• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

AD Boivin ZX2 Durability & Performance Log

There is only a slight vibration that I can feel but I don't know if it was there last year. I didn't drive the sled this year before I put the zx2 into it. It could very well be my imagination. I thought it could have been because of my instalation. I had to drop the rear mounting hole to below the running boards so the 1.75" lug track would have clearence. I have ordered the rx1 specific mounting plates and will remove the tunnel protectors for the clearance needed and instal it in the proper position because it makes the sled too top heavy. I drove a buddies 03 rx1 with the zx2 mounted in the proper position and it was a world of difference.

I took another look at my failed shock from last year. I am starting to wonder if the failure was caused by the spring snagging the shock body. Not sure why but the clearance between the shock body and the spring is quite small. When I set my bent spring on the blown shock, you can definitely see some decent rub marks on the spring where the bend starts.

BigDog, do you see rub marks on the inside of your bent spring?

mdkuni: There is a small mark inside bent spring, but could have been a result of broken shaft hitting it. More of a
scrape from the broken end of the shock.

Talked with Boivin yesterday and shocks are on there way back. One new shock and spring, good shock has been taken apart and recharged and new piston bolt. Total approx $720 counting shipping both ways.

I did not expect anything as far as cost. If you want to play you have to pay. But they still say that they never saw this type of thing before. Also said that the people that rebuilt shocks for me this summer did not assemble properly.

Pioneer Perf rebuilt these for me, and why was the other shock fine? Pioneer Perf has rebuilt a bunch of shocks for me over the years w/o a problem.

These shocks had 62 miles since rebuild. I just can't accept that only Boivin knows how to rebuild these magic shocks.

Thinking of putting stock mono back in Vector Gt and selling or parting sled out. Only has 10XX miles. I might just keep this zx2 for parts for the one in the RX1.

I don't think I want to have 2 of these things to worry about and keep having to deal with.

Still have to decide if I want to put more money in this sled for a new track. Shock destroyed an entire row of drive cogs.

Curious to know what Pioneer did not do correctly. $720, that is one hefty bill. You can buy a shock with a spring for $325 (Shock). Something seems off.

If you ever get serious about getting rid of the skid, let me know, I would love to have a second one in the garage.

Couple issues for me recently. I lost my left bolt/wheel for the bottom shock mount shaft. Looks like the bolt backed out and snapped. I got lucky taking it apart. With only one side having a bolt in it, the shaft would normally spin. Since I yanked the skid out after hauling the sled back from a ride, the skid was pretty frozen. Frozen enough that the good bolt backed out without a problem. There was enough of the broken bolt sticking out the other side that I was able to unscrew it without a problem. I usually do not have to worry about the left side bolts, guess I have been a little lazy with checking bolts. I need to make a habit of putting a wrench on them every weekend. I keep spare wheels and one wheel spacer, so all set there. I did have to make one of those thick aluminum washers that AD uses on the outside of the wheels though. I cut down a spare tunnel adapter, and that did the trick.

Another issue I had is, part of the aluminum plate that has the access hole for the shock wrench broke off. A bit over $116 and I am getting two new plates and rivets.

Nytro already went down with a broken exhaust :o|

About 6,000 miles on the current hyfax and 26,300 on the skid!

I know that hygear did my shocks and thought the "anti-bottoming" part of the G force shock was a gimmick and I could remove that. I opted to keep it in place. If that part is not serviced correctly I can now understand why the shock would bend like that if that part is not functioning as it should. Check out the zx2 vid on the ADB site they have a cutaway of the shock. I happen to think its not a gimmick and works quite well.

Bigdog05 I would quit worrying and go play. These skids are around enough to know they are durable. You now have the suspension the way it was designed from ADB; beat on it and have fun.

That is old price. DB-09 Progressive shock $450.00
Dual rate spring - used $40.15
Spring stopper $14.00
shock cover protector $27.52
Labor to rebuild good shock $75.00
Import fees $39.42
USPS shipping to Canada $40.00
Shipping back to Pa. $25.00 = 711.09

I made the mistake of declaring $200 value when I sent shocks to Canada, therefore the Import fees.
I hope you are correct Kinger. Heading to the UP on the 15th of Feb.

Plan on making the Newberry to Paradise to Grande Marais and back to Newberry loop the 16th.

Then on Sunday the 17th we will head to the Keweenaw and get back to Newberry on Friday the 22nd. People that did this bagger trip that I'll be with also hit part of Wisconsin on the loop. They said the bagger trip was approx 1200 miles when they did it.

The ZX2 in the turbo Rx 1 has approx 500-600 mile w/o incident.

I just don't want to be worried about premium gas etc. on such a long trip. The Vector Gt has the Apex seat, like my Rx1 and just seems like the sled to use on this trip.

kinger said:
Slides are only from ADB I haven't been able to locate any that work better then those.

big dog 05 - how did it work on your trip?

I have had great luck with slides from Marshall. Part #sd3083 I have had up to 6,000 miles on a set of those. They will need to be cut to length. Find a dealer here: http://www.marshalldealers.com/

I did try some Kimpex ones this year, but I am not happy with the design. Only tried the Kimpex in an effort to get my parts all from one place. Switching back to Marshall.

kinger: 1499 miles in 7 days of riding. Suspension is fine. Still can't believe that only Boivin can rebuild these shocks. Still think that the bolt that holds the piston to the shaft was weak or defective.

But would recommend sending shocks back to Boivin when they need rebuilt. Also if sending them from the lower 48, declare a value of less than $25 or you will be charged a tariff like I was.

New skid arrived today... Full warrantee and all the up grades.
Last one ADB had....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 136
ghost rider said:
mdkuni said:
ghost rider said:
Last one ADB had....

This is a sad day...

Good looking skid!

That's what my bank account said.....2300.00 all in.

Good news is they said parts will be around for a long time.

yeah, at a premium tho. They increased the price of extensions by 25% already. #feelingburnt

Back