• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Airbox Mod Warning

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Those of you who bent the diverter. Watch for cracking of the divider. The bent diverter doesn't support that divider and it must flex enough to crack. May need metal or I am going to try welding divider in. This is not something you want sucked into motor.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I will definitely check this

I am looking at the odd angle the velocity stack is in your picture and wondering if the divider bend should not be done on an Excell air box mod with velocity stacks. Now I am NOT bashing Excell just sometimes mods do not mix well. Please note our Vipers have been running the bent divider without issue. That being said if any of you are having doubts about bending the diverter do not do it.

1468594_906496966029917_8254434898331527361_n.jpg

Yup velocity stack would be bent more if I hadnt bent that support. Either way the support is needed and won't function if bent.

I also bent my diverted when I did my airbox mod from excell or I wouldn't of been able to get that horn to fit straight. When I put my airbox back together my diverted never even fit back between those two little divider slots. Would the divider really get into the engine though because don't those 2 screws that go on the bottom side of the airbox hold that divider in place.

Last edited:
This is just plastic?? Can you heat it up and then bend it?

Yes, this is just plastic. Just heat it up and bend it.

I'm riping mine apart tonight to check/inspect. Still trying to figure out what that white stuff is. Almost looks like when you superglue plastic....but know Cannondale never glued it.

I think that the issue is that bending this "fin" over is taking away support from the lower part of the box allowing it to flex and crack?

Or is it cracking at the base of the fin that is being heated and bent?

I think that the issue is that bending this "fin" over is taking away support from the lower part of the box allowing it to flex and crack?

Or is it cracking at the base of the fin that is being heated and bent?
You are correct. Fin is a support. That plate is like a reed in a Duck Call otherwise.

I also bent my diverted when I did my airbox mod from excell or I wouldn't of been able to get that horn to fit straight. When I put my airbox back together my diverted never even fit back between those two little divider slots. Would the divider really get into the engine though because don't those 2 screws that go on the bottom side of the airbox hold that divider in place.
Probably not but never know how it will crack. The residue is from plastic rubbing from movement.

So do we have to get a new airbox then to fix this so it doesn't crack? It's going to be a pain to get the airbox out now with the excell snorkel in there.

No but may have to modify. It's only a few reusable rivets holding snorkel on simple to get air box out. Maybe as long as that support is not bent as far as I did mine you will be fine.

No but may have to modify. It's only a few reusable rivets holding snorkel on simple to get air box out. Maybe as long as that support is not bent as far as I did mine you will be fine.

Ya I don't know I bent mine pretty far over! How many miles did you put on the sled with that bent before you noticed it was cracked? I only have put 120 miles on mine since I did this and the excell kit. I will have to pull the sled off the trailer and look into this.

Back