• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Blown Belt

Well......I finally gave in. 1900miles on o.e. belt. It's a shame, she wanted to go 3000. But thought I'd retire her b4 something happened. She looks so good.....
Break the new 8jp in tomorrow and prepare her for war. Lol!

View attachment 137680

Quit being a “Show Off” JT!

Blew my xs825 ultimax after 4 500km. It was about time....lol

Hi

So I am kinda stumped, here is what happend. Had 550 miles on original belt with offset at about 61.9mm all stock clutching no problems. Changed to this at 550 miles.Primary-Dalton DTYA-1 at 74.9 grams, blk/blu primary, thunder washers. Secondary-Dalton blk/org spring, TD rollers, TD belt adjuster, wrapped 3-3 peak rpm 9150 put on another 150 somewhat easy miles no problem.

Changed offset to 60.9mm by removing shim behind seconday and re-adjusted belt. Did about 50 miles all good. Got onto lake with a good amount of powder mashed throttle abot 20 seconds later BOOM belt explodes. Belt is 8JP

So here is my dilemma, was it cause I changes the off-set? I felt clutches and I would say they were hot.

Thanks

Hi

So I am kinda stumped, here is what happend. Had 550 miles on original belt with offset at about 61.9mm all stock clutching no problems. Changed to this at 550 miles.Primary-Dalton DTYA-1 at 74.9 grams, blk/blu primary, thunder washers. Secondary-Dalton blk/org spring, TD rollers, TD belt adjuster, wrapped 3-3 peak rpm 9150 put on another 150 somewhat easy miles no problem.

Changed offset to 60.9mm by removing shim behind seconday and re-adjusted belt. Did about 50 miles all good. Got onto lake with a good amount of powder mashed throttle abot 20 seconds later BOOM belt explodes. Belt is 8JP

So here is my dilemma, was it cause I changes the off-set? I felt clutches and I would say they were hot.

Thanks

Put your offset back where it was. On next ride check clutch temps. They will most likely be cooler. If they are. Problem should be solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been riding hard for two days here in South Dakota 35 degree and 55 degree weather. Very deep snow. checked my gates 8jp equivalent today and had three different strands of spring coming out the side. Clogs look good so I cut the strings and burned the ends. Spare belt now. What would cause that?

Hi

Thanks

Have you aligned your clutches with hurricanes tool? Most seem to end up around a 57-58 offset when aligned. You may still be out even though you removed a shim.

Hi

Thanks

What tune are you running with that clutch setup? Thats a setup we'd run on a 240 tune and have no problems with for thousands of trail miles.

But judging by those RPMs, that seems a bit high and light. Is that off the MAX recall on the tach?

If your running up on any of the big tunes you don't have enough secondary spring to keep a hold on the belt up top for snow or actual trail conditions.

Reading above where your on the lake running in the powder, I'm going to guess you are running a bigger tune that 240 and theres now way to keep a hold on that secondary with that clutch setup. It's not offset related because you are still not low enough to line up properly 60.9 mm. Your offset is still far to great at that spec! I could pop a belt at will before running the Black/Orange in the powder just like you just proved.

Get your offset down even more and if running on big tunes your'e going to need a bunch more secondary spring. EPI Cat purple, Dalton Cat white or Cat sno-pro Green, all of which are Cat driven springs I have been having great success now with in keeping a hold on the belt in the secondary with.

I double checked the Hurricane bar and did my clutch offset manually and the Hurricane bar is spot on. Nice work on that bar Dave! I also set for zero float at any time and bolt the driven down solid.

20190301_152001.jpeg Joined the club. 773 miles on stock LTX DX, stock clutching. 265 mm C to C, 61.1 MM offset, clutches aligned, no secondary coil bind. Just broken in. Ice Attack 1.22 track. Resized_20190228_220414_3203.jpeg 20190301_105945.jpeg Some belt dust in the machine. Moderate trail use and speed. Figure this one out?

Forgot to add the primary spring. Some paint off of spring below paint marks.

Last edited:
Joined the club. 773 miles on stock LTX DX, stock clutching. 265 mm C to C, 61.1 MM offset, clutches aligned, no secondary coil bind. Just broken in. Ice Attack 1.22 track. View attachment 146824 View attachment 146825 Some belt dust in the machine. Moderate trail use and speed. Figure this one out?

Seems the offsets are all over the place. Mine was stock up to 5200 miles and has never blown a belt. The offset was measured and came out to 60.6 MM. I have now done the Hurricane stock muffler tune bundle and I trimmed 3 MM off the backside of the secondary and also off the alloy collar plug so it's now about 57.6 MM.

My buddies was right at 60 MM stock and he left it that way but has the 2.5 free flow muffler Hurricane bundle.....240/270/290. He has had trouble blowing belts though.

Yep slipping in the secondary up top bigtime. Reduce offset and probably run a stiffer section spring. This was a stock machine?

Yep slipping in the secondary up top bigtime. Reduce offset and probably run a stiffer section spring. This was a stock machine?
Totally stock except for the track.
It has a 1mm shim behind the secondary. If I remove that shim it will bring down the off set.
But, can I run the secondary against the C clip on the shaft?
Looks like I'll have to have the secondary shaft milled.

Back