• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Big warmup of 2023 here already???

Were you in the Haliburton Forest poker run? I was there both Friday and Saturday since the trails in Fenelon got wiped out on Thursday, ruing my snowmobile vacation week!

If that first sled in your 2nd pic is an SS440, I'm pretty sure we passed that group. We were a group of 4 with me leading on my S-TX GT EPS followed by a Renegade and 2 ZR6000's.

Was a blast!

Yes, I was there, all good fun. We were there Friday to Sunday. The SS440 wasn't in our group, it, and the Black/Gold SRX parked just out of the picture belonged to a guy I spoke with there, they came down from dorset. I am pretty sure I saw your sled, there weren't that many winders there and I only saw the two S-TXs and one was a GT EPS. There were a number o green machines there with EPS. Our group was my blue 21' SRX, a black 21' renegade, a red 06 Attak, and a yellow struggle bus MXZ.

We had a great time although most of us ate way too much :) The restaurant there had a smoker going and we were hanging out at the fire pit afterwards depleting his supply of boshkung brewery offerings. In case you don't know, you can cut through the trails on the east end over to the power lines that go through Algonquin to Whitney. We basically did every trail there, some twice as I had to go fetch oil for the doo that had issues. We stay at an AIR BNB which is right next to RPM powersports the local yammi dealer there just outside the park. We go there at least once a year to stage either into the park or surrounding trail system. We were in Fenelon the week prior, stopped at the Signature cafe (I think thats what its called) on our way to four mile lake.

Last edited:

Nice to see the trail pass!
Too many sleds in our area riding the trails with no tags usually riders with Mohawk Helmets, Back Packs, shovels, and cans!

A 3-strong mohawk brigade went past our Air BnB at 10:30 at night at about 60km/h on dry road throwing sparks everywhere, there was 3 feet of snow just off the road. LOL 3" paddles, 163" track, backpacks and shovels cruising the pavement.. nothing says poser like that.... And in So. Ontario no less ... SMH .. We are sticklers about the trail passes.

Plus I love to see older sleds on the trails.
A friend of mine has this for sale
00707_3oMiRkCmf3t_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I messaged a buddy this morning....I'm bailing on going to his place, Ontario trip.
Mods not going as planned, weather is crazy & unpredictably warm.
Anything I can get done, at this point, is for next year. it's sad......

Beautiful close to freezing day so a few of us went out on a afternoon 100 mile ride and I took my Attak with 1.25" track instead of my SW with 1.75" track as trails are melted and very icy after days of above freezing temps. I really like my faithfull Attak but it is noisy compare to my SW!
I had the scratchers down all day and engine temps were not an issue like they may have been on the SW, even with scratchers, but if I take the Attak again I am definitely wearing ear plugs!!
Awesome day:)

I appreciate the passion many of you have for this sport. I couldnt imagine owning a snowmobile and hoping winter gives you enough snow to ride it or having to travel hrs and hrs away to ride. Thats the definition of true passion to me. With that being said, I dont know if I would could own a sled in that circumstance. Its foreign to us in this area and I cant imagine what that would be like. Sometimes our winters are slow to get going like this year was but that slow start was followed by multiple 20" storms and several smaller ones. We havent even had real good hardpack yet as just when things start to get real good and firm we get a storm. We have a warmish week coming up but followed by colder temps so I actually think its going to be pretty beneficial overall to the trail system.

I appreciate the passion many of you have for this sport. I couldnt imagine owning a snowmobile and hoping winter gives you enough snow to ride it or having to travel hrs and hrs away to ride. Thats the definition of true passion to me. With that being said, I dont know if I would could own a sled in that circumstance. Its foreign to us in this area and I cant imagine what that would be like. Sometimes our winters are slow to get going like this year was but that slow start was followed by multiple 20" storms and several smaller ones. We havent even had real good hardpack yet as just when things start to get real good and firm we get a storm. We have a warmish week coming up but followed by colder temps so I actually think its going to be pretty beneficial overall to the trail system.
Got those Cats dialed in ? Any thoughts on the new cat primary?

Got those Cats dialed in ? Any thoughts on the new cat primary?
Still trying different setups but slowly learning. No problems with primary clutch on either sled yet and it works well. I have seen some failures on facebook but not 100% convinced its the clutch just yet. Some companies are using yamaha weights with side spacers and I think this is bad news. Weights seem to shift out to the point of being more than halfway off the roller which I dont like. Stock cover is flimsy. Some guys with failures said they noticed clutch getting much louder for several hundred miles before failing. Looks like heat issues damaging spider pucks and then combined with flimsy cover and bad stuff happens. So jury still out but I think if clutching is good and efficient with adapt specific components and a billet cover it will be a good clutch. Im keeping a close eye on them.

