• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Black Hills SD

Bump to the top you SD people not talking? I know there was a snow storm out there last week so How are the Hills?

The trails around Trailshead and Buckhorn R still in great condition. The boondocking is great with a nice base and they had 6 - 8 inches of snow on Monday night. Had a great time in the hills as always

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Black Hills trails open tomorrow. It'll probably be a few weeks until I'm out and about in the Hills since I rolled my new Viper and ended up with a broken collarbone and a few stitches. The good news is although I slammed shoulder first into an icy road the Viper decided to roll a couple times into the fresh powder landing right side up and sustained only a broken windshield and small scratches on each side of the rear bumper. Nothing bent or cracked besides the windshield. It could have been so much worse. I've ridden since I was 8 and now I'm 40 and this was my first major injury. It's really made me reevaluate safety, but I'm ready to get back on and ride soon!

We had a very nice 2-3 foot storm a couple weeks ago plus another 6-10" a week ago. More snow is coming this week. It should be an excellent year. Let me know if any of you are coming this way because I always enjoy meeting new people and riding. I should be back on the sled in a month or so... plus... or more likely minus a few days.

Black Hills trails open tomorrow. It'll probably be a few weeks until I'm out and about in the Hills since I rolled my new Viper and ended up with a broken collarbone and a few stitches. The good news is although I slammed shoulder first into an icy road the Viper decided to roll a couple times into the fresh powder landing right side up and sustained only a broken windshield and small scratches on each side of the rear bumper. Nothing bent or cracked besides the windshield. It could have been so much worse. I've ridden since I was 8 and now I'm 40 and this was my first major injury. It's really made me reevaluate safety, but I'm ready to get back on and ride soon!

We had a very nice 2-3 foot storm a couple weeks ago plus another 6-10" a week ago. More snow is coming this week. It should be an excellent year. Let me know if any of you are coming this way because I always enjoy meeting new people and riding. I should be back on the sled in a month or so... plus... or more likely minus a few days.
Do you know any good places to stay out there? I can't get out west this year but the Black hills are close enough to make a long weekend out of it. I have never ridden out there just driven through. Any good places to go off trail out there?

Do you know any good places to stay out there? I can't get out west this year but the Black hills are close enough to make a long weekend out of it. I have never ridden out there just driven through. Any good places to go off trail out there?

Buffalo, MN huh? I have a lot of relatives that live close to that area. Maple Lake -Howard Lake areas.

I manage a cabin between Lead and Deadwood. It's not on the trail, but very convenient. If you have a group it's a good bet. Let me know and I'll be happy to discuss in a pvt. message.

There are many available hotels in Deadwood, Lead and out in the Hills. Some on trail and many close.

Like I said, I have a little injury now so I haven't been out yet, but grooming has started. A good chance of snow tomorrow and it sounds like the Southern Hills might get hit a little harder which would be good. Just Google South Dakota Snowmobile Trail conditions and look for our GFP link. They also have a Twitter account.

The Black Hills is a bit of a mixed bag off trail. I know many good relatively safe meadows and areas... ones I have been playing in for about 30 years... been riding the Hills since I was 9, but it's also a place filled with rocks and stumps so early off trail riding without a base can lead to a land mine surprise! Although I've never totaled a sled here I have went through a couple A arms over the years. Off trail usually improves into a January and February. Also we get a lot of traffic so the play areas do get pretty tracked up quickly, but it's still a lot of fun. Trails are well marked and well maintained.

I will try and do a better job with local updates this winter. I sort of lost interest last year because it was such a poor winter. I still rode (you can always ride here, but some winters suck) but was way down on mileage. So far this year seems like a solid start.

Last edited:
Buffalo, MN huh? I have a lot of relatives that live close to that area. Maple Lake -Howard Lake areas.

I manage a cabin between Lead and Deadwood. It's not on the trail, but very convenient. If you have a group it's a good bet. Let me know and I'll be happy to discuss in a pvt. message.

There are many available hotels in Deadwood, Lead and out in the Hills. Some on trail and many close.

Like I said, I have a little injury now so I haven't been out yet, but grooming has started. A good chance of snow tomorrow and it sounds like the Southern Hills might get hit a little harder which would be good. Just Google South Dakota Snowmobile Trail conditions and look for our GFP link. They also have a Twitter account.

The Black Hills is a bit of a mixed bag off trail. I know many good relatively safe meadows and areas... ones I have been playing in for about 30 years... been riding the Hills since I was 9, but it's also a place filled with rocks and stumps so early off trail riding without a base can lead to a land mine surprise! Although I've never totaled a sled here I have went through a couple A arms over the years. Off trail usually improves into a January and February. Also we get a lot of traffic so the play areas do get pretty tracked up quickly, but it's still a lot of fun. Trails are well marked and well maintained.

