• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 AK sled build

Wow that is an amazing build and I agree is a work of Art. You guys are doing amazing work

Here we need snow. BAD so I have the time to read this whole thread and was impressed

7 am last night but we got a lot done! Only 5 more days to get it done and I still have 2 of mind to get done. :exc:

The turbo kit is mostly done so I brought everything back to my house tonight from Ricks so I could get some stuff done Sunday while he rides. I should have quite a few more pictures tomorrow.

Boost controller.
IMG_4090.jpg

Turbo oil reservoir.
IMG_4085.jpg

Charge tube. Both tubes together only weigh 2.3 lbs
IMG_4081.jpg

I swapped the springs on my Ohlins. The factory springs are 4 lbs 3 oz. for both. The HCR Ti. springs are 2 lbs 10 oz. for both for a loss of 1 lb 9 oz. Both shocks together as pictured weigh 8 lbs 12 ounces. Regular Floats would save a couple more pounds but that will never happen.
IMG_4074.jpg

When I bought my bulkhead sides, the chaincase side had a crack in it I needed to deal with. I stop drilled it but wasn't comfortable leaving it that way so today I cut a small reinforcement out of 3/16" aluminum and beveled the back edge to match the radius near the edge of the chaincase. Laid some structural epoxy down first and then riveted and screwed the brace. Should be good to go now.
IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

The factory doesn't weld all the way around where the large lower tubes meet the stamped metal bracket so I added what I could.
IMG_4113.jpg

Added the spring tab for the charge tube.
IMG_4121.jpg

Added two additional mounting points for my skidplate which will be 1/8" aluminum.
IMG_4135.jpg

Got the .040 front plate cut and welded on.
IMG_4104.jpg

And finally some paint. I used Rustoleum Industrial semi gloss. We'll see how well it holds up but I've seen it used on job sites and it appears to be fairly durable.
IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

Picking up some hardware Monday then it gets put back together for good and back to Ricks to finish the steering and turbo.

Don't worry, It was finished with sand paper, then a scotch brite pad. At 1 Am

BE1EB795-7EE8-416A-968E-6ADFC65437C1-1006-0000007C95158B49.jpg

6BBBBCB4-994B-41EF-BBB2-43FD34917F7E-1006-0000007D44171604.jpg

Replaced the jackshaft bearing and seal on the chaincase side. All jackshaft/driveshaft bearings & seals are now new. I also have a new chain and gears and flex joints with copper donuts, and all new a-arm/shock bolts on order. Shouldn't have to touch a thing once it's up and running. Managed to finally get the bulkhead attached to the tunnel today. I also cleaned the motor up and got it installed along with the subframe, I just have to pick up the proper bolts for the steering hoop sleeves. I'm hoping Tuesday I can finish my cooling and the charge tube along with a couple small skid parts so I can get the suspension, track, & drivetrain in. Anyway, here's a few pics.
IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4158.jpg

So now I figured out how you guys stay awake to the wee hours of the morning. Whenever you get tired, you just hit the eliptical trainer for a while and you're good again:)

I'm so impressed with how this is turning out ... your subframe design is the icing on the cake! The sled (what's been put together so far) looks very light. Any guess as to the weight? Also, it looks like you and Rick have come up with a plan for the steering ... can hardly wait to see what you're going to do there.

Sounds like you guys are planning on taking a road trip ... PLEASE be sure bring the camera (some of us are living vicariously through you this season!). ;)!

Im hoping for less than 440 dry, but it's going to be hard to weigh it that way. I'm thinking full of oil and coolant, and one gallon of gas.

Oil is 7.5 lbs a gallon
50/50 coolant is I think 6.5 lbs a gallon (I doubt I'll use a full gallon)
gallon of gas is 6.2 lbs

I'll shoot for 460 lbs full of fluids except one gallon of gas. If I make that, it will put me around 490ish with a full gas tank.

If you can manage to be at or under 500 lbs wet, ready to ride that will be an impressive accomplishment! Figure that you'll be a little over 100 lbs lighter than a stock MTX, without a turbo. I wonder if you can ditch the stock Yamaha handlebar controls and just go light weight and basic with switches and controls off a race sled?

I haven't ran the Yami controls for a couple years. I've been using a CR throttle block and a couple toggle switches for the hand warmer/thumb warmer and on/off switch, and push button start.

AKrider said:
If you can manage to be at or under 500 lbs wet, ready to ride that will be an impressive accomplishment! Figure that you'll be a little over 100 lbs lighter than a stock MTX, without a turbo. I wonder if you can ditch the stock Yamaha handlebar controls and just go light weight and basic with switches and controls off a race sled?

We have been doing switch controls for years, stock stuff is crap.

And for all followers of this thread, Caleb's next post won't be until his sled is done and he is officially riding. So stay tuned, it won't be long.

Back