• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help Overheat issues!!

Had my first overheat issues yesterday on very hard partially iced trails. Noticed 2 stages to the engine protection, first occurs at around 209 and permits slow speeds, second stage occurs at 222 - 223 F, that one stops sled in it's tracks.

It was 0 F out so it did not take but 5 minutes or so to cool down.

After second overheat I set my suspension settings down to 1 to lower sled.

I was lucky whereas that was all that was needed. Seemed to run stronger after those 2 episodes...

Sled rocks on really hard trails!!

Hey guys,i just came from where my sled is,and now that it is in a MTX tunnel,it does sit higher than it came factory LTX-LE 137, so I am think why cant I add a second piece of something to the stock snowflap,maybe something 4-6" longer would be good. I know there are a lot of very smart folks on this site,so maybe a few of you can think of what would make a good add on?

Had my first overheat issues yesterday on very hard partially iced trails. Noticed 2 stages to the engine protection, first occurs at around 209 and permits slow speeds, second stage occurs at 222 - 223 F, that one stops sled in it's tracks.

It was 0 F out so it did not take but 5 minutes or so to cool down.

After second overheat I set my suspension settings down to 1 to lower sled.

I was lucky whereas that was all that was needed. Seemed to run stronger after those 2 episodes...

Sled rocks on really hard trails!!

How many times did you have issues with it over heating? I only ever had mine up to the first stage of over heating, didn't know there was a second stage lol. Was looking at adding a tune and exhaust to the sled but am worried about doing that now since mine has overheated like 15 times now, never know what kind of damage that could cause, probably not a good idea to throw the warranty out the window.

I have a Sidewinder BT-X (SE, 153” 1.75 BC Track) and have had all kinds of issues with it overheating since new! Please read through as it seems this has ultimately cost me the engine!

At first I attributed to an air pocket, but after adding and adding water it seems its using/losing coolant somewhere! I’m not a mechanic and rely on the dealer to perform all work, but a couple of the guys from our club are (professional) mechanics and after witnessing these issues are now all in agreement there’s more to the problem.

The issue seems to be highlighted when riding and then stop for 5-10 minutes, when you start it up it immediately goes into limp mode. Knowing there is the smaller heat exchanger in the rear on the B-TX model, I’m careful after take-off from a stop (and especially in these instances) to immediately hit some deep fresh snow to load the skid and tunnel with (when stopped for a period, the snow melts/falls from the heat exchanger).

This is my 4th new Yamaha snowmobile in the last 7 years, and first MAJOR issue I’ve encountered with any of them. I’m super frustrated (and downright pissed at this point) as it’s ruined every ride I’ve taken on it. Due to the snow conditions near home this season, I’ve been forced to trailer 3-4 hours north to find good snow; it’s sure mess when you’re in the middle of the Northwood’s and you encounter these issues. Needless to say, I’ve spent a lot of time alone on the side of the trail trying to get this thing to cool down so I can ride it while NOT in limp mode.

## UPDATE ## My last ride this past weekend (fresh 13” snow, ungroomed trails) I encountered the same issues, but this time resulted in black smoke out of engine and windshield/panels along with pulp coming out of the exhaust. It’s clear the engine is toast and now the sled us sitting at the dealer awaiting to be torn apart. Not only is my concern they resolve the original overheating issue (in addition to the result engine issues), but my bigger concern is that if the heat has done this damage to the motor what other internal components have been severely stressed/compromised (ie; did not fail currently but will down the road).

Here’s the details/what I’ve attempted:

1. Use ice scratchers regularly (even when show conditions don’t require), every time I stop I look to confirm the heat exchangers are getting plenty of fresh snow. (mechanic friends observed and agree that is NOT the issue)

2. After stops and frequently while riding (trails) I ride the side and go off trail to pack the rear full of fresh snow, again heat exchangers have plenty of fresh snow on them.

3. At cold starts I’ve taken the radiator cap off and ran engine while adding water until full, then fill the overflow reservoir to the full line at ‘Cold’

4. Did the same procedure in #3 above on snowbank where front end was much higher than rear (to eliminate any potential air locks)

5. Had in to Yamaha dealer for break-in services at 90 miles and 550 miles and complained of the overheating and coolant usage, dealer has been unable to locate anything wrong other than low coolant level. I requested they pressure test and examine further, as the coolant is going somewhere (they could not locate any issues and attributed to burping/air).

