• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best belt for Winder?

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
8jp causes dust, no doubt. Not the most durable choice.

8dn is very durable. Less dust. With the only side effect being grooved sheathes. Hate that!

Gates carbon 40C4340? Is that the correct number? Where does this stand? I've had the new gates on my 800. Worked great.

I am going to need a belt that does everything. Which one is getting it done.

I am running an OSP adjuster........

Last edited:

8JP has been showing good results when broken in. I'm running the OSP adjuster as well and tried the 8DN but preferred the performance of the 8JP and put it back on.

8jp causes dust, no doubt. Not the most durable choice.

8dn is very durable. Less dust. With the only side effect being grooved sheathes. Hate that!

Gates carbon 40C4340? Is that the correct number? Where does this stand? I've had the new gates on my 800. Worked great.

I am going to need a belt that does everything. Which one is getting it done.

I am running an OSP adjuster........
Hopefully jonlafon chimes in, but I think he ran that Gates and had problems with them.

8JP has been showing good results when broken in. I'm running the OSP adjuster as well and tried the 8DN but preferred the performance of the 8JP and put it back on.

I've heard the 8dn is shorter and should be faster on top......

Just wanting the right back up belt.

So the few comments are reinforcing the 8jp. When probably broken in.

I'm not a fan of exploding belt. Guessing the ones that turned to shrapnel are the ones not properly broken in.

I believe the 8dn is a tad longer, I'm sure others will chime in with actual dimensions. When I lay the 8jp on my 8dn the jp looks just a tinny bit shorter

I'm heading up and have plenty of time for long runs. Want something to play with. If you guys are saying the 8jp is the one. I'm fine.

So, between belt, strap, secondary coil bind. Want things to look for to keep it moving.

What about wrapping the secondary to 70? I'm at 60 now. Worth the work?

Belt snapped and broke through panel, hope warranty covers this, and only 800km on stock belt

Attachments

• Resized_20170203_153929.jpg
    Resized_20170203_153929.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 422
... junk material and design

Attachments

• Resized_20170203_151523_edit.jpg
    Resized_20170203_151523_edit.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 398
  • Resized_20170203_155056.jpg
    Resized_20170203_155056.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 479
8DN, Longer, cheaper cost, harder compound, add one shim to have it above secondary(high like a DOO)

8JP, Shorter, more expensive, softer compound, larger top cog, 2 shims(stock) ride even with secondary.

Only difference is max top speed with 8jp is 2-3mph faster(all else equal) due to shorter belt. The 8dn was designed for sleds prior to merger when Yammie CtC was more....Now in this chassie the CtC is closer hence shorter belt.

FWIW, there are far more snapped 8jp out there, the 8dn will have a much harder time snapping as its longer.

With more gear you also have less chance of snapping a belt IMO, as you are not pulling belt so far into OD.

Dan

Back