• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Check your chaincase chain adjuster!

Silly question. 2020 SR Vipers. Should we weld the tensioner bolts on them as well or is this just a winder issue?

If it has the same set up as a sidewinder I would for sure.. Its the vibration/harmonics that gets the bolts going the wrong way.. Seems to be no pattern on this either.. Heard of failures with only a couple thousand miles - And others that never have a issue in thousands of miles +.. Its a must do on a sidewinder and see no reason it would not be on a viper IF it has the same roller set up?

If it has the same set up as a sidewinder I would for sure.. Its the vibration/harmonics that gets the bolts going the wrong way.. Seems to be no pattern on this either.. Heard of failures with only a couple thousand miles - And others that never have a issue in thousands of miles +.. Its a must do on a sidewinder and see no reason it would not be on a viper IF it has the same roller set up?
Vipers have the identical roller setup in the chain case. The roller screws should be tack welded for Vipers as well.

The 15 Viper that i used to have had green Loctite on the roller screws and they were not loose (but I welded them anyway). I got the sled with 46 miles but I was the 2nd owner and I know with 100% certainty that the 1st owner had the chain case opened up but I don't know if he did the green Loctite or if Yamaha did.

I got my current 17 Sidewinder with 340 miles. There was no Loctite on the screws and they were both backed out quite far.

has anyone tried the aftermarket skate instead of the wheel?
Not many on here are or they are not posting about it. Most are welding the bolts and having zero issue with the metal roller. Maybe the plastic skate would help with vibration? I would think it might. Just not hearing much on this site about it.

I would tack weld every adjuster in a Sidewinder, AC 7000, Viper, XF 9000, ZR 6000 and every one with this chaincase. Saw far too many busted chain cases for my liking this year. Especially when parts are on back order for months at a time.

I would tack weld every adjuster in a Sidewinder, AC 7000, Viper, XF 9000, ZR 6000 and every one with this chaincase. Saw far too many busted chain cases for my liking this year. Especially when parts are on back order for months at a time.

The adjuster bolts or the bolts that hold the wheel in the bracket?

The ones that hold the roller to the bracket

The ones that hold the roller to the bracket

That was my understanding (the tack welding is to the bolts that hold the guide wheel in place, not the tensioner.)

but the two comments:

Question
" Should we weld the tensioner bolts on them as well "

Answer
"I would tack weld every adjuster in a Sidewinder"

Made me think "wait what?"

Anything that uses that case I have welded.
That’s an ugly breakdown if you dont

Anything that uses that case I have welded.
That’s an ugly breakdown if you dont

The tensioner bolt itself has a jam nut. Its just the bolts on the tensioner bracket that hold the guide wheel in the tensioner bracket that comes loose was my understanding. The bolt in yellow not 5,6 as shown below.

I just want to be clear as I am having the top gear and shaft done as preventative maintenance by a local weld shop and if something else needs to be done then do that at the same time.

1649692749877.png

Not to mention they aren't cheap. Just had to replace both halves on a Viper, around $400 each CAD

The tensioner bolt itself has a jam nut. Its just the bolts on the tensioner bracket that hold the guide wheel in the tensioner bracket that comes loose was my understanding. The bolt in yellow not 5,6 as shown below.

I just want to be clear as I am having the top gear and shaft done as preventative maintenance by a local weld shop and if something else needs to be done then do that at the same time.

View attachment 167871
You are correct with the yellow area.

I saw somewhere, someone selling bushing for where the tensioner mounts on chaincase. Anyone know who and have you used it. Seems like a nice idea to keep from wearing.

Back