• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help Overheat issues!!

I have a Sidewinder BT-X (SE, 153” 1.75 BC Track) and have had all kinds of issues with it overheating since new! Please read through as it seems this has ultimately cost me the engine!

At first I attributed to an air pocket, but after adding and adding water it seems its using/losing coolant somewhere! I’m not a mechanic and rely on the dealer to perform all work, but a couple of the guys from our club are (professional) mechanics and after witnessing these issues are now all in agreement there’s more to the problem.

The issue seems to be highlighted when riding and then stop for 5-10 minutes, when you start it up it immediately goes into limp mode. Knowing there is the smaller heat exchanger in the rear on the B-TX model, I’m careful after take-off from a stop (and especially in these instances) to immediately hit some deep fresh snow to load the skid and tunnel with (when stopped for a period, the snow melts/falls from the heat exchanger).

This is my 4th new Yamaha snowmobile in the last 7 years, and first MAJOR issue I’ve encountered with any of them. I’m super frustrated (and downright pissed at this point) as it’s ruined every ride I’ve taken on it. Due to the snow conditions near home this season, I’ve been forced to trailer 3-4 hours north to find good snow; it’s sure mess when you’re in the middle of the Northwood’s and you encounter these issues. Needless to say, I’ve spent a lot of time alone on the side of the trail trying to get this thing to cool down so I can ride it while NOT in limp mode.

## UPDATE ## My last ride this past weekend (fresh 13” snow, ungroomed trails) I encountered the same issues, but this time resulted in black smoke out of engine and windshield/panels along with pulp coming out of the exhaust. It’s clear the engine is toast and now the sled us sitting at the dealer awaiting to be torn apart. Not only is my concern they resolve the original overheating issue (in addition to the result engine issues), but my bigger concern is that if the heat has done this damage to the motor what other internal components have been severely stressed/compromised (ie; did not fail currently but will down the road).

Here’s the details/what I’ve attempted:

1. Use ice scratchers regularly (even when show conditions don’t require), every time I stop I look to confirm the heat exchangers are getting plenty of fresh snow. (mechanic friends observed and agree that is NOT the issue)

2. After stops and frequently while riding (trails) I ride the side and go off trail to pack the rear full of fresh snow, again heat exchangers have plenty of fresh snow on them.

3. At cold starts I’ve taken the radiator cap off and ran engine while adding water until full, then fill the overflow reservoir to the full line at ‘Cold’

4. Did the same procedure in #3 above on snowbank where front end was much higher than rear (to eliminate any potential air locks)

5. Had in to Yamaha dealer for break-in services at 90 miles and 550 miles and complained of the overheating and coolant usage, dealer has been unable to locate anything wrong other than low coolant level. I requested they pressure test and examine further, as the coolant is going somewhere (they could not locate any issues and attributed to burping/air).

6. Overflow reservoir never overflows/fills, level always only goes down.

7. Engine oil is at normal level and does not seem to be pressurized/foaming.

8. Radiator cap is secure and tight, no coolant leaking from there (or overflow tank).

9. Regularly monitor to ensure snow is not blocking the front intakes.

10. I’ve let dry off and then started/idled to see if I could spot a leak/puddle, but nothing!

11. Seems to occur at all air temps, frigid temps (below zero) may slightly decrease occurrences (?).

12. Riders behind me do not report any suspect odors from exhaust (until recently with black smoke)

13. It’s completely stock, and followed proper break-in procedures.

14. Due to the overheating issues I’m careful not to let it idle while not in motion, although from discovery it seems if it’s only going to sit for 1-2 minutes it’s better to leave running rather than turn off engine (due to engine heat soak?)

I don't like the sounds of that!! How many times did you have it overheat into limp mode?? Now you have me worried about mine it's been into limp mode like 9 times! But i always found snow or shut it off and let it cool down. Highest I ever drove with it for a while was like 93 degrees until it eventually cooled off. I talked to the dealer and he had said not to worry about any engine damage that it goes into limp mode early enough to protect itself. Doesn't look like I will be tuning this one because any warranty for engine damage I would be screwed!

I don't like the sounds of that!! How many times did you have it overheat into limp mode?? Now you have me worried about mine it's been into limp mode like 9 times! But i always found snow or shut it off and let it cool down. Highest I ever drove with it for a while was like 93 degrees until it eventually cooled off. I talked to the dealer and he had said not to worry about any engine damage that it goes into limp mode early enough to protect itself. Doesn't look like I will be tuning this one because any warranty for engine damage I would be screwed!

I'm not sure how many times exactly (15+), but some instances it was tough/impossible to get it out of limp mode (even with fresh deep powder). My mechanic riding friends that have witnessed since new, at this point (with all the water added) believe the issue is a head gasket (caused from overheating?), likely stemming initially from a problematic water pump or flow restriction. I'm concerned other engine components have been stressed from heat and will fail down the road (at minimum decreased lifespan). And also concerned after they get the engine rebuilt, the the issue may still exist if problem was somewhere else in the cooling system.

It's been an issue from the get-go, and strongly considering pursuing a replacement under the lemon law here in MN (apparently covers snowmobiles). The dealer says expect 5-6 weeks for engine repair, and has already been in with numerous reports of the issue and repeated inability to resolve.

