• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutch Machining for Overdrive

Srxspec

Ulmer Racing
TY Advertiser
Tech Advisor
Website
www.ulmerracing.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha SR Viper LTX, 2014 Yamaha SR Viper RTX SE, 2015 Yamaha SR Viper MTX SE 162 (turbo), 2015 Yamaha SR Viper MTX SE 153
WEBSITE
www.ulmerracing.com
We will machine any year primary clutch to pull the belt to the top of the clutch and allow for more overdrive. Please send the primary clutch with weights removed (please leave the primary spring and rollers in) and we will disassemble and inspect it, machine it, and have it balanced. Cost is $200 and includes return shipping for those in the US.

Allen, I just installed an overdrive sheave on the SRX, do you think it will need balancing?

Terry, I would recommend balancing it. Anytime you rotate the sheave it is no longer in the same orientation as stock so it would in theory need to be balanced.

Allen, is this meant to be run with the stock belt? Does it shorten belt life, for trail use? Also I am intereseted in your stage 2 Apex kit, would that be compatable, with the sheave mod?

SpecRTX, to most we will recommend the 23 top tooth gear to go with this combination. We have setup several Attak models with 22 top gear and it works great also.

ricerocket, this is designed to use the stock 8DN Yamaha belt. Belt life is not sacrificed at all and it is setup for your general trail riding. The Stage 2 kit is compatable with the overdrive mod as well.

Allen, my clutching knowledge is based on many years of running Polaris and the p-85. By cutting the Yammie sheave I understand it allows the clutch to close more, getting the belt futher up. Won't this also give more belt clearance at idle? I'm guessing this is just something you have to accept? On the p-85 setting up the clutch for belt clearance is a normal fine tuning procedure.

The split collars in the stationary sheave are machined so that the belt clearance is kept to normal spec. If you do not machine the split collars, yes your belt clearance will increase and you will have an aggressive/jerky motion on engagement.

Clutch Machining

I have a 05 Warrior with a clutch kit. How much top end would I gain if I had the clutch machined? Are there any other changes necessary?

On a Warrior I would recommend going to a 22 tooth top gear or a 40 tooth bottom gear. This should increase your low to midrange acceleration while keeping the same top end as before. Your clutch kit will likely need to be adjusted slightly, but it will depend on whose kit you're using also.

Srxspec said:
The split collars in the stationary sheave are machined so that the belt clearance is kept to normal spec. If you do not machine the split collars, yes your belt clearance will increase and you will have an aggressive/jerky motion on engagement.

Allen please bear with me as I'm trying to learn these Yammies. Are you maching both the split collars and the inner sheave face?

We machine the split collars and both clutch sheaves.

No, our aftermarket helixes are cut properly to allow full shift into overdrive.

Back