint vs. the 2009 era one piece. Many of the parts cross referenced up to the 2013 but for some reason not the ball joints. The 2013 version allows you to replace just the worn top / bottom bushing for $7 vs. the entire $68 ball joint. Sorry to hear you are out for the season...

Schrade survival hatchet (PN: SCAXE2) arrived today, 12" long, integrated fire starter in handle, great blade, highly recommend it. This mounts under my exhaust across the tunnel with blade pointing under the rack, two ratchets hold it tight. Also balance of detail pics from last night's ski mounting. Note how when you press the skis down into an on snow position they compress the rear of the rubber against the spindle. This is due to the Bergstrom 3/8" shim under the rubber after you reverse it. In stock rubber configuration, the skis hang slightly tip down, as you see in the pic yesterday, they now sit tips up and take some pressure to bring down to parallel... will be interesting how they feel on the trail.

14s.jpg 9s.jpg 10s.jpg 11s.jpg 12s.jpg

Thanks, winding it in now... I went with all 2013 front end parts, the three piece ball joint vs. the 2009 era one piece. Many of the parts cross referenced up to the 2013 but for some reason not the ball joints. The 2013 version allows you to replace just the worn top / bottom bushing for $7 vs. the entire $68 ball joint. Sorry to hear you are out for the season...

Thanks. Need to get the shoulder fixed so I can live to ride another day :) Thanks for the tip on the ball joints. I will have plenty of time to research 2013 parts before I pull my subframe in the Spring. I have a set of SPI ball joints I had bought for my Phazer but since I am selling the Phazer I kept them for the Nytro. Maybe I will rethink this plan?

Enjoy your new front end this season!

Thanks G.B.

Just ordered a few odds and ends from Schmidt Bros Motorsports. Chris is super knowledgeable about our Nytros... great back story about how they got started too. I am going to confirm when my clutch was last rebuilt as a clutch rebuild may be an unexpected must do this season. For now, picked up the outer tie rod bolt, tunnel block off kit and cold air intake.

SB Cool Air Intake.jpg SB Outer Tie Rod Bolt.jpg SB Tunnel Closer.jpg

What are you using for bushings between the Ski and spindle? I just got a 09 nytro and am replacing the front end stuff as well. I really like the powder coated A arms you did, looks great.

Thanks GT, I hope my rebuild gives you some ideas. Many options, one of my goals was to keep things in budget so had to be selective and spend where it matters most. The black powder coating was $100 total including bumpers, worth every penny, the black look works on Nytros, IMO. I put oil lite bushings inside the spindle for new stock 2013 axles, black through bolts, inner and outer bushings, washers, nuts and cotter pins. As posted in this thread, all new front end parts, tuners and the full Bergstrom skegs, shims, ski savers. I also bought Schmidt Brothers outer tie rod bolts and steering bushing to really take all the play out of the front end (not installed yet) and already super tight. Look forward to wrapping up tunnel block off, clutch, skid lube & wheel bearings, HIDs, LEDs and to finally testing on some snow...

Last edited:
That's going to be a great setup for you! Thanks for the response and I look forward to following more of your build.

Back