I will try and do a better job with local updates this winter. I sort of lost interest last year because it was such a poor winter. I still rode (you can always ride here, but some winters suck) but was way down on mileage. So far this year seems like a solid start.
Yup Buffalo is where I call home for now. Looking at moving to Montana in the future. Thanks for all the info, I will keep it all in my mind as I'm always looking for new places to ride. How much snow do the usually get out there?

Yup Buffalo is where I call home for now. Looking at moving to Montana in the future. Thanks for all the info, I will keep it all in my mind as I'm always looking for new places to ride. How much snow do the usually get out there?

Lead, SD is the 5th snowiest town in the US. We usually average over 200 inches a year. Of course we are also a relatively warm area (compared to places further North or East) so conditions can go back and forth throughout a season. It's not the big mountains here so you won't find many great places for a 162" or 174" and big mountain sleds are pretty cumbersome around here, but people ride them because it's "the style" right now. Short tracks also stink here so it really is crossover country. If you hit it right after a dumping it can challenge the best boondocker.

I always lived somewhat close to the Black Hills. We own a ranch and farm about 100 miles east of here. A few years ago a teaching job opened up here so I took it. If you love to snowmobile it's a lot cheaper to live right where you can ride. I have traveled to many western areas over the years like the Big Horns, Snowy Range, West Yellowstone, etc. but those big trips cost a lot of $$$! Also my Dad turns 80 today and is still riding, but he isn't comfortable in the big mountains anymore and I'm not comfortable taking him. If something happens here there is a better chance of getting medical attention, but make no mistake there is still a lot of wilderness in the Black Hills.

It's suppose to snow today and be bitterly cold so we got a snow day at school. Hopefully I can catch up on work around the house. lol

Lead, SD is the 5th snowiest town in the US. We usually average over 200 inches a year. Of course we are also a relatively warm area (compared to places further North or East) so conditions can go back and forth throughout a season. It's not the big mountains here so you won't find many great places for a 162" or 174" and big mountain sleds are pretty cumbersome around here, but people ride them because it's "the style" right now. Short tracks also stink here so it really is crossover country. If you hit it right after a dumping it can challenge the best boondocker.

I always lived somewhat close to the Black Hills. We own a ranch and farm about 100 miles east of here. A few years ago a teaching job opened up here so I took it. If you love to snowmobile it's a lot cheaper to live right where you can ride. I have traveled to many western areas over the years like the Big Horns, Snowy Range, West Yellowstone, etc. but those big trips cost a lot of $$$! Also my Dad turns 80 today and is still riding, but he isn't comfortable in the big mountains anymore and I'm not comfortable taking him. If something happens here there is a better chance of getting medical attention, but make no mistake there is still a lot of wilderness in the Black Hills.

It's suppose to snow today and be bitterly cold so we got a snow day at school. Hopefully I can catch up on work around the house. lol
Ok good to here! I have a nytro 153" which I feel would be a prefect sled for that area. You stated the reason I'm looking to move west in the future. I love to snowmobile, its what I live for but I feel that the area I'm in is holding me back as I cant afford to drive 300-400 miles to ride every weekend. I agree with you. It cost a lot of $$$ to go out to the big mountains which I love doing but if I go its only once a year for a few days.

Just curious am I going to sink like an anchor with my 129 1 1/4 track out there?

I'm finally healed up enough to take the Viper out for a ride this weekend. I'll give a report of what I find. So far the State GFP reports that most conditions are excellent on trail. It is really cold this week, but this weekend will warm up a bit and should be good for riding.

So far the snow is pretty decent in the Black Hills this year. We really need a dump for off trail, but we do have a pretty good base. This week is supposed to be pretty warm so that will settle things a bit. Some snow in the forecast for the weekend. Last weekend I rode about 200 miles and the conditions were good. I ventured very little off trail, but did find a little powder here and there. I also saw some rocks saying "hello" to me so you have to be pretty careful. If you are riding the Hills Trail 4 has a lot of land mines on it so keep that in mind. I've ridden it enough that there are a few rocks that I just know about and many I don't nor do I want to know about! :)

If you want to ride in the Black Hills get your butts out here! We have a great base and looking like 8-10" of fresh by tomorrow morning. Snow in the forecast all week. I rode this past weekend and it was decent, but this snow is going to make it excellent!

If you come out let me know. Most weekends I'm looking for someone to ride with.

Back