6. Overflow reservoir never overflows/fills, level always only goes down.

7. Engine oil is at normal level and does not seem to be pressurized/foaming.

8. Radiator cap is secure and tight, no coolant leaking from there (or overflow tank).

9. Regularly monitor to ensure snow is not blocking the front intakes.

10. I’ve let dry off and then started/idled to see if I could spot a leak/puddle, but nothing!

11. Seems to occur at all air temps, frigid temps (below zero) may slightly decrease occurrences (?).

12. Riders behind me do not report any suspect odors from exhaust (until recently with black smoke)

13. It’s completely stock, and followed proper break-in procedures.

14. Due to the overheating issues I’m careful not to let it idle while not in motion, although from discovery it seems if it’s only going to sit for 1-2 minutes it’s better to leave running rather than turn off engine (due to engine heat soak?)

Wow..... This is exactly what I just experienced last weekend on a 3-day 1000KM tour around Lac St Jean in QC. I suspect I went into stage 1 limp probably 15-20 times. It usually occurred when we would stop. There were 6 of us, 2 winders, both LTX-LE's, both modified the same (Studs, etc...). He never overheated once..? It was damn cold too and hard but there was still allot of snow to properly cool IMO. I hit temps upwards of 115 Deg C!!!! but it never shut right down.

I found that if I idled, it would increase up to about 82Deg for a bit then just shoot up quite fast. If I turned it off as soon as we stopped, the moment I'd start it up again to go, it would shoot up and start to sputter. When we finally checked, I was really low on coolant. We finally found a gas station with Prestone 50/50 so I added, ran then added more, then ran. It reduced the occurrences but it still did it a few more times. Granted we stopped allot less on the last day. When running and after the temps went back down, I was consistent at 76-77 deg C. Even at points down to 72-74 because it was so cold!!!!

Last night I pulled the panels and did a thorough look over. I do not see anywhere coolant leakage. The coolant level on the res is not showing so will be topping it up again...

WHERE IS THE COOLANT GOING????

We got over 30cm a few days ago and might get out tomorrow. I sure do hope bringing the coolant level back up will resolve this but I still cannot figure out where all the coolant went????

I tend to lose i tiny bit of coolant every other run. About a 1/4 cup every 400 miles or so. I showed my dealer & he called Yamaha about this. They stated with this type of system it's NORMAL to lose small amounts of coolant regularly. Usually over-flow i was told. I DON"T have an over-heating issue at this time, but wanted my issue recorded in case of future problems...

See I don't get this! What the hell is the overflow bottle for. I have filled mine three to four times now and the overflow never sits at the cold level when cold as there is never anything in it. I never overheat either! Weird in my opinion and I love the sled. IT rocks!! even stock!!

Jester

See I don't get this! What the hell is the overflow bottle for. I have filled mine three to four times now and the overflow never sits at the cold level when cold as there is never anything in it. I never overheat either! Weird in my opinion and I love the sled. IT rocks!! even stock!!

Jester

I had to top mine off 3 times during the first 1500 miles but the past 2000 miles have not had to touch.

How many times did you have issues with it over heating? I only ever had mine up to the first stage of over heating, didn't know there was a second stage lol. Was looking at adding a tune and exhaust to the sled but am worried about doing that now since mine has overheated like 15 times now, never know what kind of damage that could cause, probably not a good idea to throw the warranty out the window.
Have you checked the % of water in the glycol , and add some water wetter , as suggested in this post .

Gonna have to check it and then add some water wetter.

Jester

I had to top mine off 3 times during the first 1500 miles but the past 2000 miles have not had to touch.
Wow,you must be one of the top milage people we have on here this year,sounds like yours is rocking.

X2
last 1000miles no issues first 1200 added coolant every 3-400 miles

For you guys that have added water wetter to your sleds how much did you add? I still have to check my coolant mixture rate, I think I will try to make sure its around 50/50 so I should be good to -37 or whatever, will the water wetter affect my coolant mixture?

Better late then never!! Just now reading thru this post and noticed that you had asked me a question..

So here goes.
Twice on one day and once on another day. Mine was due to very hard snow pack or iced trails!

Nothing new for Yamaha's. Have had to add rear heat exchangers on many previously owned models.

02-03 Vipers, 03 RX1 and 06 Attak turbo. Once added all of these overheat issues were solved, even the Attak turbo never overheated again. Too bad same fix won't apply for the SW whereas they already have rear heat exchangers.

Shall check my coolant ratio this season and may add some water wetter BUT have had water pump issues with water wetter, 97 SX water pump was driven by a hard rubber wheel( side wall to sided wall) and after adding water wetter had to change them out because they were slipping. Replaced them and replaced with fresh anti-freeze minus the water wetter. Design ? too much water wetter ? etc??? Shall do some research on style water pump this one has first!!

Anyways hope you remedy the overheating problem, your lug height must make it more prone to overheating on less then perfect trail conditions. These sleds need more cooling for sure, much like many other Yamies of past...

Back