• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

I talked to my local yamaha dealer and they told me they have NEVER had a starter go bad?

Ok mechanic told me today that they are putting in new and updated starters, gears are all the same but it is a new starter apparently. Not sure what the deal is with that.
Maybe they put some kind of clutch in it? Or maybe they moved the mounting holes. Still would like to actually see a bad gear. If any discoloration from heat it would be from not being aligned.

Just wondering if it missfire create kickback broke starter and gears are the issue, maybe going with iridium plug would help to fire up !

Should be a recall this is getting rediculous. It's ruining snowmobile trips and shortening guys seasons what is going on in the office at yamaha.

It wont ever be a recall unless its safety related. The gear reduction failures on 07 Phazers were one example. Yamaha keeps tight tolerances for longevity sometimes that bites you in the butt. As with the gear reductions I think if this doesnt happen early its not going to happen. Unless it really is the kickback causing issue. I am sure they have or are figuring that out.

My bet is squarely on the kickback/ECU update causing it. Had 2400 miles of no kick back starts last season and after the ECU update this winter it starts kicking back randomly while starting and now surprise surprise, the starter gears are shot... When you have a random spread of sleds from very low mile new 2015 sleds to higher mile 2014 sleds suddenly having the problem you have to agree that a gear quality problem is not the most glaring possible cause.

I agree some people are having issues starting after reflash yet some it greatly helped. My buddy with 7000 is one. His was a terrible hot starter. No issues since reflash yet I was just talking to a owner yesterday whos is worse. Its hit and miss. Reflash needs to be looked at way too inconsistent. I am now convinced if reflash is not done yet dont do it till everyone is happy. Would never think something so routine in the Auto and Rec industry could become so complicated but it does seem it has.

My starter went out at 3200 miles. 200 miles after the reflash. I don't ever remember a kickback prior to the reflash. I have had 3 very distinct kickbacks since the starter replacement and the starter sounds rougher after each start. BTW my starter didn't break any gears. The magnet inside shattered.

One big questions is why are all these sleds different? Some kick back, some don't, lots of other sled specific issues. It would seem all the hard parts should be the same, unless Yamaha switched suppliers for the engine components. (There is some of this going on for 2016 per Chris Reid) Things like sensors and varying accuracy could be an issue, or is the software somehow being corrupted? Who knows. I doubt we will ever know.

I agree some people are having issues starting after reflash yet some it greatly helped. My buddy with 7000 is one. His was a terrible hot starter. No issues since reflash yet I was just talking to a owner yesterday whos is worse. Its hit and miss. Reflash needs to be looked at way too inconsistent. I am now convinced if reflash is not done yet dont do it till everyone is happy. Would never think something so routine in the Auto and Rec industry could become so complicated but it does seem it has.

Mine was also randomly a bad hot starter and the reflash completely took care of that but it also introduced the kick back problem and now the starter/gears are toast. When you actually hear and feel the kick back happen it is obvious that some very bad and destructive forces are being sent backward thru the starter gears.

I should be back on the trail this week. We found a smashed Nitro. We are getting the parts to put in mine to get me up and running. Plus they gave me a loner for the weekend. Now that is an awesome dealer.

Back