• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another Drive Shaft Question

I've had to shim the rotor as have many of us , they will flop around if not tight against the bearing race.

The rotar was designed to have some float on it. The calipers are fixed so the rotar has to have some free play. Locking it in tight can’t be a good thing
Ms

I shim them tight if need be, most come new tight.

The rotar was designed to have some float on it. The calipers are fixed so the rotar has to have some free play. Locking it in tight can’t be a good thing
Ms
The Caliper is fixed but there is a piston on each side so if everything is straight the pistons will center hydraulically. Now due to the way its mounted and the terrible tolerances in about everything other than the brake I agree with you. But think of this. My old 79Toyota truck had 4 piston solid mounted calipers. The disk was solid mounted. Not mounted to a flexible tunnel. Anyway those worked awesome. Corvette and many high end cars are same thing.

I thought in most automobiles the calipers floated and the rotars were fixed. Interesting. No doubt it was built solid.

I believe the nytro’s calipers floated with a fixed rotar
Ms

I shim them tight if need be, most come new tight.

What kind of shim you use?
I was actually thinking about posting about this topic. There are shims available. Don't know how effective they are and how many have tried them though. Might take a crack at this later this summer when I get to it.

From repairing 4 TCats, it was common for the caliper-side bearing (in that housing) to NOT pull in far enough for the bearing to be against that lock ring. That assumes there is no gap or slack space on the chain case side (both bottom gears are tight against each other and snap ring is tight). Seems like in some cases the bend at the top of the tunnel is not 90 degrees. IF tunnel is less than 90 degrees, then it flares out as it goes down towards caliper housing which means when caliper housing is installed, it will not push bearing up against snap ring (again, assumes both gears on chain case side are tight to each other and snap ring is tight too). I also had one where caliper housing with bearing in it did pull in far enough to have bearing tight against snap ring.
Could this be from dealers lifting these sleds with a fork lift to load and unload, when the dealer picked mine up to load very 1st time it made some awful cracking noises

Possible but not likely. Usually it depends on how you have it supported when working on it.

I’ll double check again but I checked it many times and my rotor has been tight with no side play since day one, and that’s with sled on a stand or sitting flat on the floor.

I’ve seen videos where guys move the rotor quite a bit when everything is reassembled back. I don’t feel any vibration or anything in the brake system while applying the brakes at speed. The other day I removed calliper, rotor and bearing to see if the bop wedge is working and it all came apart easily.
Is there any problems with having no play in the rotor?

My GT rotor is tight also. But NO miles on sled yet, pulled brake pads to make sure they wernt holding it.. Soon as it gets 500 miles on it, its all coming apart for the HurriUPcane 175 install.

No as long as you're not feeling pulsation in brake lever when braking.

I’ll double check again but I checked it many times and my rotor has been tight with no side play since day one, and that’s with sled on a stand or sitting flat on the floor.

I’ve seen videos where guys move the rotor quite a bit when everything is reassembled back. I don’t feel any vibration or anything in the brake system while applying the brakes at speed. The other day I removed calliper, rotor and bearing to see if the bop wedge is working and it all came apart easily.
Is there any problems with having no play in the rotor?

Tight is good . Lol

Mine is like yours Fabio. Rock solid no play.

it may be tight, but it is far from solid, still floating on the splines, that is enough

Back