• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Help Overheat issues!!

Get some ice scratchers and be done with the over heat issue .The snow flap is also not long enough on hard trails thus the need foe scratchers .

Here in eastern Canada the scratchers are a must with the sidewinder.

I think scratchers are a must for ALL sleds who do serious groomed trail riding, but this issue was not just hard pack situations. After i went to more water & Water Wetter and the motor broke -in, the over heating went away. Even sitting at idle it's not as bad. I am now on par with any other sled i ride with. As a matter of fact, the Rush & E-tec were running hot on my last ride out & i was ok. The Rush actually blew his motor & i towed him home and STILL didn't over heat...

I had bad over heat issues with both of my 2016 1200's two seasons ago. I think it was due to the conditions We were riding in. Last season we had zero issues with either our 1200's or my Sidewinder. I now have scratchers on all my sleds for when the conditions are hard with little loose snow.

I had around 1000 miles?
on my first overheat, it was conditions for sure. I shall find the post on Ice Scratchers and decide on a set.

Right. Even freshly groomed trails in the cold morning are hard & all sleds heat up. Sometimes we make the guy with most studs go first. The temp gauge is a great plus and i just monitor it & adjust for conditions. I used to be OBSESSED with it, but not anymore...

I've never ever used ice scratchers on any of my sleds.. most of the time I haven't found a need. However, there has been a time or two where conditions have been rock hard and my sleds did start to get warm(especially my Apex).

Perhaps I'll invest in some for my new Sidewinder. Don't know anything about them...Any particular brand or style that anybody recommends? Or is there just one brand/style???

I've never ever used ice scratchers on any of my sleds.. most of the time I haven't found a need. However, there has been a time or two where conditions have been rock hard and my sleds did start to get warm(especially my Apex).

Perhaps I'll invest in some for my new Sidewinder. Don't know anything about them...Any particular brand or style that anybody recommends? Or is there just one brand/style???

I've had good test results with cable scratchers and offer a slick mounting kit to put them on skis.

http://www.barnofparts.com/ice-scratchers-mounts-new

So I tested my coolant today and it's rated for -45deg F. I think 50/50 ratio is like -37deg F. So I guess I could add a little water to it to bring it down, it should help a little with the overheat issues I hope. Definitely going to get in touch wih Travis and order some scratchers, and hopefully a clutch protector plate.

Get some ice scratchers and be done with the over heat issue .The snow flap is also not long enough on hard trails thus the need foe scratchers .

Just curious if you have tested with any alterations to extend snow flap. May have to test this myself and if it works create an extension for tunnel to drop snow flap. Thinking several elevation holes so flap can be adjusted as rider weight and suspension settings will yield different flap heights .

Reactions: krm
Does this style scratcher come with a landing for non use, or as shown simply laying on ski front for that. If so do they stay there on rough trails or other?

The scratchers do not come with any landing for non use nor do I supply anything. The hooks will hook onto most ski saddles. I've looked into making a universal landing hook, but have not come up with anything yet that will fit multiple ski designs.

I just got an 18 Winder and gone thru all 7 pages of this post, good read! Got her home and checked for rubbing lines, kinked lines, loose clamps, coolant level and ratio ect. ect. My ratio shows the coolant good down to -35 F. That shocked me cause Yamaha tends to set the ratio for the North Pole riding! When I got my Attak the temp light would come on occasionally till I installed a rear heat exchanger and thinned the mixture to 60/40 (It was -65 F. stock from Yamaha) . Light never came on again. I'll be adding water wetter to mine, and it seems once there's a few thousand miles on the motor they loosen up and run cooler, at least I hope so!

Back