• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

Add me to the group, last year two hot start issues not a big deal , got re flash at start of year 2weeks ago had a ruff start and a kick back went for a ride up the lake stopped sled stalled ,??? Two days later fired sled up went in to put gear on came out stalled . Took sled to dealer he started it twice ,first time no problem second time no start strange sound. Talk to them today starter is seized,asked about stalling issue they said yamaha maybe working on another re flash .

I just found out today that a piece of the gear took out the stator and magneto. Wow! When the starter goes it can do some serious damage.

I talked to Rep and he told me there was a second Re flash that took care of kick back and starter problem ?

No second one here yet. Once reflash is done you are stuck with it good or bad.

It was about 2 weeks ago he told me this as I asked him a lot of question b 4 I spring order a 2016 stx dx 146.

Got one year warranty left better be a new re flash or something I'm starting to lose faith in yamaha . I love my viper so far my favorite yamaha in the last 11 years and I've had 7. I don't really want to go back to an apex so hopefully they get the bugs figured out or it might be time to try another 4stroke I hope not . We can always blame cat but my sled has YAMAHA on it !!!

Maybe the 2016's have a new flash that the rest of us will get before next winter. I would think they would want this fixed, it must be costing them a fortune. Two out of my three vipers have had starters go and my buddy's viper had starter, magneto and flywheel go.

Have there been any starters go on the 2015 after manufacture date that didn't require the re flash?

Back