Prior to the engine blowing/black smoke/pulp: It had been in limp mode, then seemed to come out of it and run really good for a period (but others behind me reporting intermittent puffs of black smoke). It never shut down on its own, I had to. It still technically ran when I dropped off at the dealer, but was smoking like hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed today on the lake with glare ice if I rode in about the 50 - 70 mph range it would hold a nice temperature and not get hot. Conversely in the trails were they were a little icy I had to ride it really hard to get the temperature to come down. I hit limp mode probably six times over the weekend and in less you're talking bare Road with nothing on it I found the best thing to do is keep riding to get her to cool back down - on the trail go faster on glare ice use a moderate speed.

I have had issues with overheat also. Been in limp mode maybe 3 times in 1850 miles.. These things are very sensitive to snow conditions. Especially EARLY morning when things are really tight. The snow flap is to far off ground when sitting on sled
Agreed. Found mornings with frozen iced up snow very useless for cooling purposes. Kept a close eye on the temp gauge for the first hour of riding last week in Ontario for 1,250 miles.

You asked me nicely and I'm sorry but I'm back at my hotel and 3 beers deep and I didn't read the whole thing. I'm in Quebec for a last hurrah and the SideWinder is one hot bitch because of the recent rain then very hard freeze. I'm may be stupid crazy or both but when she gets hot she wants more. More snow I mean. When overheating I pushed her hard to get her out of limp mode. Ice be damned. Moguls #*$&@ them. More throttle. Wouldn't ya know it. Theres a sweet spot. She might need scratchers (who doesn't) but I don't have them so I just kept riding to satisfy her. She gets enough eventually.
Good stuff, man! Had me laughing! True too.

2300 miles. Been in limp mode 4-5 times. It's definitely a conditions issue. BUT I still feel the snow flap is not long enough as the snow just seems to blast out the back and it's only catching on the bottom 2 inches of the flap

I didn't read thru all the post's, but i remember some where in here that yamaha puts almost 100% antifreeze from the factory, I changed mine out due to it was overheating to, and i also put water wetter in mine, never had a overheating problem again.

I didn't read thru all the post's, but i remember some where in here that yamaha puts almost 100% antifreeze from the factory, I changed mine out due to it was overheating to, and i also put water wetter in mine, never had a overheating problem again.
For clarification are you saying you have a Winder and changed the coolant or are you referring to your Apex? I had the same experience with my Attak, changed to 50/50 and much less problems overheating.

Crazy that Yamaha runs 100% glycol, but would they still do that building on the same lines as Cat?

In my buzzed post, and in my serious post, Im trying to say unless we are talking miles long stretches of bare pavement or absolutely no snow, stopping to cool it down is the worst thing to do. You have to ride some to get some snow and ice getting to the exchangers. Completely stopping to cool down seems to be the best thing to do ONLY when there is absolutely no snow or ice.

I've never been so frustrated with a sled!

Trails were frozen but had traffic on them so there was some snow on top. Couldn't ride sled more than 5 mins down the trail before it would go into limp mode for over heating. Took 3 hours to travel 30 miles.
Installing scratchers today but can't see how that will cool down the exchangers. I'm shocked that they didn't put a rad in these sleds for cooling. Both apexs I was with were fine.

Trails were frozen but had traffic on them so there was some snow on top. Couldn't ride sled more than 5 mins down the trail before it would go into limp mode for over heating. Took 3 hours to travel 30 miles.
Installing scratchers today but can't see how that will cool down the exchangers. I'm shocked that they didn't put a rad in these sleds for cooling. Both apexs I was with were fine.

I'm working on the rad and fan kit! ;)!

http://ty4stroke.com/threads/radiator-and-fan-kit.147123/

2300 miles. Been in limp mode 4-5 times. It's definitely a conditions issue. BUT I still feel the snow flap is not long enough as the snow just seems to blast out the back and it's only catching on the bottom 2 inches of the flap
how about a curved doo flap? would throw the snow up better.

how about a curved doo flap? would throw the snow up better.
Would be interesting to see if a longer flap would help. 192 nails and one would think it would not be a issue.. I cant imagine NON studded on hard packed trail in the AM

Sleds need snow, this year has been pretty poor overall. Trails are mint but no real snow is just hard marble ice, machines go fast but cooling can't keep up. I'm in Quebec and I have never seen a winter take down so many machines ( all brands) EVER. We all want to get out there and use them, hell they cost a lot of money and its cold out but they are not fan cooled. Drag sleds (grass and ice) all have cool down machines to regulate the temps after a hard run, running trails with inadiquite conditions produce problems. Scratchers, longer snowflaps, rads and fans will help but if your riding trails it will only prolong the inevitable if the conditions don't provide.

Your dealer needs to find out what's wrong because there is DEFINITELY something wrong. I only over-heated on ice when EVERYBODY else had same problem. I since removed 2 quarts coolant, added water & Water Wetter. I rode a lot of ice this week & NEVER went over 185 degrees. I didn't even use my scratchers yet. E-tec i was with over-heated 3 times. Of course i'm more careful when idling now & believe this radiator & fan would be a great addition, but something is wrong. I don't run studs & rode in 45 degrees down the sides of roads for some time also.

Back