• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 AK sled build

I believe that you are writing to me, and i think you have misunderstod whos building this.
i dont even own a sled right now i am just researching a planning a mod sled, English is not my native language so i may have wrote something that made you and maybe others to belive it ? in that case i am sorry.
when it comes to geometry it wont be changed from stock when it comes to angles and travel.

207nytro said:
Judging by other things I have seen done to your sled, you seem worried about weight. Which is most likely why you are wanting to use smaller tubes for your a-arms. Instead of messing with geometry have you thought of just using ways to strengthen the side the shock mounts to by putting some sort of crossmember from where the shock mounts to the other side, similar to the one on the top arm.

HYFLYR wrote said:
I think it would be more of an issue and also decrease the handling of the sled by mounting the shocks further forward on top. By increasing the angle of the shock and the rate to which it transfers energy to the chassis is very important and what I belive was a major drawback from the factory. With vertical shocks it would send the force directly to the other side of the sled, not allowing the any force to be tranfered through the rest of the sled. In a sidehill for instance, it would pitch the sled back against the force you were applying to hold that sidehill. With a raked out front end, it allowed the shock angle to direct its force into the chassis, not across it.

Yes it means you have to run sphearical bearings or angle the shock tabs, however that one drawback far exceeds a vertical shock angle. I think skinz nailed it with their design, moving the skis forward and also changing shock angle, I have said from day one when the nytro came out that was one of the biggest flaws was their front geometry, in shcok angle and spindle.

Call me crazy but thats where my head is at.

This is the best reasoning I've heard for leaving the shock mount and a-arm locations alone.

Jealousy's a bad look for you Caleb ;)!

2012-09-10_11-20-13_113.jpg

It's supposedly a custom College project. It comes with everything needed jack/drive shaft, mounting plate, 2 belts (standard Gates product), 3 upper pulleys, 1 lower, bearings and Brake. So it should be everything I need to make it work on the tubie. It was really cheap, that's the only way I would want to try a belt. So we'll see

Caleb:

I guy just mentions "belt drive" on the MTN Nytro forum and look what happens.

Good luck with the install Rick and yes I am jealous...

OTM

rlcofmn said:
Jealousy's a bad look for you Caleb ;)!

2012-09-10_11-20-13_113.jpg

You're one step closer to a pro...I have a spare chassis if you want to pull some measurements and change your iqr tubie into a pro tubie... :D

Oooo god I can't believe you found a belt drive system! :Rockon: I looked for one all last year. I am very green with envy.

If you blow the belt I'm a Gates Polychain Belt Distributor and can get you the belt cheaper. It might just take a week or two to get it there!

DGZRT

I Heard the Anchorage area was recently hit with some very strong storms. The weather report said that wind speeds were as high as 110 mph. Hope you guys are okay.

Back