• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

B-TX Vs M-TX

r_cordell

I've been looking for a Viper B-TX for a while now, and haven't had much luck, seems like there aren't many on the market. I did, however, find a screaming deal on a '16 Viper M-TX. It's in almost new condition, under 400 miles, all recalls dealt with, we'll taken care of. The price is low enough, that I might not be able to turn it down. What I'm wondering is, how much different will the M-TX handle than the B-TX? Most of my riding is from 3000'-4500' elevation, a mix of wetter spring snow, some powder, and some harder, windblown snow. Very limited trail riding. I know the B-TX would suit my riding conditions better, but how much difference is there, really? Any input is greatly appreciated!
If anybody knows where I could find a Viper or Sidewinder B-TX or even X-TX, let me know!
Thanks

If you have your eye on a btx than I'm assuming you're looking at a mtx 153" also, btx will have a 40" front suspension vs 38"-36" depending on year of mtx, gearing and driver's will be different also and track lug height.
From the riding you describe, seems like you don't need much top speed but would benefit from the lower gearing, taller lug track and much more nimble narrower front end, I would definitely go the mtx route unless you do quite a bit of trail riding, hope this helps

The m-tx that I'm looking at is a 2016 with a 153" track. My concerns with the m-tx were that it might be too unstable in the harder snow conditions that we have a lot of times here. Would the b-tx a-arms be the only difference in front end, or are there other differences in suspension set up?

I’m not sure what you consider to be a screaming deal but the market has shown that the 2016+ MTX’s are the least desirable of all Vipers. A couple of years back my dealer had a handful of brand new ‘16 MTX Vipers. Take your pic of track lengths for $7500. They couldn’t give them away. I would consider a screaming deal to be in the $5000 range.

As mentioned above the MTX will have a 4” narrower ski stance, no sway bar (this is a big difference), much lower gearing (75 mph top speed) and a 2.6” or 3” track lug (I don’t remember what year it changed). Original clutch setup was for 10,000 feet of elevation. The differences may not all be a negative for your use. The BTX is set up for sea level and has a 1.75 track. Clutching changes would need to be made on either one for 4000 feet. I am concerned that with that real tall lug track on the MTX that you could burn through the slides while riding on the hard wind blown snow.

That answers most of my questions, I knew I'd have to tune clutches with either model, and I figured hyfax would be an issue with some of the snow we get around here, scratches are pretty much a necessity when we get the hard snow conditions. I also figured I might have to cut the track down to 2", just because we rarely get the snow that requires a 3" paddle to get around. What is it about the 16 models that make them the least desirable? I thought the 15 models were the ones to shy away from...?

15’s had the good rods
After 2015 they had weak rods-not recommend to be turboed

Ok, thought said that if I wanted to turbo it, the rods would need to be swapped out, but I thought that was on all models, not just the post-'16 models. I probably wouldn't bother to ever turbo it, anyway. I don't thinkbit really worth it with the sidewinder on the market. My plan was to buy a viper for this winter, and hopefully buy a new sidewinder in the next couple years. It all depends on what becomes of Yamaha in the snowmobile world, I guess.

Buddy trail rides his 153" MTX fairly often here in Minnesota, he added the wheels to the middle of the skid that the 141" xtx has and with scratchers it makes it a whole season on a set of slides, his has the 2.6" lug powerclaw. He's a 50/50 rider like me, I'm on an XTX and just swapped to the 1.75 backcountry track.

Buddy trail rides his 153" MTX fairly often here in Minnesota, he added the wheels to the middle of the skid that the 141" xtx has and with scratchers it makes it a whole season on a set of slides, his has the 2.6" lug powerclaw. He's a 50/50 rider like me, I'm on an XTX and just swapped to the 1.75 backcountry track.
How does your xtx do in the deep stuff, compared to his m-tx?

How does your xtx do in the deep stuff, compared to his m-tx?

I definitely need to stay on the throttle a lot more, and with a 42" wide front I need to work harder to lay it over in the powder. His is a 15' with the 38" front. As I'm in Northern MN I deal with mostly flatland riding though there are some pretty big hills to play on up on the North Shore. I'm hoping the Backcountry helps a bit more over the cobra in powder, I haven't been too impressed with the stock cobra track as the lugs really fold over easy.

My buddy's new cobra is shedding some lugs already!

My buddy's new cobra is shedding some lugs already!
I put over 5k hard miles on my 137" ice cobra, only had 2 torn lugs towards the end when I put a turbo on the viper, something's not kosher

I put over 5k hard miles on my 137" ice cobra, only had 2 torn lugs towards the end when I put a turbo on the viper, something's not kosher
He got the 900 ACE Turbo Doo and he was losing lugs halfway through the season. He's talking to the dealer tomorrow, hopefully they'll doo something.

The m-tx that I'm looking at is a 2016 with a 153" track. My concerns with the m-tx were that it might be too unstable in the harder snow conditions that we have a lot of times here. Would the b-tx a-arms be the only difference in front end, or are there other differences in suspension set up?
BTX has a sway bar, MTX Does not in the 153, this alone will make the BTX more stable

Back