• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Black Hills SD

yamajammer76 said:
Brian it was nice talking to you today. Hope I didn't use up too much of your time since you looked pretty busy with those rental sleds! Anyhow sounds like a chance of snow tonight and tomorrow. Let's hope we get a little to freshen things up. Keep in touch and hopefully we can go out for a ride one of these weekends.

10-4 Jammer we have been swamped , in between building 2 Nypexs and a Nypro down at Adreniline Junkies helping Scott and Tim out , it seems the word is getting out about our Hidden Gem here in "The Black Hills" met up with the new Minister from Lead at Lewies having a burger last night , I told him we would take him out on the house , will let you know the date your all welcome to join in the fun.

Had a party of 5 ride out to Trailshead Lodge this morning wanting to sample some of Bob and Sandy's Chili, the boys were chomping at the Bit until they took off in -6 weather it didn't take long before they were back standing next to The Fireplace at our hotel , everyone should dress for the worst you can always dress down if need be , we seen a lot of folks that come out to visit and ride and are Totally Miserable , temps can be -10 at 7 am and 40 at noon , be prepared if you come out , if not come see us and I will loan you a suit , Ride Safe.

Trails 8
Boondock 6 (Landmines)

B
:sled1:

Stone9 said:
Royalblue and Yamajammer my buddy and I will be coming out Feb 20 21 22 staying at spearfish canyon. If you either of you guys would wanna meet up and ride that would be sweet. You could show us some good off trail

Hmm... I might have to take a personal day on the 21st. I'll keep in touch. I just hit 1,000 miles so far for the season and considering it's not even Feb. 1st yet I think I'm doing pretty good.

The next 2 weekends are filled up with National Guard stuff, but then my cousin and a group of 8 are coming for President's Day weekend from Minnesota so hopefully I survive that ride!

Dad and I did about 250 miles this weekend. It was warm on Saturday but we rode south on 1 to the trail 9 junction. It was really good down in that area. I almost got stuck on 12 playing around. In the afternoon we rode to Big Hill and then to Cement Ridge and then all the way back to Rec. Springs! Today we rode down to Mountain Meadow where the snow was short, but helped by today's little storm. They were having radar races out on Deerfield Lake, but it was so windy on the lake we just made a pass by and headed back north on 2. Again 2 was a little short in the open, but that is very normal and it was actually "good" for the southern part of Trail 2.

I did play around off trail some when I could find some good deep spots. Off trail is still a bit spooky so I take it pretty easy and ride with "laser eyes" although that rarely helps. :) I'd love to see a nice foot or two dump to fill in those meadows, but overall the riding is pretty darn good. The snow today was very welcome since things were starting to get pretty beat-up after a warm Saturday.

One more thing... ATVs are NOT supposed to be on our snowmobile trails!!! We ran across some ATVs tearing things up on Trail 4 where it crosses the gravel road just past the long valley. I didn't want to cause a confrontation, but I did motion to the trail and shook my head "NO" so I hope they got the point. I was really hoping Trail Patrol would have came along about that time.

ISOC RACING

Took a fall on the Ice yesterday and cracked some ribs , I wont have a report for a few days , we did get some snow today , plenty to trail ride , groomed every day like clock work.

All of the Featherlite haulers are in town fresh from the X Games for The Deadwood Shootout this weekend Hibbert and all the boys are ready , Il try to hobble down there and get some pictures.

And please watch the ice , and thanks to the Ft Meade VA for the stellar service (again)

:sled1:

B.

Stone9 said:
Any updates? I'll be coming out Wednesday.

You'll be good to go. The last few days have been warmer, but we have gotten some fresh snow and it looks like slightly cooler temps later this week with a chance of snow in the forecast. I found some really good powder down south for my group this weekend. We had a great time! The ones that made it the whole ride logged over 400 miles with plenty of playing around as well.

I sent you a PM.

The conditions in the Black Hills are outstanding at the present time! If you are considering a trip out our way you will not be disappointed. Get out here and ride while you can because you never know when Spring is going to show up. Went out riding with Stone9, his wife and his buddy today. Had a blast. Trails were a 10 except for right around Deerfield Lake and Mountain Meadow, but it was still decent down that way. Off trail ranges from an 8 to a 10. South of Trailshead we found some real deep stuff and had a blast.

Royal I have not seen you posting for awhile. I hope your recovery is going ok. We still need to ride sometime. BTW what is up with that "Yeeha" That thing is all over the place and cracks me up every time I see it on the trail. Looks like a beast. I saw it parked at the Days Inn.

Best I have seen it in a few years. Happy riding!

Had a blast today Tom. Thank you again
Trails were great and did some great boondocking.
Can't beat a black hills trip

So far the spring riding is still pretty good in the Black Hills. We got about 6-8" inches last night and the base is still holding fairly well up high. Trails close March 31st.

Well things are white around here so I'm hoping it keeps snowing and we have decent riding by the middle to end of December. Once things get going I will try and keep everyone informed. I met and rode with a couple different people I met through here last year so hoping I get the chance again this year.

I'll be checking in regularly on trail conditions. Wife and I are planning a trip late Feb / early Mar. for our 30th anniversary. Love the Hills in the summer, can only be better in the winter! We're thinking Monday thru Friday. Less traffic?

Any new snow? Jammer, I will be there for a day for sure on jan 17th. We are hitting the hills on our way back from big horns

Any new snow? Jammer, I will be there for a day for sure on jan 17th. We are hitting the hills on our way back from big horns
We received about 24 in a couple days ago and 6-8 in town yesterday. Trail grooming has started. There isn't much of a base under the snow so watch yourself off trail. I managed to ride a few miles the other day before the groomers even hit it and it looked very good. Better as I rode West, but I only made it to Rec. Springs for lunch. I plan to go out on a big ride soon. Please look me up if you stop in the Hills. Love the chance to ride with you again.

Here's the latest update. I rode about 250 miles this weekend. Trail 9 is about as far South as you want to go. We started at Recreational Springs Resort both days and most of the northern and western trails are in pretty good condition. Yesterday it warmed up and was a little hard on them and today will be the same, but cooler weather is coming. Hopefully some snow too!

I'll be honest a foot would be really nice right now, but a good part of the trail system still has pretty good conditions. We did a little off trail riding here and there, but until we get another nice dump on top of what we have I'd be very very careful.

If you are ever out my way I'm always looking to find people to ride with on the weekends so just let me know! Happy riding!

Good news... It's been snowing hard all morning. I don't know if we will get a lot out of it, but looks like we will get a few inches to freshen things up. If your planning a trip to the Black Hills this weekend you should be good to go. It's still a bit short off trail so be careful!

It's been a long time since I did an update. We sort of had spring come early the beginning of February which really ruined the Black Hills. I have good news, however... It has been snowing and snowing and snowing all day on top of a couple decent snows last week. Riding should be GREAT this weekend. If your thinking about a trip out to the Black Hills this upcoming weekend should be prime riding!

Back