• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Copper exhaust gasket

DigitalFusion

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Viper LTX, 10 Turbo Phazer MTX, 08 Phazer, 88 SnoScoot
is anyone using the copper exhaust gaskets from any of the vendors? I bought one from Muffin works, but it just seems like it might leak. Im doing my 300 mile service and am not sure if I wanna put in the copper one, or new the yamaha one I have. If you are using copper, does it seal well?

I just put in the new Yamaha one for now.I hang onto the copper one to see how it works out for others!

Guess I'm the guinea pig again.

Had my first service along with my warranty work and had the dealer put my Hurricane copper gasket in. It had a leak when I showed up to pick up the machine. A little high temperature silicone and that sealed the leak. That's what Dave is recommending.

lol @ freelance. You cant seem to win, can you? Im guessing dave is recommending Permatex copper?

We had one reported issue of a leak with the copper gasket. Through our research, here is what we found:

The stock flanges on the exhaust pipes have some imperfections in the mating surfaces. These imperfections come from either the welding of the flange to the pipe, or due to the stamping process of the flange. The stock gasket has enough 'give' to it to fill any voids or imperfections. Whereas copper is a soft material and can fill some of these imperfections, it is not as forgiving as the stock gasket ... It requires a flatter surface.

So if you experience a leak, here is what we would recommend. A copper pemetex sealant will definitely help. But you can also take a black marker to color the surface of the flanges. Then you can hit the surface of the flanges with a file. You will quickly see where the marker has been filed away exposing where the high spots are. You can continue to work the flange smooth until you have a flat mating surface.

We apologize for this inconvenience. But this is something we did not immediately experience or aniticipate when we designed our gasket.

We have over 60 copper gaskets sold currently.We are recommending to all to use a copper sealant when installing the reusable copper gasket.Our copper gasket is made .060" thick.Simular to the stock gasket so that it will conform to the mating surface that is there.As far as I know all of the Hurricane Copper gaskets are running leak free when installed with sealant in both NA and Turboed applications

Just received mine from Muffin Works, will be installing this next week.

Installed mine, no leaks(muffin works). And it's been bounced around hard. You can see the contact/seal line when you take it out.

gade-thrasher said:
We had one reported issue of a leak with the copper gasket. Through our research, here is what we found:

The stock flanges on the exhaust pipes have some imperfections in the mating surfaces. These imperfections come from either the welding of the flange to the pipe, or due to the stamping process of the flange. The stock gasket has enough 'give' to it to fill any voids or imperfections. Whereas copper is a soft material and can fill some of these imperfections, it is not as forgiving as the stock gasket ... It requires a flatter surface.

So if you experience a leak, here is what we would recommend. A copper pemetex sealant will definitely help. But you can also take a black marker to color the surface of the flanges. Then you can hit the surface of the flanges with a file. You will quickly see where the marker has been filed away exposing where the high spots are. You can continue to work the flange smooth until you have a flat mating surface.

We apologize for this inconvenience. But this is something we did not immediately experience or aniticipate when we designed our gasket.

that makes a lot of sense, and I'd prefer to do it this way over permatex.

is anyone using the copper exhaust gaskets from any of the vendors? I bought one from Muffin works, but it just seems like it might leak. Im doing my 300 mile service and am not sure if I wanna put in the copper one, or new the yamaha one I have. If you are using copper, does it seal well?
Looking into it myself , as removal of muffler seems a frequent thing! Muffinworks advises copper permatex sealer to avoid leakage.

copper gasket from muffin doesnt leak ive had muffler off few times.

Back