• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help Overheat issues!!

Not sure if you guys have tried Redline Waterwetter in your coolant but it does make a difference in cooling. On my Digatron it reduced my operating temp by 15c cooler with no other changes. You still need snow to cool the motor but it does make a difference for less then $20 bucks. Sorry about the aviator, maybe I should change it.

PLEASE don't change it! And yes, i put Redline water Wetter in. The most significant thing i've noticed is no "foaming" which has to help...

Not sure if you guys have tried Redline Waterwetter in your coolant but it does make a difference in cooling. On my Digatron it reduced my operating temp by 15c cooler with no other changes. You still need snow to cool the motor but it does make a difference for less then $20 bucks. Sorry about the aviator, maybe I should change it.
no apologies, i think they were exaggerating their distraction.

Actionjack is right....you have to be moving good to keep it cool. Every time I dicked around waiting on guys....it heats up within 8 mins, and then it's really, really hard to cool down. I try to never get to that point....and if avoid that, you can still ride even at a crawl. I limped into a gas station 20 miles AFTER my fuel light came on, creeping through the bumps....if I'd go any faster than 5 to 10 mph, the engine would sputter. But it never went to limp mode.

That said: I also knew when to park the sled. Melt downs and rain are not the time for this sled. Maybe Travis's radiator will do the trick.

I only went into limp mode in the very beginning....when I had the typical air in the exchangers. However, I thought the dealer adds the antifreeze?

Mine is green and NOT the Yamaha blue stuff. I added 3/4 of a Yamaha jug....turning it a teal color, but I haven't had a problem since.

People ask me how I like the sled.....and the first thing I say is it's easy to over-heat. But the truth is, unless there is a serious issue....it's not that easy.

Q. Arrius

I've never been so frustrated with a sled!

Trails were frozen but had traffic on them so there was some snow on top. Couldn't ride sled more than 5 mins down the trail before it would go into limp mode for over heating. Took 3 hours to travel 30 miles.
Installing scratchers today but can't see how that will cool down the exchangers. I'm shocked that they didn't put a rad in these sleds for cooling. Both apexs I was with were fine.

Sounds exactly like my experience, trails had some loose grainy snow on top and was still over heating constantly. If it warmed up and trails softened up I was fine. How many times did yours go into limp mode? On my 2100km trip mine went into limp mode like 15 times. I think it's limp mode because if I would go slow enough it would start bogging. I would always shut it down and wait a good 10 minutes and then continue on. It's a pain when it's like 10 at night and this is happening when your en route to your destination. I'm just hoping this hasn't done any damage to the engine or head gaskets. I even lift the front of the sled up and pulled the cap off the coolant reservoir to make sure all air was out of the system but still had issues. Going to check the coolant mixture and try some of the water wetter stuff

I added water wetter today and it ran better. Can't wait for Travis to finish his rad and fan kit!

I added water wetter today and it ran better. Can't wait for Travis to finish his rad and fan kit!
I don't believe I have felt a limp mode condition .
I don't have the temperature degrees display showing , but I seem to run between the 2 t's in coolanT Temp gauge .
How hot in F degrees is it at the T in temp ?

Actionjack is right....you have to be moving good to keep it cool. Every time I dicked around waiting on guys....it heats up within 8 mins, and then it's really, really hard to cool down. I try to never get to that point....and if avoid that, you can still ride even at a crawl. I limped into a gas station 20 miles AFTER my fuel light came on, creeping through the bumps....if I'd go any faster than 5 to 10 mph, the engine would sputter. But it never went to limp mode.

That said: I also knew when to park the sled. Melt downs and rain are not the time for this sled. Maybe Travis's radiator will do the trick.

I only went into limp mode in the very beginning....when I had the typical air in the exchangers. However, I thought the dealer adds the antifreeze?

Mine is green and NOT the Yamaha blue stuff. I added 3/4 of a Yamaha jug....turning it a teal color, but I haven't had a problem since.

People ask me how I like the sled.....and the first thing I say is it's easy to over-heat. But the truth is, unless there is a serious issue....it's not that easy.

Q. Arrius

interesting...I had the limp mode after extended idle at a station....cruised with it slow for a bit to get out to the trail and then my studs im assuming kicking it up and was gone? how about ice scratchers?

interesting...I had the limp mode after extended idle at a station....cruised with it slow for a bit to get out to the trail and then my studs im assuming kicking it up and was gone? how about ice scratchers?

also I added coolant over the cold line and it seems to stay and not overflow and since then it stays much cooler or maybe its my imagination?

Early in the year I went on a 2200 km run with 2 sidewinders, one leading the group of six and another 4th sled in group, day one we started off on rock hard trails with a few short road runs between trails, sidewinder in front with out studs never had a problem, studded sidewinder "4th sled" in front of me went into limp mode twice that morning within half hour, second time he grabbed chunks of snow and held it on the tunnel cooler for a minute, started it up and all was good the rest of the day which was on hard packed trails and roads, never overheated again all week...you would think the first sidewinder would of overheated being first on a freshly groomed hard icy trail, he was barley leaving marks that's how hard it was...weird...

Lug lifts the sled of the base and a stud lifts more since it's taller yet...if it's ice or rock hard...you are further away from the precious lubricant/coolant you need..a spacer if you will...only when the stud can rip this up like upon acceleration from a dead dig does the stud actually help compared to hurt

I have found that the snow flap makes a huge difference in any of these sleds cooling capacity in less than ideal conditions. Last year my wife had over heating issues on her 1200 renegade X. The reason was she was too light for the springs on her sled and the rear suspension never went down enough so all the snow and ice just went out the back and never hit the exchangers. This year I put softer springs and her ride height is much lower and no more over heat issues. Make sure your rear suspension isn't set too stiff or you will have the same problem. I have never had an issue with my SW in 1600 miles. Even in warm conditions or cold hard packed conditions my sled stays in the proper range. Another thing to remember is these 4 strokes are designed to run much warmer than any 2 strokes. I think the thermostat doesn't open till 165 degrees. I also think that there have been way more complaints of over heating the last two Winters and it's probably due to the fact that we have had poor conditions both years. I have never seen so many freeze thaw conditions before in all my years of snowmobiling.

I have found that the snow flap makes a huge difference in any of these sleds cooling capacity in less than ideal conditions. Last year my wife had over heating issues on her 1200 renegade X. The reason was she was too light for the springs on her sled and the rear suspension never went down enough so all the snow and ice just went out the back and never hit the exchangers. This year I put softer springs and her ride height is much lower and no more over heat issues. Make sure your rear suspension isn't set too stiff or you will have the same problem. I have never had an issue with my SW in 1600 miles. Even in warm conditions or cold hard packed conditions my sled stays in the proper range. Another thing to remember is these 4 strokes are designed to run much warmer than any 2 strokes. I think the thermostat doesn't open till 165 degrees. I also think that there have been way more complaints of over heating the last two Winters and it's probably due to the fact that we have had poor conditions both years. I have never seen so many freeze thaw conditions before in all my years of snowmobiling.
I have the air ride on my doo and if ever an issue, drop to 1st level and problem solved. I've also seen guys try to cut the flap along the transition line against advice after backing over it and end up buying a new flap quickly.

Back