• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im considering a Sidewinder mtx (2018). I run two sleds and only want one brand, and if I get a Sidewinder it's because my next sled would then be a new 2020 and hoping it's a 2stroke from yamaha.. With Textron at the helm of Arctic there's that or dying from Yamaha..

They are much over due for a new chassis. They have been running the same chassis since 2014(2012 for cat). Time to bring something new to the table. My only concern about that though is cat developed the new skid (alpha) so why would they change everything a year after they bring this to the market UNLESS Yamaha releases their OWN chassis. I guess we will have to wait an see. Now if Yamaha just took a Cat 2 stroke and made it blue and put different stickers on it I was say Yamaha is lazy and are just trying to please people the cheapest way possible. I see 2 options that would be acceptable, either they come out with their own 2 stroke and put it in the current chassis or either they put a Cat 2 stroke in a new Yamaha chassis. Either of these options would please me.

So basically you are questioning the Polaris 850, Cat 800, Ski Doo 850 and new SD 600R. Only Yamaha has it right. The customers are not saying that with their purchases.

You missed the most important point in that statement, Doo is a market leader, and will be catering to the customers they already have by releasing new engines to stay ahead of the comptetition. Yamaha pulled out of two strokes. So the costs to start over outweigh the potential gain by trying to earn market share back.

That's the only reason Cat and Polaris have been able to pull it off. And Arctic Cat is not the most financially stable company in the world. They are in much batter shape with the backing of Textron now. But you can bet they were questioning why they would put so much R&D into a single purpose engine.

BRP/Rotax at least uses Etec technology in more than just snowmobiles. Not exact engines per se, but the research and development is used across all ETEC's. Their motors are tops in the two stroke outboard business. And their market share gives them the ability to keep developing two stroke. Not to mention that Ace platform is MONEY! People bitch about them dropping the 1200. But the business model dictated that it was smarter business to standardize on the ACE and use it all over, then to keep that 1200 alive. BTW, have you seen the new Scarab boat for 2019 with twin 300hp ACE engines in it!! WOOT!

Chris Reid said this years ago, Yamaha will not develop a new engine that they can only use in one platform. So the statement above about any potential new Yamaha Chassis with a 2-Stroke may be an AC CTEC engine is probably closer to truth than anyone here cares to admit.

This is all fine but what happens if the four stroke market declines and the number of engines they sell goes down? Then what? They have nothing to back it up. That's why if they built a 2 stroke then atleast it would keep people with them and not turn them to other brands such as Arctic Cat unless Yamaha gets a percentage of every Cat 4 stroke sold but I bet that doesn't happen.

Yamaha can build all the two strokes it wants but without a sled to put them in its pointless!

They are much over due for a new chassis. They have been running the same chassis since 2014(2012 for cat). Time to bring something new to the table. My only concern about that though is cat developed the new skid (alpha) so why would they change everything a year after they bring this to the market UNLESS Yamaha releases their OWN chassis. I guess we will have to wait an see. Now if Yamaha just took a Cat 2 stroke and made it blue and put different stickers on it I was say Yamaha is lazy and are just trying to please people the cheapest way possible. I see 2 options that would be acceptable, either they come out with their own 2 stroke and put it in the current chassis or either they put a Cat 2 stroke in a new Yamaha chassis. Either of these options would please me.

Yamaha is not in charge of Textron or Cat, Textron/Cat will decide if Yamaha can put their engine in the chassis. Its a partnership and they will all decide whether Yamaha engines go into the Chassis to compete against the Cat engine or anything Textron comes up with! So I could see your second choice working out better if Yamaha decides its a sled maker again!

Yamaha is not in charge of Textron or Cat, Textron/Cat will decide if Yamaha can put their engine in the chassis. Its a partnership and they will all decide whether Yamaha engines go into the Chassis to compete against the Cat engine or anything Textron comes up with! So I could see your second choice working out better if Yamaha decides its a sled maker again!
I feel like this partnership is more like a parent and a child. The parent being Cat/Textron and the child is Yamaha. Yamaha really doesn't have a say for anything. If its up to Ca/Textron on which engine they want to put into their chassis then what say does Yamaha have? They have no input on the chassis. All the cards are in Cat/Textron's hands. I'd really like to see what the partnership says because it sure seems Yamaha has zero say in anything and that's usually not how a partnership works. If anything they are more like vendors to each other. Selling each other the part they eed (cat buys the motor and Yamaha buys the chassis).

I feel like this partnership is more like a parent and a child. The parent being Cat/Textron and the child is Yamaha. Yamaha really doesn't have a say for anything. If its up to Ca/Textron on which engine they want to put into their chassis then what say does Yamaha have? They have no input on the chassis. All the cards are in Cat/Textron's hands. I'd really like to see what the partnership says because it sure seems Yamaha has zero say in anything and that's usually not how a partnership works. If anything they are more like vendors to each other. Selling each other the part they eed (cat buys the motor and Yamaha buys the chassis).

I'm agreement with all of this, especially on who has any say. As that statement has changed since the textron buy out. Keep in mind, before Textron, Yamaha was bringing something to the table that AC didn't have. Now with Textron, what are the chances that AC develops a new chassis (which they are overdue on) that is designed around a Yamaha 4-stroke and Cat 2-stroke. Or designs a new chassis around a cat 2-stroke and a Textron/Weber 4-stroke?

That answer seems way too obvious. Textron will honor the partnership, if it still exists around the time of a new chassis release. If I had to guess based on the info above, you will see a new chassis, that houses an engine similar to what will be used in the Textron off road division. The partnership has to exist a while longer, as they are only 2 years into the new Wildcat XX platform and the Thundercat/9000 platform. Weber has nothing to compete with the 998/998T. That doesn't mean a weber couldn't replace the 1049 easily.

We will see. Business economics say, internally or sister-company produced engines make more sense.

Maybe this is the new deal between Textron and Yamaha. Yamaha builds its own chassis because they don't have one. In the future they put Cat 2 strokes in their sleds for their 2 stroke option and Cat uses Yamaha's for their 4 stroke option. In the future it would be just an engine partnership. This would work for Yamaha to get into the 2 stroke market. It would work for Cat having Yamaha 4 strokes! Both companies need new chassis! So for both companies they can spend their R&D money on chassis development! I think this would really work!

At Haydays I spoke to a Arctic Cat engineer. Asked him if the relationship with Arctic Cat will exist in 2020. He said he was not in a position to say. What he did say was that he was very excited about what he was working on and if the relationship exists in the future Yamaha customers would benefit. I tried to get a release date out of him but he would not say. I am thinking that what he is working on will not be released for 2020 model year.

The alpha skid will be in a trail sled...…...

At Haydays I spoke to a Arctic Cat engineer. Asked him if the relationship with Arctic Cat will exist in 2020. He said he was not in a position to say. What he did say was that he was very excited about what he was working on and if the relationship exists in the future Yamaha customers would benefit. I tried to get a release date out of him but he would not say. I am thinking that what he is working on will not be released for 2020 model year.

They have been saying Yamaha customers will benefit they are always excited since the beginning so just more buzz words. 2020 will be more of the same but Cat could come out with a new chassis at any time!

Who has been keeping track of the five new sleds that Yamaha said they would produce in the five years after they started the partnership with Arctic Cat? Viper, Sidewinder, ???

I really do believe the cat 2 stroke is an option for Yamaha, in their own chassis! The people I know that have the 600 ctek has had zero problems with them! I think they our a very reliable motor. what have you all heard and think of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back