Still trying different setups but slowly learning. No problems with primary clutch on either sled yet and it works well. I have seen some failures on facebook but not 100% convinced its the clutch just yet. Some companies are using yamaha weights with side spacers and I think this is bad news. Weights seem to shift out to the point of being more than halfway off the roller which I dont like. Stock cover is flimsy. Some guys with failures said they noticed clutch getting much louder for several hundred miles before failing. Looks like heat issues damaging spider pucks and then combined with flimsy cover and bad stuff happens. So jury still out but I think if clutching is good and efficient with adapt specific components and a billet cover it will be a good clutch. Im keeping a close eye on them.
Thanks for update..

Put a 240 Hurricane stock muffler tune in a guys Riot a while ago, he said stock it was only turning 8300. The stock muffler and stock 2bar sensor 240 Hurricane stock muffler tune has brought it right up to 8800 for RPM. He loves it now! No black on the clutches or any other funny business. He was using a XS belt with the 240SM tune, but it could only muster about 8500-8600, so he went back to the stock belt. Sounds like they were WAY over clutched form the factory. Don't they have riders/testers at Textron anymore?

Put a 240 Hurricane stock muffler tune in a guys Riot a while ago, he said stock it was only turning 8300. The stock muffler and stock 2bar sensor 240 Hurricane stock muffler tune has brought it right up to 8800 for RPM. He loves it now! No black on the clutches or any other funny business. He was using a XS belt with the 240SM tune, but it could only muster about 8500-8600, so he went back to the stock belt. Sounds like they were WAY over clutched form the factory. Don't they have riders/testers at Textron anymore?
Wayyyyyy over clutched. Same spring in secondary they used previously with the 58-49 compound cut but now its full progressive 58/49 so secondary is soft. Lot of belt slip with cat belt and even some with ultimax!! Currently using stm torsion conversion with stock helix and green spring on 5th hole with ultimax and clutch sheaves cleaned up beautifully and its holding rpms well when spinning and grabbing traction. Factory weights are too heavy with that soft spring. Not even close as delivered. Worked decent totally stock on extreme hardpack or plowed rd but get in snow and totally different machine. Speedwerx weights work pretty good in these machines. Same profile as cat but slightly less mass in the tips. Definitely no factory testing on these setups, just cant be.

Wayyyyyy over clutched. Same spring in secondary they used previously with the 58-49 compound cut but now its full progressive 58/49 so secondary is soft. Lot of belt slip with cat belt and even some with ultimax!! Currently using stm torsion conversion with stock helix and green spring on 5th hole with ultimax and clutch sheaves cleaned up beautifully and its holding rpms well when spinning and grabbing traction. Factory weights are too heavy with that soft spring. Not even close as delivered. Worked decent totally stock on extreme hardpack or plowed rd but get in snow and totally different machine. Speedwerx weights work pretty good in these machines. Same profile as cat but slightly less mass in the tips. Definitely no factory testing on these setups, just cant be.

Well it seems the 240 Hurricane stock muffler tune is perfect for the setup in the stock Riot clutching. He was reluctant going to just a 240 tune and the stock muffler as well because in the past hes had the whole bundle in his sleds, with big mufflers, but he is loving the whole thing and the setup now!

It's getting harder and harder to keep the faith. The weather isn't cooperating, my body isn't cooperating, the sled sometimes doesn't cooperate, it's getting more expensive, idiots who don't follow the rules get trails closed and we're left with a bunch of road runs. It's getting tiring to keep seeing red on the map and saying "it'll be better next year". My son is also seriously considering selling his sled. My wife can't ride anymore since her sledding accident a few years ago and it's sometimes difficult to find riding partners so I wind up riding alone. Trailering and doing the hotel thing has become very expensive even if I could find someone to go.

It's the ONLY thing I used to look forward to every year and now I just have this sense of dread before each season.

Then of course I have this fear that if I sell my sled, it will be the year of epic snow and will regret my decision.

Sorry for laying this out here. Just need to contemplate my future in the sport.

And looking at for sale ads, there are tons of sleds available which wouldn't help with any possible sale of my own. And some have been on there for weeks. Either overpriced or there is no interest.

Well, I guess the sled has a reprieve for another year at least. Tons of sleds just flooded the used market (I wonder why? :confused:) so not worth it to sell now. Guess I'll just load it up onto the trailer for storage till next season.

It'll be better next year...

Well, I guess the sled has a reprieve for another year at least. Tons of sleds just flooded the used market (I wonder why? :confused:) so not worth it to sell now. Guess I'll just load it up onto the trailer for storage till next season.

It'll be better next year...
It always is. Lol. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
My other spiritual saying to keep me in the sport, "Any miles are better than no miles"

Back