• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

How many vipers with starters going bad?

Well we finally got some snow here in nova Scotia, I had my wife's 2015 ltx with the 2015 re flash out yesterday and it starts way better then my 14 xtx with the re flash.
I don't understand how the same sled can start so differently.
The idle is still crappy though.
Time to head to Bathurst. I got some miles on in beaverbank today.

Next victim !!

Mines a 2014 XTX SE. Starter went out just over 5000 miles. Broken tooth on starter gear, broken tooth on idler gear, teeth ate the stator. Both teeth recovered in stator.

Never had a single kickback or cold/hot start issue. Never been reflashed. Reverse Actuator recall completed. Always let the gauges come up and fuel pump cycle before turning key. Was driving home and just before I got it in the garage my rpm's on idle went down to about 900. Got it in the garage, turned it off, and it restarted with idle right back up to about 1500rpm but flashed code P1338. Turned it off and came back 5 mins later to start. She turned over twice and then would just click......no spin on the starter........didn't even hear any grinding that I can recall. Voltage tested battery with and without load and battery good. Glad it happened in the heated garage.

Still under warranty so everything will be replaced. Not doing the reflash as I had no issues before this. Had a 3 yr warranty which expires Dec. 2016 so now thinking about extending it as I LOVE THIS MACHINE and unless the motor blows I won't be replacing it anytime soon.

Issues : Loose chaincase tensioner from factory
Left handgrip warmer
Starter/Stator

5000+ miles of nothing but fun and it's never been towed !!

Last edited:
Just had the second starter go out in less than 2k miles on my 2014 SR Viper. First time it went out at 1.8k miles, and this time it lasted a little less than 200 miles. Both times the starter seized up...luckily didn't break anything else. I don't live anywhere near a dealer---I think it's time to sell to someone that lives near a dealer.

Just had the second starter go out in less than 2k miles on my 2014 SR Viper. First time it went out at 1.8k miles, and this time it lasted a little less than 200 miles. Both times the starter seized up...luckily didn't break anything else. I don't live anywhere near a dealer---I think it's time to sell to someone that lives near a dealer.
Dang solenoid has to be sticking on yours. Policy at my Dealer is starter and solenoid always get replaced when starter goes.

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG

Well I'm back up and running. New starter, idler gear, and stator. Time will tell but I still love this machine. Don't know bout y'all but I've got over 800 miles in already this winter and should break 1000 this week !! Some of it on the backup machine but I'm still riding !!

I'm sitting at 5269 miles on the Viper. Had a good 107 mile run today. I pronounce her "Good to Go" !!!

Hope that's not the kiss of death.....LOL !!

Last edited:

Does your sled turn over slow like the battery may be weak?

The Viper starting problem is really bad. My 2014 Viper LTX is now on its third starter. First one completely blew out 1950 miles, the second at 2700, and from the moment the third was replaced the sled would kick back, and have starting problems again. Each starter replaced by different dealers. Dealers are getting BS from corporate on whether or not a fix is in the works. I have filed a complaint at Yamaha and worked it up as high as I can. They admit knowing of a cold starting problem but have no solution as of yet and no estimate of a fix. All the crap dealers have been fed by their district sales reps is garbage. Fortunately I'm under warranty and now that I can replicate it, I am going to blow up starter after starter costing them well more than the sled until someone from corporate listens. Terrible business on Yamaha's part. No way would I buy another Viper. Clearly they have a virus of a problem and it will start to replicate in more sleds with time. I've heard the battery thing, gas (only used non ethanol) , cycle it several times and hold the key longer. All have been done and have zero help in a cold start situation. The sled rides great but if it isn't reliable it is garbage and worthless to me. A Pissed Off and Angry Yamaha Viper owner here.

When it was super cold, I ran the battery slighty low because it wouldn't start, but right before this happened it was starting just fine.

Low battery causes a lot of heat on the magnets. I would strongly suggest load testing your battery or just getting another.

Back