• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching on the cheap

Thanks guys for all the tips. This site rocks.

FastEddie, does thunder products post the specs on that spring? A lot of vendors sell clutch parts online, but don't want to say what it is. I like to see if it's close to what I want first.

BlueDave, you can just PM me the name if you want. Usually Mr Sled doesnt get too upset about naming names if it's just guys trying to help each other. Usually he will say something though if somebody comes on and just starts advertising or telling everyone to go here to this place, cause they should talk to him first to be fair to all the vendors that pay to play.

Cheers,

Dave

They don't have any specs posted about that spring. Might have to call them, or NOS PRO might be able to tell us the specs on the spring. I'm pretty sure he runs there clutch kit in his sled.

I'm pretty sure he designed it. lol I was hoping to meet NOS at the TY ride last year and just have him look at my sled and tell me everything to do, but he didn't show. ha ha

Lol... I think I had my race banquet that weekend....

The midnight blue spring from Thunder will not coil bind on un-machined clutches....that is why the kit was made that way to use that spring. The pink is a good spring, but the blue in the kit rocks!

Lots of people who bought the Venom kit from Thunder Products who aren't on this site said 102-104mph on bone stock machines was awesome by just installing the kit. Very happy since there Vipers only did 84-86mph before the kit change.

Yes, so do I...anyone wants a set, PM me

Hi everyone. I recently bought a 2014 viper ltx and would like to do some clutching. I am from Canada and priced the big venom kit at $449 plus tax. I was wondering if anyone knew off hand where these parts can be had at a reasonable price so I can put my own kit together? What spring and weights should I get?
Thanks

Hi everyone. I recently bought a 2014 viper ltx and would like to do some clutching. I am from Canada and priced the big venom kit at $449 plus tax. I was wondering if anyone knew off hand where these parts can be had at a reasonable price so I can put my own kit together? What spring and weights should I get?
Thanks
I have this kit and it ROCKS!! I'm upgrading to a turbo so I just ordered the turbo kit from Lonn at Thunder Products. I'd be happy to sell you my big venom kit for non-turbo sleds. Please PM if you are interested. My kit has about 400 miles on it.

I think the weights should say 8Fp on them. I had them with heavy rivets in the tip. Can't remember the weights.

I'm hitting the rev limiter on my new to me 15 viper mtx so I pulled one of the weights to look at it. Realized afterwards my scale is broke so I'll be getting a new one tomorrow or next day. Sled has 8FS weights in it but seems like it should have some heavier rivets in it?

Spring is blue brown blue.

Any thoughts? Sled will be running around 0-3000 ft a vast majority

Attachments

• IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 149
Finally got a scale 70 grams. That seems close to what it should be right?

Oh also is everyone still running the 8DN belts? I have several spares so I can easily swap over to one if it helps.

Last edited:
Does it matter what brand of helix is used? I just bought a used Viper and it currently appears to have stock clutching so I've been considering the COTC set up. I noticed on the first page that it says the 45/39 has the pocket machined deeper for the spring to prevent spring bind, is this on all of the helixes or is it an extra? I'm completely new to the four stroke world so I've been reading everything on here but there is a lot to remember.

Does adding the 4mm or 6mm shims on the primary similar to doing the shim mod grizzly? Mod bottom end for a bit less top end? Do you need to do any clutch re-alignment after?

Back